Teaching Book Recommendations?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Ethel989, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Ethel989

Ethel989 Rookie

Mar 19, 2011

Hi! I am on the downhill side of my first year. I have certainly learned a lot and have much more to learn.
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an essential book for a high school teacher? I have Wong's book, but I am debating on some others like the Love and Logic one, or Whole Brain teaching, etc. Sometimes teaching books seem more elementary school focused; just wanted to see if any high school teachers have a favorite.

Thank you!
    :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2011

Welcome to A to Z!!

No, sorry, I haven't got a clue.

But to be honest, I think that there are some people here who have amazingly wonderful advice to give. Read through enough of the posts here, and you'll start to see who they are. Their advice is current, topical and most important, it's real world. They're not pie-in-the-sky, they're teachers and administrators dealing with real kids in real time.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2011

I like Teaching Outside the Box; it's geared toward high school.

5. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 20, 2011

Love and Logic should be read by anyone who works with kids.

6. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Mar 20, 2011

Here's the list of books that I read during the year before entering my credential program (while also working as a substitute teacher and studying for the CSET-English). (from http://www.markwelchblog.com/2003/04/19/considering-a-career-change-thoughts-on-becoming-a-teacher/ )

Year-in-the-classroom books:
    • And Still We Rise (Miles Corwin) [Los Angeles] excellent
    • Educating Esmi (Emse Raji Codell) hmmm
    • Teaching Stories (Judy Logan) [San Francisco] very good
    • Holler If You Hear Me (Greg Michie) [Chicago] quite good
    • Will My Name Be Shouted Out: Reaching Inner City Students Through thePower of Writing (Stephen O’Connor) [New York City] pretty good
    • Class Dismissed: A Year in the Life of an American High School… by Meredith Maran [Berkeley, CA]
    • My First Year As A Teacher (Peal Rock Kane, ed.) light reading
    • I Expected to Be Fired (Jen Southworth) awful
    Perspectives on Education
    • The Schools Our Children Deserve: Moving Beyond Traditional Classrooms and “Tougher Standards” (Alfie Kohn) excellent
    • Failing at Fairness: How Our Schools Cheat Girls (Myra & David Sadler) excellent
    Teaching:
    • Time for Meaning: Crafting Literate Lives in Middle and High School (Randy Bomer) great
    • Other People’s Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom (Lisa Delpit) excellent
    • Crossing the Mainstream: Multicultural Perspectives in Teaching Literature (Eileen Iscoff Oliver) great
    • I Read It, But I Don’t Get It (Cris Tovani) very good (and the full text is online!)
    • Urban Teaching: The Essentials (Lois Weiner) okay
    • Lifers: Learning from At-Risk Adolescent Readers (Pamela N. Mueller) good
    • In the Middle: New Understandings About Writing, Reading, and Learning by Nancie Atwell very good
    • Seeking Diversity: Language Arts With Adolescents by Linda Rief quite good
    • It’s Never Too Late: Leading Adolescents to Lifelong Literacy by Janet Allen, Tom Romano good
    • Radical Equations (Robert Moses) interesting ideas, poorly expressed
    • Winning Year One: A Survival Guide for First Year Teachers by Carol Fuery okay
    • Illuminating Texts: How to Teach Students to Read the World by Jim Burke
    • Mosaic of Thought by Keane and Zimmerman
    • Reading Reminders: Tools, Tips, and Techniques by Jim Burke
    Not terrific:
    • Reflection in the Writing Classroom Kathleen Blake Yancey
    • To Teach (William Ayers) hmmm
    • What’s Going On (1982, D’Arcy & Kealy, editors) fascinating!
    • The First Days of School (Wong & Wong) some good, some bad
    • Tools for Teaching (Fred Jones) some good, some bad
    • Teaching With Love and Logic (Fay & Funk) some good, some bad
    • A Mind at a Time (Mel Levine) interesting, sometimes repetetive & long-winded
    • The Elements of Teaching (Banner & Cannon)
    • The Disciplined Mind (Howard Gardner) yawn
    • Lives on the Boundary: A Moving Account of the Struggles and Achievements of America’s Educational Underprepared by Mike Rose
    • Image Grammar : Using Grammatical Structures to Teach Writing by Harry R. Noden

7. Ethel989

Ethel989 Rookie

Mar 22, 2011

I appreciate the input, all. I am definitely writing down suggestions for summer reading.
    Alice, I think you are right - I have read these boards for a while before joining, and there is so much knowledge on here.
    Thank you for the amazing list, Mark! I just got Other People's Children as it sounds very interesting.

8. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Mar 23, 2011

I already have a huge summer reading list but I'm kind of wary about doing all of it over the summer because I like to read something and then try it out right away to see what happens! If I read five books over the summer there is a very slim chance I'll remember all the great stuff in there and be able to apply it during the year.

I've been making my way through the book: Teach like a Champion, 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College. Most of the techniques in there can be applied to high school. I'm also on the downhill of my first year!

9. Ethel989

Ethel989 Rookie

Mar 23, 2011

StudentTeach: Wow, I almost forgot that I have Teach like a Champion. My school gave it to all the teachers in August, but in the frenzy of new teacherhood, I put it aside. I will have to read it soon. Congrats to you for surviving the 1st year too!!!

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 24, 2011

If you work in an inner city school or a school with a lot of students living in poverty, I would suggest Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby Payne and Savage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol.

For teaching techinques, I recommend, When Kids Can't Read by Kylene Beers and Do I Really Have to Teach Reading? by Cris Tovani. Both books have practical content area strategies to help teachers reach struggling students.

11. Ethel989

Ethel989 Rookie

Mar 24, 2011

I just read the Ruby Payne book over Spring Break - it was very interesting. Savage Inequalities sounds familiar...I'll have to look for that.