Teaching and casual clothes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WaterfallLady, May 28, 2013.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 28, 2013

I'm in my 20s, and obviously a teacher. I've been having a really hard time finding clothes. I used to like JC Penny but now everything is neon and they don't have much of a petite section anymore. I have no sense of style at all. I really need a new wardrobe so I'm okay with spending a little more than I used to because my wardrobe is getting to be threadbare.

So, I'm wondering where everyone else shops? I live far enough away from the mall that I have to make a special trip of it.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2013

Loft
    Anthropologie
    Banana Republic

4. physteach

physteach Companion

May 28, 2013

Loft, Banana, Gap (for somethings), occasionally American Eagle, H&M, modcloth for dresses, J. Crew

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 28, 2013

I like Macy's.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 28, 2013

Loft, JC Penney, GAP.

I haven't found too much neon at Penney's. Bright colors were very stylish this spring, but I'm almost always able to find cute things there. I just bought three shirts the other day.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

May 28, 2013

I've been getting a lot at Banana Republic lately. Luckily, there are a few Banana Republic outlets near me.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2013

New York & Company - I think has about the best work-appropriate styles at the good prices that they have

Macy's - Lots of style variety & they have enough sales going on all the time...go when you have coupons for sure

SteinMart - Pretty good prices. I personally may find something I like once every few times I visit & I browse about once a month there

Francesca's Collections

If you want to spend a little more money, then shop at:

Zara
    Nordstrom - When there's a sale, the prices aren't too, too bad
    Bloomingdale's
    Banana Republic
    The Limited
    White House Black Market
    Talbots
    Anthropologie
    Lucky Brand - more on the casual side, but they have some nice blouses/collared shirts & great jewelry

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 28, 2013

Neon is everywhere!

I'll shop anywhere. I find nice pieces all sort of places, even at places where I don't normally like to shop.

• JC Penney
    • Kohls
    • Macy's
    • TJ Maxx
    • Marshall's
    • White House Black Market
    • Old Navy
    • Target
    • Walmart
    • New York & Comany
    • Christopher & Banks
    • Dillard's
    • Belk
    • Maurices
    • Talbots
    • Liz Claiborne
    • Lane Bryant
    • Gap
    • The Limited
    • Express

I will look anywhere. I never know what I'll find. I can't wear the sizes from Express anymore. They stop at size 14, but I still go in. I have some accessories I love.

Not sure how they are with petites. They fit me better, but I can make do with regular in some things. My mom has to have petites, and she's been disappointed with Penneys lately.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

May 28, 2013

Same here.

Add in Gap and random pieces I find on Hautelook/Ruelala

11. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 28, 2013

Definitely JCrew & NY & Co.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 28, 2013

I like Old Navy.

13. bison

bison Habitué

May 28, 2013

I mostly stick to sales or promotions at Banana Republic, J. Crew, and Anthropologie. Just a week or so ago they had 40% off cardigans and sleeveless tops at Banana Republic, and it stacked with the student/teacher 15% discount. I picked up a few great pieces. Occasionally Express and Gap. I just got a few items online from J. Crew Factory the other day. I'll browse the sales racks at many similar stores or designer outlets. Not sure if they have Loehmann's where you live, but they have excellent deals on designer clothing if you're willing to dig. I rarely have the energy but my mom finds really wonderful stuff for both of us now and then.

I need to check out Old Navy, but usually their stuff doesn't fit me very well and the quality is mixed. H&M tends to have quite a bit of work wear in a pinch, but it's not usually great quality either. Target is hit or miss as well, but I got some nice simple tank tops for wearing underneath cardigans recently.

I usually get shoes at DSW, J. Crew (incl. Factory), Banana Republic, and Nordstrom. I got some cute flats from Target recently but they were worn out in less than two months. Never again!

Make sure you always ask for a teacher discount! J. Crew and Banana Republic have 15% off full priced items, as do many other stores.

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 28, 2013

I need petites and they are hard to find in size 16P (hence, the current diet). Anyway, I shop exclusively at Talbot's and Land's End.

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 28, 2013

My current favorites are LOFT (they have a teacher discount) and Land's End.

You can use the teacher discount with other discounts at Banana Republic? They are SO expensive that I stay away, but that would help... ;) LOFT only allows the teacher discount on full price stuff.

16. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 29, 2013

Kohl's!!

