Teaching and Writing Letters

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MuckeyBusiness, Sep 6, 2010.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I evaluated my kids the past couple weeks and I learned that none of them know how to write. Some of them know how to write a couple of letters and most of them know some letters but I feel very overwhelmed now. What would you guys do in my situation? What activities should I work on them with and what should i start with and focus on. I'm extremely stressed out and overwhelmed.

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

What age?

4. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Sep 6, 2010

four year olds

5. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Sep 6, 2010

young fours

6. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

Most of the teachers that I know do letter of the week, in whatever order is convenient for them. Some connect the letter to whatever unit they're working on outside of literacy, others go in alphabetical order. There is another thread going now about this, that goes into more detail.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 7, 2010

8. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 7, 2010

I am right there with you monkey business. I have some who can write their names and then can copy something I write perfectly while others have no idea or they say "I dont know how" and refuse to try. I am going to use sentance strips and have them copy their names everyday. I also think I am going to start using morning message.

9. Preschool_Rocks

Preschool_Rocks Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

I do exactly what vannapk does and last year I had twelve children going to kindergarten, all of them were writing before they left, some were writing and reading words, while some were reading books. For learning to write names we do a lot of sign-in sheets, graphs, we have them write their name on all art work and there are pens, and paper at every center. We also begin by writing their name in yellow marker and having them trace the letters.