Teaching at a vocational school?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chasingcomets, Aug 3, 2010.

1. chasingcomets

chasingcomets Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

I've just applied for an English position at a vocational/technical school. I don't have an interview yet, but just in case, what do you think a vo-tech school is going to be looking for in an English candidate?

I have five years work experience in an English/writing focused field (newspaper) and I'm hoping that this will be a plus, especially for a vo-tech school. Any thoughts on what else they might want to hear?

3. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I worked at a Vo-tech school 3 years ago. Students were required to take "regular" high school classes (english, math, science, history) in addition to their vocational classes. It was a great experience but realize that as with most vo-tech schools the students are not great academically. That's why they go to school to learn all of these work skills. Good luck though!

4. teachnew

teachnew Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

I just got a job at a vo-tech teaching English! I think what sealed the deal for me was I made sure to talk about how with students who choose to go to a vo-tech, you have an automatic entry point. You know they are interested in auto mechanics, or culinary arts, or whatever their technical area of interest is. Your job as a teacher is to use that info to inform your teaching. Show the students how English class will help them in their chosen field.

Also, I talked about different learning styles and how many of the students may be hands-on learners and their projects in English class should reflect that.

Good luck!

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 3, 2010

Many years ago I did some subbing in a vo-tech school. I would definitely agree that for many of the students the "regular ed" classes were not a favorite, so be prepared to discuss how you will handle those feelings of dislike of your subject. Maybe think of some projects you could have the students do that relate to their vocational side. Like a writing assignment describing their first small business, or a persuasive essay on why someone should enter their field (you could have them research job opportunities, salaries, any kind of factual stuff to back up their position to add to their personal feelings), or create a brochure for their business. You get the idea - tie English into what they like to do.

Also, I'm assuming these students take the PSSAs, how would you prepare them for it?

Crossing fingers that you get the interview.

6. chasingcomets

chasingcomets Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

Thanks! I will definitely try to gear my answers in a hands-on, practical direction. I'm actually loving the idea of having their English projects based on their vocational areas. It opens up a lot of interesting ideas and opportunities.