teaching-an emotional rollercoaster

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Budaka, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

Why is teaching so crazy? Yesterday, I actually quit. Well, I wrote "quit" in crayon on a napkin and handed it to the librarian who denied my request!
    But yesterday it started with a parent yelling and I meaning yelling (thinking raging bull) about why his child has an F. Apparently, I lost all six of her/his missing assignments, even though one of them was taped to the "no name" board. :mad:
    Then I got yelled at by the principal for letting my students have breakfast in the class. It is my fault, I know, but I have one student who is somewhat anti-social and I think she/he was trying to get on everyone's good side by bringing them a treat. Well, I got busted for it.
    Then later on I got yelled at by the principal because we were making pinatas in Spanish club and we got about ten drops of glue on the floor. The custodian (who rules the roost)complained about it.
    Then I had a student take a step backward and fall and crack their head on the floor very hard! I had to write an accident report.
    Somewhere during the day I got a note that my classroom stuffed animal had been kidnapped and I had clues on where to start looking for him. I was not amused and I did nothing for a while. Then another teacher came by and suggested I start looking for it because my students had put a lot of effort in making this surprise for me and they were upset that I didn't want to do it. My search took me all over the building, to the cafeteria, music room etc. I kept getting more clues and numbers. I also got chocolate at one of the stops (ya). Finally, I figured out that it was a locker number and combination. I found my animal and a bag of yummy chocolate chip cookies. :p It actually turned out to be a lot of fun and I appreciate my students doing it for me.
    I still want to quit though. Where is that crayon? :lol:

3. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

Of course, with the time coming up to make recomendations for hiring or firing, I should not be joking about quitting!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 15, 2008

The last part of your day though should remind you why the librarian denied your request. Your day sounds comical (but frustrating). I love what your students did. I think your P is a bit anal about some things though.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2008

Remember today is Friday...... :p:p:p

Major........:)

6. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

For me, it was one of few Fridays when I didn't want to yell with glee at 3:00, "Be gone, foul brood!!" :haha:

Care to share those cookies? :D

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 15, 2008

I have extra Valentine candy I'm willing to share. ;) We have those bad days when it seems several people are out to get us. What your kids did for you sounds like fun. I bet they had a blast planning it out.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2008

Budaka, I'm sorry about your day. The last half seemed like it made up for the rest of it though. You do have some great students that care about you! :wub:

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2008

Sounds like you could finally relax and enjoy the hunt! Why is it so hard? Kids, kids, kids, parents, parents, parents. Shouldn't also be admin, but in your case, it sounds like they aren't much help. My principal would think it was wonderful that a withdrawn child shared and she supports any and all messy projects!

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2008

Fridays mean going to workout at the gym about 9:30 a.m. , coming home and taking a nap, then going out for a nice long relaxing lunch.............:D:D:D:p

Enjoy
    Major........:):)

11. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

That was sweet of your kids! However, I would have been like you in the beginning and been mad about it. Probably would have thought they were being mean!

12. teachercat

teachercat Rookie

Feb 15, 2008

I usually say, "Have a nice weekend," but that sounds good too! :cool:

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 15, 2008

Snork!

Yup, yup.

By the way, what is it that your four-footed friend is reading?

14. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

I love "be gone foul brood". I think it just might be that the principal is having a bad week. I had some students leave ten minutes early today because they had to go to an activity. An announcement had been made for them to leave. The principal came storming in to ask me why all the students were in the hallway? I said there was an announcement. He said oh. Then he took himself out of the room. Yes, he did. Hmmmph.

Major,
    What are you doing relaxing on a Friday when there are seventh graders to be drilled, I mean inculcated?

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2008

Oh, but what a nice thing for your students to do. I think some people just have no idea what we go through. Honestly, is there any other job more demanding?? (maybe doctors have a more demanding job, but I honestly can't think of any other occupation).

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 15, 2008

What grade do you teach? I'm bowled over by the time and effort it took the kids to create your scavenger hunt! How creative! You must know you are doing a great job -- your kids wouldn't care about you if you weren't!

17. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 16, 2008

I teach high school. The sad part about it is that there was one student who was the master mind. I confiscated his cell phone from his yesterday! He was very angry with me and told me that "I was slipping". I think he means out of his favorite teacher spot :p
    Oh well, I think that goes back to what we have talked about on some of these threads. I have to be fair.

18. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 16, 2008

Budaka, the reason it's so emotional is that you CARE. That's a good thing. Not an easy or painless thing, though.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

If you didn't care you wouldn't feel this way. That's what makes a good teacher. I think what the kids did was sweet, but their timing could have been better considering the day, but how could they have known that? I think it shows what kind of teacher you are that a bunch of adolescents would do something like that. Keep that thought in mind next time you have a bad day (as the next bad day will come, probably sooner than later, at least at my school).

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 16, 2008

When you're having another bad day, you can always remember that your students care.

Oh, and I still have some left over VDay candy. If no one takes it, I'm going to be forced to eat it myself.

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 16, 2008

And thank goodness for the other teacher who clued you in!

Your p sounds like a big tooter!

22. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 16, 2008

Actually, he is a pretty good guy. I think it was just a bad week for everyone. It just makes me nervous when next week is when the board meets on rehires for next year. Yikes.
    I did not get enough V-day candy though.

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 16, 2008

Well I'll send it to you.

Hmm.... Can't... figure.... out... how .... to .... get ....it....in.... the...USB....port.....................

24. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 16, 2008

Just scan the conversation hearts.

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 16, 2008

[​IMG]

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 16, 2008

There's a handful for you.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

Can I have one please?

28. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 16, 2008

Too late!!!!!

29. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

30. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 17, 2008

There's more!!!

31. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 17, 2008

The scavenger hunt sounds like fun at least. Hopefully next week will be one of those good parts of the roller coaster (I suppose if I actually rode them I'd have a better description, for me the best part is standing on the ground watching the crazy people on the ride! :D)