Teaching, "Asking Questions" to Kindergarten.

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mudpie1598, Apr 25, 2011.

1. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Apr 25, 2011

How do you get Kindergartner's to ask questions? Eventually, asking questions about the story you're reading.

This has been a difficult strategy for me to teach, but it's in one of the lessons.

3. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Apr 25, 2011

Model, model, model!

I find modeling is most important. I literally read a section of a great book and then tell the children what is going on in my head. I tell them this is what good readers do, and this is what they need to do. Then I have them try it by turning to their partner and sharing and listening. I listen, and when I hear a fantastic example of what I am looking for I announce it to the whole class. Then I repeat the whole process over and over until they don't even want to hear what I am thinking because they have their own thoughts.

4. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

Play a game to give them some practice.
    Write the 5 W words on cards - who, what, where, when, why - the child picks one and uses it in a question.

A Mystery Box/Bag - they have to guess the item by asking questions.

They can interview each other, "Do you have a pet?" "How many people in your family?", etc. Clipboards are fun with this.

We do the Question of the Day on a big chart every morning. I am so out of ideas by now that they come up with their own. "Is a worm a bug?" "Would you rather swim or ride a bike, or both?"

Just read the above post - great idea. :)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2011

Modeling is the best way to teach the comprehension strategies. The more you model, the more the students will start doing it.

We also play 20 questions.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 25, 2011

I call them "I wonders." They start questioning by saying, "I wonder...if the little boy will find his dog." It's pretty much the same as saying, "Will the little boy find his dog?" but they seem to understand it a little better. Does that make any sense?