teaching bridge class

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by mom23kids, Apr 26, 2008.

1. mom23kids

mom23kids New Member

Apr 26, 2008

Hello.. I have 4/5th grade self contained class. I need to teach to the curriculum. We do reading/writing workshop so I find this easy to do with multi levels. However, I always struggle with social studies and math. I need to teach my 4th graders fourth grade SS and my 5th graders fifth grade ss. I need to do 5th grade math with my fifth graders and 4th grade math with my 4th graders. (of course I differentiate in the grade)
    We do everyday math and there is so much to it. Im pretty much guiding them the entire lesson. So I can't split the 2 grades in one period. Same for SS. Curriculum is different, How do you guys do this? I always go home feeling I did wrong by someone and feel I didn't do enough. Is there a system anyone can share? TIA
    We do not have SS texts so I pretty much get things on my own off the internet, but do follow the NYS SS curriculum.

3. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Apr 26, 2008

I teach 1st and 2nd graders. I have my students grouped by grade level. When I am not working with a group, they are doing workstations. I give them work they can do independently. This can be worksheets, file folder games, etc. You can also set up other type of stations depending on how high functioning your students are. You could search the Internet for ideas on workstations. Some other things the students could do is read at the reading center, computer time, puzzle time, etc.

Hope this helps