17. bison

bison Habitué

May 29, 2013

I discovered a trick! You can't use the discount on sale items, but temporary promotions don't count as sales. So if there are signs up around the story saying, for example, 40% off all sleeveless tops, it's not a sale. Those items will go back up to full price after the promo. If it's an actual marked down item in the sale section, you can't use the discount. They do various promotions regularly, so it's worth stopping in if you're passing by. They also have GREAT sale items that can get really cheap, especially at bigger stores. I can find tops under $20 and once even got a floor length formal gown for $40. Wore it to a fancy wedding! :)

I'm going to try it out with J. Crew at some point too, because they tend to have the same rules for these kinds of things. I generally can't afford full price items at either store but I love what they have.

18. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

May 30, 2013

Express is a bit more pricey but you can find a lot of nice quality professional skirts and slacks there.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 30, 2013

I really like Kohl's! Most of the stores mentioned in this thread are not around here. And too fancy for me. ;) Kohl's is close by (about twenty-five miles), has ridiculous sales, and I can order easily online.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 30, 2013

I've worn quite a few khakis in my life...and none have come close to their Ultra Flare Perfects (which really aren't that flared...perfect balance for my wide hips). Love, love!

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 30, 2013

Interesting...I will have to try that! I think that might work at LOFT too, but it depends who is working that day. :rolleyes: There seem to be a lot of gray areas in their rules, lol.

22. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

I used to get it all from Lands" End but since Sears bought them they are not the same.

23. First School

First School Rookie

May 31, 2013

I believe that jeans and short sleeve shirts are appropriate for all teachers. Sandals are fine. I believe that skirts that don't ride too high are also fine. Windpants and t-shirts are also good to go. As other suggested here Loft, Anthropologie, Banana Republic is a good dressing too.

24. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 31, 2013

Thanks for your help, but jeans and sandals are against our dress code. We are required to dress professionally.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 31, 2013

Jeans, flip flop-type sandals, wind pants, and t-shirts are all against our policy.

26. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 31, 2013

I forgot to mention those. I have heard some states are more liberal in their policies, but my students aren't even allowed to wear windpants to school.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 31, 2013

Yep, we have to dress professionally at school.

I have the best luck at the outlet mall - I hit Banana Republic and J. Crew. I also love Express, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's. I also have a couple nice shirts from White House Black Market (or whatever it is), but I only go in there on big sale weekends :)

28. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 31, 2013

NY & Co has a really nice selection of professional clothes. Ann Taylor does too but it's more expensive. I used to be able to get a lot of things at Kohls, but I've had a harder time this year. It seems everything they put out as "professional" is too low-cut or too short. I find that layering with tank tops under lower cut shirts just doesn't work for me...the tank top ends up riding down and I'm pulling at it all day.

29. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 31, 2013

Banana Republic
    RW&Co
    Tommy Hilfiger

30. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jun 7, 2013

I get my entire professional wardrobe from the thrift store. It's not for everyone, but the price is right, and if you make a habit of stopping by when you see one and hitting the 1/2 off everything sales, you can build quite a wardrobe. I have tons of cute, knee length dresses and skirts, maxi dresses and skirts, blazers, dress pants and appropriate tops. The only thing I have to buy new is tights and intimates. If you were in the habit of wearing matching suit sets, you might have a harder time finding those in your size, but separates abound. It's quite common to find stuff with the store tags still on, and I very rarely see anything with damage or stains.

This does gross some people out, I know, but it works for me!

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 7, 2013

This wouldn't work for my dress code either.

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 7, 2013

I found some awesome stuff (pants, cardigans, shirts, shoes) from Talbots, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Liz Claiborne, Pendleton, and Christopher & Banks at Goodwill yesterday. Mom and I were wasting time until time for her doctor visit. Most still had the original tags. I got 2 huge bags of stuff for less than the original price of the shoes.

33. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 7, 2013

I'm in the middle of a wardrobe overhaul as well!! It's just time to get rid of stuff. Some of it I've had since I started teaching 7 years ago...I think it's time to move on! Lol!

Most of what I have is from Maurices, but I'm finding less and less stuff I like each time I go. I really just wander everywhere when I go shopping. You never know what you may find!

34. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 8, 2013

Lol, me too. I think it means I'm getting old. :p

35. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 8, 2013

I like Boston Proper and Venus--just google them! I love cute trendy things--even things that appear inappropriate (sleeveless/exposed back) can fly if you buy a cardigan or something to cover the shoulders/back.

36. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 9, 2013

TJ Maxx and Marshalls are two of my favorites. I also try to hit the clearance sales at Younkers and Von Maur. Kohls for jeans and some shirts. New York and Co goes in spurts. I used to keep JCP as my go to, but I haven't bought anything there in a few years.

37. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jun 10, 2013

New York and Co has been my staple for my wardrobe! Plus they have a teacher discount! :)