Teaching at the same school your own kids to go?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DallasLady, Jul 18, 2010.

1. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

What are you opinions on this? Is this something that you would like to do (or perhaps you have actually done) or is it something you'd prefer not to do. I am going to be teaching at the high school on the other side of town from where we live (same school district) and I'm wondering if I want to perhaps transfer to our high school when my kids get to that age.

3. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

I haven't ever done it...but know lots of people who have and its never been a problem.

This will be my first year being at the same school as my kids. (3 out of 4 of them will be there!) I'm very excited and so are they.

I've set ground rules where they don't come to my class "whenever", etc. I really can't wait!

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

Hmmmm... for the first 4 years of my son's education (preschool included here) he went to the same school as I taught at. It was a small pre-k to 12 school and I taught in the highschool end while he attended the other end. We did some cross over stuff but very little so it was mostly a non-factor. It did, however, become a huge issue in the last year we were there because he had an IEP that was not being followed through on and it was incredibly tough interacting with my principal as a parent.

The next 4 years my son went to a different school then where I'm teaching and it was great to be able to just be a parent. But... I missed being able to see all the things that he was involved in at school the way I had been able to do at the previous school. All in all though it worked better than the previous school.

Now... he is moving not only to the school that I'm teaching at but also in to the classroom that I teach in. Jury is still out ;).

It is a bit of a unique situation in that my son has special needs so there is probably more need for me to be involved on the planning end of things.

I have taught with many people who have had their children at the same school and even in their classes. What they have found is that boundaries must be set down and the other big thing they have talked about is not being harder on your kids than you are on others. Also to let things that would never make it home to you stay at school as you will know things you wouldn't otherwise know and you have to be fair to your kids.

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

I liked having my children in the school that I taught at.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 18, 2010

I teach at a small school district, and the majority of our teachers live in our district. We have two elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. So, it's hard not to be at the same school. We have even had instances where children have to have a parent as a teacher. It's really so normal here that nobody thinks anything about it. Many of our out-of-district teachers bring their children to our district on hardship permission.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2010

My daughter will eventually go to the school I teach at. I don't see it as being a problem. I went to HS with a girl whose mom was our English teacher. It never bothered her or her mom to have each other in the same room.

8. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 18, 2010

I teach at the high school from where my son graduated. I startede subbing there when he was a senior, then worked there full-time after he graduated. I purposely asked not to sub in his classes because I felt he would be more comfortable if his mom wasn't in his classroom.

I have a lot of colleagues who have their kids at our school (free private school tuition is a great perk!). Most of them have done a good job of keeping their teacher and parent roles separate. However, one teacher struggled with this (catching teachers in the hall for "teacher conferences," calling her son out of class and lunch, yelling at him if he got in trouble). I had him in class and could tell this made him very uncomfortable.

I think it depends on the age of your own kids, and if they want you in the school with them.

9. Susan82397

Susan82397 Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

Love it most of the time

I had all 3 of my kids at school with me this year and I do love it most of the time (it was a PreK-7th school). They will all be with me this year too. They did come to my class for things once in a while, but it was no big deal. Usually it was if something really good happened and they were so excited to tell me right then and the teacher let them. They were there for just a minute and then gone again. But my oldest's teacher came one day with my son about a failed test and wanted to conference in the hall, and I didn't care for that. My principal is great about letting us go to programs and getting someone to cover our classes for 30 minutes or so while we go, and I wouldn't be able to do that if they weren't there with me. They go where I am because I work there, but live 30 miles away in another county, and I don't want them in that county's schools and it makes my life much easier.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 18, 2010

I also work with many who have their kids at school (I had 4 staff kids in my class last year!). It's definitely great how the kids can show you what they did in class-when kids ride the bus, etc. sometimes parents don't come see the walls/journals. They are so excited to share with them what they've learned.

The only bad part I've seen is what to do with the kids when they have a meeting, training, tutorials-the staff kids seem to get "stuck" after school a lot and it makes for a really long day for them-harder on the younger kids I'm sure.

11. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jul 18, 2010

Last year, I requested a transfer for my kindergartner to attend my school. I absolutely LOVED it. It was awesome to be a part of the same school community together. Also, it was really handy to have him there w/ me after school.

12. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 18, 2010

Positives: I get to spend more time with my daughter and know what's going on with her most of the time. I don't need a sitter. I don't forget things like a class party or the bookfair since I'm directly involved with my own class.

Negatives: I didn't feel comfortable questioning her grades because I work closely with her teacher. I didn't get much free time before/after school to work in my room alone because she was always there.

Overall, I like it, though, and she will be at my school (hopefully!) for the next 3 years!

13. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

My son goes to my same school. I like it enough. Makes attending school functions so much easier. I can't imagine going to all of my school's functions, then going to his school's functions. Eek.

14. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

I teach at the school where my son goes, and he was in my classroom from ages 3-6. He's now going into the 5th grade and it's never been a problem. I love that we're on the same schedule, and that I know he's getting a magnificent education. Plus, I know all of his teachers. :)

15. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jul 18, 2010

My son is starting kindergarten at my school this year and I can't wait! Lots of staff kids go to my school and I think there's at least 6 starting K this year. I even had my principal's two boys during my first two years of teaching. I don't think it's an issue at all as long as you tell them they can't come visit whenever they want. Their teacher needs to know that as well. Some staff kids think they own the place, but you can see that is reflected from their parents.

I live in my school neighborhood so all my students see me around too. I love the community and wouldn't change a thing.

16. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

I loved having my child in the same school - we got to touch bases quickly in the hall. I especially miss the hugs between classes - they got me through some rough spots my first year. There were ground rules - and it worked just fine.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 19, 2010

My children go to my school. We only have one school, so there isn't much choice! I like it, I'm not sure how I will like having to teach my children, but I guess I'll get over it quickly! I did find that while it is nice to be in touch with my daughter during the day, sometimes she gets a little too clingy. If I am gone for something, she gets emotional about it sometimes.