Teaching blended classes with high school and adult students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JessicaAna@Phy, Jun 25, 2020.

1. JessicaAna@Phy

JessicaAna@Phy New Member

Jun 25, 2020

Hello everyone. I am Jess for the past three years I have taught Biology to mostly freshman and sophomore. I just accepted a position at the technical school teaching that is associated with school. I will be teaching Anatomy and Physiology to students who wants to pursue a medical career. Most of the students will be juniors with a some seniors but I will also have some adult students.

I know I am probably shooting in the dark here but I would like to ask if any teachers out there have been in a classroom with both teens and adults? I’ve been told that all the adult students understand all rules and guidelines for the classroom they must follow and they agree before accepted in the class.

I guess I am nervous because this will be different from what i am used to. I did talk to a couple of the A@P teachers back in April but the way the school has been shut down I haven’t got to talk to them about things and how they run things in their class. I assume I will treat the adults as adults and the high school students as high school students. However, I did have one teacher tell me students are students. Adult students are better behaved of course but just like the younger students tardies, cell phone use and talking during work time are all common issues with both groups. One question I have do the younger students behave better with adults sitting in class with them? I am basically using the rules and consequences I have used the last three years mainly because the other A@P teachers use them as well. With the exception of the phone call to parents of course.

I know this is scattered and you may not understand what I am looking for but any advice or anyone that has taught both at the same time I would like to talk with. Thanks for any response.

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 29, 2020

Hi Jessica,
    I'm not clear of your specific classes, so if this isn't relevant, sorry - I'm understanding that you teach college? The high school students in your class might be from an "early college" program, or a "duel enrollment" program, or something else (from a high school perspective this matters, but not for college teacher) When you say you teach juniors, do you mean college juniors, or hs juniors? Do you know yet what percentage of your students are hs? (sorry, just re-read - I see you teach mostly hs) Here are the challenges from a hs teacher perspective - Keep in mind, each program is unique and so none of this might be relevant for your classes. Often early college programs have strict rules about students fraternizing with older non hs students. This means there might be an issue if you assign study partners or groupwork outside of class (In class they can work together)
    Does the highschool (or the college) have a person who acts as a liaison between the two schools? If so this person can be a guide or your assistant. For example: sometimes right before the drop no credit, you might want to drop this liaison a list of names of hs studnets in danger of failing. Speaking of grades - in HS students often have 4 report cards per semester. In college the advisers (and parents) don't have access to their on-line progress unless you tell them they have to share it with their parents and proof might be parents emailing you. (extra work - just throwing the idea out there, no must-dos!) Please, make sure you keep their on-line grading platform updated and remind them to look - Hs sts are sometimes amazingly unsure of how to do these seemingly simple tasks.
    What else? If the HS sts are cohorted, they probably know each other well and know how to help each other. But if they are just dually enrolled, they might not even be from the same schools. Be warned - HS students are often encouraged to work in groups and many might not know how to sit through a lecture and how to take notes. Maybe assign a couple of youtube videos to help them and maybe encourage them to compare their class notes. ANd yes, absolutely remind them that they are college students when in your class and they will be held to a higher standard. And then take nothing personally. They are younger than they appear and their brains just aren't there yet. (As for phones, I would say tell all students not allowed - but that's me)
    Hmmm, sorry long! I could go on and on. Good luck - Hopefully you will love these mixed age classes - It's such a treat! (I'm on the HS end of it, but love love love it!)

4. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 29, 2020

And welcome to the forum!