Teaching Aide/Assistant/Para OR District Wide Sub Position?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mbc, Jun 9, 2021 at 10:14 PM.

1. mbc

mbc New Member

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:14 PM

Hi!

I'm conflicted. I've been offered these two positions and I don't know which to choose. I enjoy working with kids, but I don't want to become a teacher. I'm a writer and am working on a novel right now, but of course that isn't going to be paying the bills just yet. Surprisingly, the sub position pays way more than the aide position. I would work every day for both positions and I would receive benefits.

My friends and family, of course are interested in the pay.

Obviously, the aide would be a consistent routine while the sub would be last minute and what not. The subbing would either be for maternity leave or for absent teachers.

Listen, I want something good. I want something that won't give me work to take home because that would be my writing time.

Please help!

3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:14 PM

I would imagine the sub position would be more a part-time schedule based on days you want to work vs. the para position which is full-time? I don't understand the statement "I want something good."

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:47 PM

If you are covering maternity leave positions, you will be working pretty hard. Day-to-day subbing is much less likely to require working beyond contract hours. The paras I work with are generally done for the day when they clock out.

otterpop likes this.
  5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:12 PM

To be very blunt and honest, if you don't want to become a teacher, don't become a teacher,

miss-m likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:02 PM

The aide position would be my choice.

Benefits, same job every day, and not technically the one in charge.

With subbing there is an element of unknown every day, and if you did long-term jobs you would have all the teacher’s responsibilities, which would be more than you likely want to deal with if you don’t have any plans to become a teacher.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:52 PM

That's what I did and while I was an aide I was able to make myself known to other teachers and principals and got some good letters of recommendations for future jobs.