teaching cellular organization

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by rayjc2, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rayjc2

rayjc2 Rookie

Oct 17, 2009

Hello everyone, first year MATH teacher here who got sucked into teaching life science.

I am starting cellular organization this week and I have no idea how to introduce it to the students.

In need of resources and suggestions!

3. KateL

KateL Habitué

Oct 19, 2009

Do you have access to microscopes? The problem with teaching cells at this grade level is that it is so abstract. If you can show them prepared slides of muscles and plants, etc. the students will start to form a concept of cells. If you can have them make their own slides from onions or their cheeks, that's even better!

I begin with the microscopes and then move into organelles from there. The students need to first form the concept of a cell before they can learn what goes on inside it.

4. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

Do you have a NSTA membership or know someone who does? There are lots of great lesson ideas about cellular structure as well.

I agree with starting with microscopes first, but I strongly recommend against having students use their own cheek cells. Even though it is something we have all done and loved in the past, it is very unacceptable for students to use any bodliy fluids in any middle school lab situation these days.

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Oct 22, 2009

The only bodily fluid we're not allowed to use is blood. As long as they only handle their own cheek slide, it's fine. I bleach all of the slides and coverslips afterwards. It's not like they don't share drinks and kiss. Lighten up.

6. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 23, 2009

I would love to lighten up; however, our school district and state does not allow for us to use any body fluid. Can you be absolutely positive that a student only handles their own silde? If you feel you can, then great. The difference is also that they choose to share drinks and kiss versus a teacher mandating the use of any bodily fluid for a class and a grade. All I was doing was suggesting not to use cheek cells based on my experience; any teacher is always free to make the decision that works best for them in their situation.