Teaching attire?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cby1224, Oct 22, 2012.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Oct 22, 2012

I am trying to pick up a few pieces every month so "when" I start teaching I won't have such an added cost of trying to come up with a wardrobe. I will be in a h.s. science class (Chemistry, maybe biology). Are dresses realistic? Should I focus more on buying slacks and a few versatile tops? What about shoes? I would imagine stilettos are out, but then again, what do I know. :blush: Also, where is your favorite place to shop?

3. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Oct 22, 2012

Ugghh, and I posted this in the wrong place. I would still love to hear your ideas and thougths but I appologize for posting this in the Job Seekers thread. I would move it to the correct place if I could figure out how to do that :sorry: !

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 22, 2012

My wardrobe consists of:

slacks in basic colors: black, brown, grey, khaki
    cardigans in basic colors (black, brown, grey) and some fun colors
    blouses in solid and pattern colors
    skirts in basic colors and a few patterns
    a few dresses for special occasions
    shoes in black, brown, grey, and school colors

All of these things can pretty much be mixed and matched. It makes it really easy to get dressed in the morning.

My favorite stores are LOFT, the GAP, White House Black Market (when I'm thinner and have some money,) and JC Penney. I also buy some of the fun things at Ross and Marshall's.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2012

I have 3 or 4 pairs of various colored neutral colored pants (browns, blacks, greys). All are fairly loose fit.

I have a few button down shirts, but mostly I just wear normal cotton shirts with maybe a sweater over them.

Shoes- black sneakers.

I never wear dresses or skirts to work. I stopped doing that after a kid told me I looked sexy.

I don't own a suit. I would never wear one to work. I dress fairly causally, but I think it's professional enough. People I know wear high heels, but I never would. People also wore fancy little outfits. I don't spend that much money on clothes so I'm much more laid back.

6. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Oct 22, 2012

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I was correct in my thinking. The school I hope to be hired is has a very casual dress code and so I really think a few dresses and mostly dress pants/tops and cardigans will be great staples. Now I really need to start the hunt for some shoes that are comfy and appropriate.

7. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 22, 2012

I live in the Yukon, so the rules are a bit different here. We have a few male teachers who wear ties and jackets. We also have a few in ratty sweats all day! I personally wear nice jeans most days, with dress pants or a skirt once in awhile. In the winter I wear layers...an older school combined with -40C means the temperature is all over the place.

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2012

I usually wear dresses or skirts with sandals in the summer. In the winter, I still wear dresses but add tights and wear flats instead of sandals. I usually wear cardigans with the dresses as well. I also have a few pair of dress pants that I wear with cardigans. On Fridays, I wear jeans.

I'm standing most of the day, so heels do not work, but I find that flat shoes are reasonably comfortable and look nice as well.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2012

My school is a bit more formal.

I wear a suit a couple of times a week. The rest of the time I normally wear a skirt and top.

As to where I shop: Kohls, JCPenney, Sears mostly.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2012

Basic pants: black, gray, tan.

Tops: Mostly basic colors; some shells, some button downs, a few dressy-er T-shirts.

Sweaters - Cardigans in fun colors.

Shoes: Black and brown Danskos.

Shopping: J. Crew Outlet, Banana Republic Outlet, Express (cannot beat those Editor pants), Target, TJ Maxx, Ross.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2012

I work in a casual environment. I wear khakis and polos or a school shirt.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 22, 2012

I wear mostly slacks and a nice top. I never wear a t-shirt. Heels, only on certain days when I know that I'll have the opportunity to sit a lot, i.e. meeting days. Otherwise, I wear flats or a shoe with a slight heel.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2012

I wear mostly slacks with cardigans or blazers. I wear skirts too. I shop at Land's End and Talbots. I get some great bargains at Talbots when things go on sale.

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 22, 2012

I wear a dress maybe once a week. I got some nice ones last year at Bass, they have an empire waist and are dressy-casual. I wear them with a cardigan and tights in the winter.

