Teaching alternatives - Substitute vs. Para

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by EKTeach, Sep 5, 2012.

1. EKTeach

EKTeach Rookie

Sep 5, 2012

Like most people on this board, I have been looking for a teaching job for a long time…over 2 years in my case, with over 100 applications submitted this summer alone. I realize I’m limited by two factors: I am a career-changer with no teaching experience, and I’m unwilling to travel too far for work at this time (only because I have preschool-age children of my own, and I don’t want to be too far away in case of an emergency). I know that I’m unlikely to be hired without getting my foot in the door somehow, so I have decided to apply for a substitute or an aide position (both in-demand positions in nearby districts). This is a fairly big gamble for me - the salary will not cover the cost of childcare, so I will actually be losing money. If it will help me get a permanent job, though, it’s worth it. I’m hoping to get some opinions on which position would be more likely to lead to a full-time teaching job, and I really appreciate any advice I can get. One day, I hope I’ll be able to return the favor with some teacher-ly advice ;).

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

Do a little research into the school you want to work for. My old school loved to hire subs for jobs. My new school will first hire anyone who was an assistant with a teaching credential over subs.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

I think that being a para is usually more beneficial. They get to know you and your abilities much better than if you were subbing.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 8, 2012

Paras in my district wouldn't have a good chance...maybe because our paras are weak.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Sep 8, 2012

It really depends on the school. Some schools hire subs and some prefer paras. You have to do some sleuthing.

I hear you on the childcare dilemma...I turned down some short term subbing jobs when I was returning to the profession because I would have lost money on childcare.

7. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Sep 8, 2012

As a rule of thumb, I would go with para over sub.
    Better paycheck, perks and they get to know you.

8. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

A lot of our paras have become teachers, most of our paras have bachelors degrees and are highly respected (which isn't always the case.) However, in my experience the paras end up teaching in another district. But they have great references from the administrators and teachers, which I'm sure helps.

9. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Sep 12, 2012

Para for sure. I got hired this year because of the experience I got working as a para. Granted it was a long term sub job as a para, but I got some great references and consistent classroom experience because of it.