Teaching CA standards to Kindergarten students.

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mudpie1598, Feb 6, 2011.

1. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Feb 6, 2011

I have a stull lesson coming up and I'm supposed to mention the CA state standards at the beginning on the lesson. I wanted to know how you all did it? Did you "re-explain" the standard so children would understand? Also, did you tell them that they were like "rules" you had to follow which helped guide your teaching so that they were getting everything they needed to know for Kindergarten. How do you do it in your classroom?

Please help, thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2011

I usually just started with today we are going to work on....whatever the skill is in child friendly terms.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2011

I tell them the objectives, but of course in kid-friendly terms. I do this before every lesson so they know what they should get out of the lesson. It helps them to understand what goal we are working on.

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 7, 2011

My objectives are posted and repeated- we try to check of our objectives (goals!) as we finish them. I have them all listed on the board and we review our goals before we begin and we revisit the lesson goals before each lesson and finally, we check of what goals were accomplished at the end of the day. To start, I simply explained objectives is another word for goals. It is what we hope to accomplish that day! The objectives are child friendly, but I still use many of the same words and we discuss their meaning. They are surprisingly good at remembering the words and defs of words!

7. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 9, 2011

The Standards aren't for the kids' consumption; they are for you to focus your teaching. Create a simple objective or "big idea" for each lesson to say to the kids. It can even be stated as a "We will find out what happens when". My former principal had me submit lesson plans with lesson objectives stated for each. I no longer have to do that, but it really helped me to focus on what we were accomplishing with each lesson time.

SwOceanGal, that sounds fantastic! How do you work that in to your day??

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2011

I read the objectives. I have it copied with pictures (that they lil ones link to). The kids help me recite and then say it in kid language.

We have to state SE's before EVERY lesson. The kids actually enjoy it.

I disagree - I think the Se's are for kids' consumption. My kinder kids learn to expect what we do using those Se's and yes I tell them what it means. Reading SE's (because they learn the language) really increasing vocabulary.

I can ask my kids, why do we read our expectations? They respond, "It tells us what we're supposed to learn".

We have BIG marks against us if we don't recite them with kids. It is in the system used for walk-through scoring.

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2011

I type all my Se's at the beginning of the year (or summer) in a word document. Find appropriate clip art to help give my kinders a visual for each Se. I put them in page protectors and on a ring. They are easy to flip to. For many of the Se's that we use everyday we even have hand gestures. Little kids really link on to these things.

Some of my colleauges post them on the promethean board. Either way works. I just like not having to turn on the promethean board to do Se's. I like having them on a little flipbook. I am notorious about putting things down in different places. When I lose my Se's - the kids are great. They find them quicker than I can. They realize that the Se's are important. They remind us what we are supposed to learn.

10. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 10, 2011

What I mean by the Standards is:
    What you mean by Se's is the Kid-friendly version, I'm guessing? :?
    Never saw the kid-friendly ones before, thanks for that link, Sarge!

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2011

We state both - Se as written and then restate in kid friendly language.

12. Queen1095

Queen1095 New Member

Feb 10, 2011

Sarge, great link! I'm in Texas, but the language is very helpful. I'm going to use it for my objectives.

Does anyone know where I can find "kid friendly" TEKS? I've searched, but haven't found anything helpful.