Most of my wardrobe consists of dress pants in neutral colors, printed tops (polka dots, animal print, stripes) and solid cardigans in coordinating colors. Sometimes, I throw in a necklace or textured top (like lace). I wear the same shoes almost everyday lol. They're so comfy, and they go with pretty much everything!

15. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Oct 23, 2012

Thanks so much for the help. I do have another question, that might seem crazy, but what about sweater dresses and leggings? I know I am probably over thinking all of this, but I work in a profession with uniforms so it has been a while since I have needed to think about work appropriate attire.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 23, 2012

Our dress code specifically says no, but that will be different in different places. Several faculty members do wear them, but they are cut like a tailored, A-line dress, rather than like a shift. Those tend to be longer and look less like you're not wearing any bottoms. I love this one!

http://www.zappos.com/max-and-cleo-a-line-sweater-dress-black

17. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Oct 23, 2012

I really like that dress. I have a few sweater dresses, that I wear with leggings. I mostly wear them to church. They are longer but are the shift style dress. I think I really need to stick to purchasing a few different pairs of slacks, tops and cardigans. I can always add dresses as needed.

18. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

Nov 2, 2012

My wardrobe consists of cardigans (seriously, I have like 35), sleeveless shirts (to go under said cardigans), slacks (black, khaki, and gray) and skirts (Pencil, black and khaki and then a few fun printed A-lines). I do have a few dresses -- mostly spaghetti strap ones that I throw a cardigan over to make school-appropriate. I also have a black wrap-dress that I got from old navy a few years back that is SO COMFY. I personally like to wear dresses and skirts because I think theyre more comfortable and flattering -- plus, I live in Texas, so pants and sweaters every day? No way. thing with dresses (besides just the basic ones) is that once you wear it, you can't wear it again for a while. With other separate pieces you can kind of mix them up and make them different, so you can get away with wearing the same stuff over and over again (guilty!) I also have 2-3 neutral (black, white) colored camis, also to make things school appropriate. My shoes are always clad in comfy flats. I hardly ever wear heels -- my poor feet wouldn't be able to handle that, although the teacher down the hall from me doesnt wear any thing BUT heels (oh and PS she's 5 months pregnant!) Anyway, I would say my strategy is to have a few good basic pieces from nicer places (I have just a few basic colored slacks and pencil or a-line skirts from Banana Republic, J Crew and Ann Taylor LOFT) and mix them up with cute blouses, cardigans and sleeveless shirts from cheaper places, like Old Navy and Target. I love cute clothes, my biggest thing is finding cute pieces that are Comfortable and Versatile (On Sale is good too :)

19. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

Nov 2, 2012

Also--if you're looking for cute but comfy shoes, invest in TOMS (if you don't already have some). I wear mine all the time and my feet love me for it. They're so cute too-I get compliments every time I wear them. And they've started making ballet flats too that are adorable.

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 2, 2012

summer or otherwise very warm weather (such even right now sometimes)
    - skirts, all kinds of prints, lots of colors
    - solid color tops to match the skirt, a lot of times tank tops, because it's often 90 F +
    - and ALWAYS a cardigan over it, so no one knows I'm wearing a tank top
    - sandals, wedges (especially wedges are comfy)
    - sometimes pants, but skirt are so much more comfortable.

spring / fall:
    - pants, full length or capris
    - sometimes skirts
    - blouses, button down shirts
    - vests, and often cardigans

winter:
    - dress pants, sometimes long skirts
    - lots of sweaters
    - sweater cardigans with a blouse
    - boots, oxfords

On Fridays I usually wear jeans, but usually I still dress it up with sandals, today I wore a white button down shirt with a black vest + jeans + sandals, it looked cute and professional. Sometimes, very seldom I wear jeans + T shirt, but that happens maybe once / 2 months. Most teachers wear jeans every day and most of them almost never dress 'up'.

