Teaching at a breaking point

Discussion in 'General Education' started by substitute_stev, Feb 18, 2021.

1. substitute_stev

substitute_stev Rookie

Feb 18, 2021

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha Rookie

Feb 19, 2021

Hear you on missing the kids. Before switching careers I almost considered substituting at my old internship schools for old times' sake, but I hesitated, as I wasn't sure how long I'd be substituting for and how fast the nostalgia of my former students being my present students all over again would wear off, with the tedium of having to substitute-teach others' courses weighing on me. People who find it worth it in and of itself need to be appreciated to the fullest extent.

I kind of wish the education system did a better job matching substitutes to backgrounds and/or interests. I think it'd be an interesting twist, for instance, to teach geography for a change, if it were on a level more involved than "patrol the classroom while students do geography bookwork."

I've often wondered why the education system doesn't at least talk about the standards someone has to meet to be a teacher. Is it because they'd be perceived as tooting their own horns, even if they had the full-time teachers talk about what it takes to become a substitute, and the substitutes talk about what it takes to become a full-time teacher?

More to the point, whatever happened to "we salute the rank, not the man"? A sergeant might resent being outranked by a more-educated, less-experienced lieutenant. They're still expected to return a salute. (Hey, being a novice teacher is kind of like being a lieutenant*. You need a degree to get there, you have authority over people who've probably experienced things relevant to the topics you teach that you haven't, and even the sass-mouthing ends in "sir!")

I remember on another site using "my teachers say this" as cover for things I... probably would've otherwise believed anyway. (Long story, and I'm pushing it on the rambling as it is. But yeah, I regret it.) But the character I was portraying was retroactively validated when the people criticizing me said I should rely on experience, not teachers... as if my experience could be as easily verified by a stranger halfway around the world as a curriculum could be? I mean, I invoke it here, which is pushing it as it is, but that's partly because I'm not sure what else, if anything to invoke.

. . .

Last but not least, don't blame yourself if the students don't respect you. As a teaching intern and full-time teacher alike (with substituting duties anyway thanks to schools' short-staffed nature) I've had students who respected me and students who did not; sometimes at the same school. Hell, sometimes I've had whole classrooms full of people who respected me and whole classrooms full of people who did not. They can't all have been right to respect me, because they didn't all respect me, and they can't all have been right not to respect me, because they didn't all disrespect me. I was the one factor held constant in the room. The only thing that varied was them.

*Non-combat lieutenant, lest I be accused of "comparing school to war" all over again...

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2021

It takes a very special person to sub. I lasted about 4 days in a big city! :)
    It is way easier to be the regular teacher imo.