Teaching at Charter Schools?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TexFW1, Aug 7, 2007.

1. TexFW1

TexFW1 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I am a 1st year teaching and have applied at every school district close to me within an hour's drive. 2 interviews no luck so far. I may have a chance at a position with a charter school. My problen is the pay is much less than public school, and a longer drive. I know nothing about charter schools. Is it worth it to get the experience and a year of teaching under my belt or would it be better to teach as a sub in my area and hopefully get a job from that? Thoughts, anyone?

teacher-2-be

3. Texas_06

Texas_06 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

This is my first year looking for a job. I turned down a job at a charter school because of the pay. I wish I would have taken it. I think when schools are looking for a teacher they prefer a teacher with experience over a sub. I'm not sure. I would like to see what others have to say about it. I'm in Texas too. What part of Texas are you currently looking for a job in? Good luck to you.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2007

School will be starting soon and honestly, almost any job is better than no job at all. I took a job at a private school last year where I was only making $10.70 an hour as a licensed elementary teacher teaching 3rd grade. I could hardly live on such little money, but I needed the experience. I had done two long-term sub positions the previous school year and that subbing experience didn't help me get a job, not even in that district, so I knew I needed experience in my own classroom.

This year I'm working in a charter school that pays roughly the same (a little more) as the regular public schools in the area. I love the school and I'm finally getting paid what I'm worth. Without my experience last year, though, I would probably still be looking for a job.

5. TexFW1

TexFW1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I live in Haltom City. I have tried Birdville, HEB, Keller, Everman, Grand Prairie, Castleberry and Arlington. I just don't know what else to do. I heard so much about teacher shortages while I was in school but now that I am looking all I hear is we have no openings. It is very frustrating.

6. Texas_06

Texas_06 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I know there are teacher shortages in Houston and Dallas. You might have to start thinking about relocating if you can. I live in El Paso and I was told the same things about teacher shortages. There are too many teachers here especially bilingual. I'm going to take the 4-8 exam so that I can have better chances of finding a job.