Teaching Certification from state to state.. Questions...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jen78tx, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

Aug 30, 2015

Hi all. I am curious to know, if I get my teaching certification in one state, if I move to another state, will I have to get re-certified in that state and take another exam? If anyone has some good information on that, I would definitely appreciate it...

3. history

history Companion

Aug 30, 2015

Each state is different

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 30, 2015

Yes. You may be exempt from taking a test, but it varies state to state and if there are reciprocity agreements. For instance, I moved to another state and qualified for a standard cert since the two states had a reciprocity agreement and I had already fulfilled the requirements for certification in the new state (30 credit hours in content area, 1 year of full-time teaching experience, etc.) and the new state accepted my content and teaching tests from the previous state. The only pain was the paper work (running around getting transcripts, notarized statement, ordering my tests results, etc.) and WAITING. In the summer it's worse because the dept. of eds are back logged.

I looked at some other states' requirements that I was thinking of moving to, and it would've been a similar process. If you already went through a certification program, have documented experience, and passed state tests, you generally should have no problem. But it depends on what state you're coming from and probably what you're teaching. Some states don't have reciprocity with every state. Look to see what the reciprocity agreements are between the states you're moving from and to.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

Most likely.

I moved to NJ from VA...had to take one additional section of the PRAXIS. NJ has 'reciprocity' with NY (I live within an easy commute from NYC and about 3 miles from state border) and would need to pick up an additional class....

Check with the DOE of the states in which you are interested.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 30, 2015

You would have to look up the requirements for each state you're considering, or call the DOE for each state. Each one is different. I moved from OH to CO and didn't have to take any additional tests or classes to get my initial CO license. I just had to apply and pay for it.

7. bowler

bowler Rookie

Aug 30, 2015

It depends. When I moved from Michigan to Florida nothing...they were reciprocal. However when I moved from Michigan to Texas I had to get a one year out of stats certificate and then take the tears and pay for Texas certification.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 30, 2015

Not sure if it was the school I went to or the states, but I can not get certified in IL because I am short a few classes & the program I went through was in IN.
    I have a Master's degree & can not work as a professional teacher.
    So silly.
    But I've heard that IL is a stickler on these things.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

But I've found my way around these things and still have found good teaching jobs with decent pay while avoiding public schools :)

9. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 30, 2015

I've heard IL is pretty rigid with requirements which may be why I haven't had a hard time transferring my credentials to another state (this is where I'm originally from). Most states will accept IL certs I believe.
    Can't you get a provisional license and finish up the requirements in the process?

10. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Aug 30, 2015

My original teaching license is VA but I am also certified in TN and PA. To transfer to TN I only had to pay a $75 application fee and send my VA license, PRAXIS, and transcript. To transfer to PA, I had to pay a $125 application fee, send license/PRAXIS/transcript, and take both sections of PRAXIS 1. I have heard some people must take PRAXIS 2 again because their scores don't pass in the new state. Just like everyone else has said, each state is different.

ChildWhisperer -- while I was waiting for my PA license to come through I was able to get emergency certification but only through my school district. They called the DOE to vouch for me but I had to apply for emergency certification first. You might be able to do the same. That seems awful silly that you can't get a job with a Masters degree.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2015

Each state is different. You could move to one state and only have to purchase a license. You could move to another state and be required to take tests. Initial certificates from some states transfer more easily.

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2015

Each state is different, but most are very similar. Many states will have only a class or two that you will have to take. Some will require you to take tests and a whole lot more. You have to really check on the state.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2015

A Web search for "___ teacher licensure out of state", where the blank is filled by the name of a state, almost without fail yields a Web page. Be sure to stick to pages that are pretty clearly owned by the state in question.

15. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

Aug 31, 2015

Thanks so much everyone!