Teaching an AP Class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Nov 3, 2014.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 3, 2014

There is a teacher retiring at a high school in my district, and I'm being considered to transfer into that spot. One of the classes she teaches is AP US Govt and Politics. I'm sure it's a sought after class, and I know it'll likely be eaten up by a more experienced, existing teacher. But in case it doesn't, I want to be as prepared to take on this challenge. I looked for a curriculum map/standards for this and it wasn't on the county page. I assume it's regulated by a college entity given it's AP. How does the AP system work? Anybody teach AP classes, I imagine because it's tested it has an entrenched curriculum (you teach A, B, C, D, E--in this order, these concepts, etc.). Just trying to wrap my head around it in case I'm presented this challenge. I know if given the resources, I would be able to teach it exceptionally---I just want to know what it is I would teach since I can't find any info on the district page and the existing teacher's page doesn't have any syllabus, calendar, etc.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2014

Do you think those in the position to hire the teacher who gets ths job will be concerned at all with how often you've changed jobs in a relatively short teaching career? You might want to prepare yourself for that question in case you are interviewed for the position.

As for the position's requirements, you might find some good info here:
    http://www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/courses/us_government.html

4. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 3, 2014

To answer your question: NO, it's in district, they asked me if I would be interested, not the other way around. I didn't even know it was available, and I wasn't planning on transferring because my principal is doing everything in her power to ensure I get a social studies position at our school next year.

I didn't even say I was going to do anything, I'm considering interviewing for it because I was asked by someone at central office. And I was only asking the question because I want to be in the know about AP requirements and the course itself before I contemplate interviewing, and obviously before I do interview, should I do so.
    Geez louise.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 3, 2014

It is my understanding that the College Board requires those teaching AP courses to have taken an AP training session (usually lasts a week and requires travel). Many AP courses, if not all, have training sessions at NC State.

6. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 3, 2014

That's interesting, thanks for the info!

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 3, 2014

I only had to take a one day workshop and could do it during the year (the only one coming up was in October when I was hired).

I do think the week-long workshops would be very beneficial though!

With English, I get to decide the books. I look at the test and what skills they need and go from there. There are three essays that I base my course around.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2014

There are released AP exams available that would give you a feeling of the depth and rigor. I would recommend getting your hands on one or more, to help you decide. Very experienced teachers I have known that took on AP classes were overwhelmed the first couple of years, even with the guidance of an experienced AP instructor who was phasing out. With your young children, I would give it very careful consideration.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 4, 2014

I'm not asking this to be mean, but are things going better for you now? Last I remember you were wanting to quit. I hope things have turned around for you. I have no advice about the AP, just wanted you to know I cared. :hugs:

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 4, 2014

Yes, what I was going through was not school related, I saw my doctor and he has given me a stronger anti-depressant.

11. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 4, 2014

Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure what grade level these kids would be (it is a high school position). I'm thinking it's 10th grade, but not absolutely certain. I know the WH courses will be 9th graders, but those aren't AP.

12. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 4, 2014

You should think seriously about whether you are qualified to teach this course. Most social studies teachers have only take a single government course in college and don't have the education background in government and Constitutional law. This course needs to move quickly to cover the material that will be on the test, and to give students enough time to practice writing the type of essays they will see.

Keep in mind that this test is given around May 10-15, so you don't have the full year to cover the material.

13. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 4, 2014

The background is a non-issue (I was actually pre-law with a goal of becoming JAG in the Navy---then I got married and my husband opposed my career choice, so that went out the window). I majored in history, of course (36 credit hours), 2nd majored in Biology (odd, I know), and I had 18 or 21 hours in political science---I would have to double check. But I had a range of courses in politics, government, and law (included advanced coursework 4000-level)---and of course, all of my history theses (I graduated with disciplinary honors in the field) were politically oriented.

I was one of those extremely, extremely motivated college students.

But I agree, I have my reservations about teaching that particular course. But the wording by the principal was "currently, that position is..." The qualifier "currently" gives me the sense that someone wants that particular course and it may not even be an issue at the end of the day.

Regardless, I want to know what the expectations would be for instructing it, what the learning outcomes for my students would be, etc., in the event that a) the course comes with the position, b) I get selected for the position and c) I accept the selection. All of which is completely in the air at this point.

Of course, the position does not open up until February, so there is plenty of time to make and informed and educated decision for all parties.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 4, 2014

My mom teaches AP and went to several of these.

15. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 5, 2014

You appear to have the perfect background for teaching this course. For most school districts, the learning outcomes are that the students score as high as possible on the AP test. My local SD requires students to take the AP test if they take the class. A few SDs don't seem to care whether they take the test or not.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2014

More districts are putting pressure on the students to take the exam, with the expectation that this improves the districts status. At a local HS, if they take the AP exam, they are exempt from having to take the course final, but if they don't take the AP exam the final is mandatory. Many students felt they were pushed into a corner.