I would never wear leggings to school, not even with a sweater dress. I wear sweater dresses, but with knee length or ankle length skirts or pants. Or at least jeans.

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 2, 2012

I wear Target and Marshall's dresses almost exclusively because I have a personal hatred for pants. :lol: They make me feel really fat and the only ones I can find that fit nice are Gap's "Perfect Trouser" pants. Aside from those, it's mostly dresses and tights/leggings. Sweater dresses included! I NEVER wear jeans. I just think it's terrible and unprofessional to me. (Only to me! I know "dressy" jeans exist and they look great on everyone else....I just can't do it. I save jeans for the bar.)

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 3, 2012

Four, I don't wear dresses because I have fat calves!

There are days that pants make me look fat. Those are days that I am bloated, which happens on a regular basis. Some days I am so bloated I look pregnant! Other days, my stomache is flatter.

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 3, 2012

I wear everything from jeans to dresses. I work in a fairly casual environment, but I also enjoy dressing up. It just depends on what I am doing that day - messy art, meeting with a parent, recess duty, etc.

24. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Nov 3, 2012

My style tends to be more girly/feminine.I personally like wearing dresses and skirts when I can. Leggings are acceptable at my school as long as your rear is covered by a dress or shirt.
    I also have the basic black, gray, and khaki pants. I rarely wear khakis though since I think they can be too casual for school. When I shop I look for tops I can wear to school and going out. If a top doesn't fit the criteria more than likely I don't buy it.
    I can count the number of times I wear heels to school in a year on one finger. A previous poster mentioned Tom's which I think are great! With the weather getting cooler I will wear boots. Flat are great too, but sometimes you have to break them in before wearing them all day at school. I love shopping at Macy's, Ross, Old Navy, and New York and Company.

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 3, 2012

I mean....why does this need to be specified?! Seriously! PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS, PEOPLE.

:haha:

26. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Nov 3, 2012

:haha: I agree with you they are not. Obviously this had to be specified for someone though. As the saying goes sometimes common sense isn't so common...

27. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Nov 6, 2012

First of all: how close are you to graduating? Fashions change and your body changes. I wouldn't invest too much in a wardrobe unless you are ST soon. You can also observe in your ST and see what others are wearing.

What age level are you looking at?

In Elementary you can go more casual, but also have to be aware that you may be sitting on the floor, or bending a lot, or getting messy. In Secondary there is less movement and sticky hands.

If you are young and right out of college, you need to look much more professional than you might think. I've had P tell me they thought I was a new student. Eek! Most of the time I wear black slacks and a shirt. Once, I was wearing what I thought was very professional: black slacks and a pink button down- covered up, but not stuffy like a dark color would have been. And I definitely got sexually harrassed by at 9th grader. So you just never know. Make sure any dress you wear is fingertip length or longer. Also, be aware of the cut of your top. Bend over and see if you can see down it.

It also depends on your school. In Hawaii I wore flip flops to work, that would NEVER happen on the mainland.

My current wardrobe is evolving. I like the layered fall look. I've definitely been buying dresses that can be layered and wore with tights and boots. As long as you keep it on the professional side and not the "I'm wandering a field in a fashion ad" look. (But I'm wearing a summery dress and cowboy boots today- heatwave in November!)

28. Studenteacher12

Studenteacher12 New Member

Nov 6, 2012

LOFT, Banana Republic, and several other stores give discounts with a teacher ID. I tend to go to an outlet mall near where I live. I can usually catch an ongoing sale which helps out a lot!

29. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Nov 8, 2012

Thanks everyone. I will (hopefully) be teaching high school chemistry or biology, but probably chemistry. I don't think I need to be concerned about students thinking I am a new student. I graduated back in 2003 and will be 32 next month.

The Toms are a great idea. I talked with my mom and sister who are both in education and both recommended sticking with for typical pieces (slacks, cardigans, blouses, etc..) until I knew for sure how casual the teachers at the school actually dressed. I can always add non essential pieces as needed.