Teaching adverbs

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by scooter503, Mar 13, 2014.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

My middle schoolers are really struggling with adverbs. Does anyone have any suggestions for that "light bulb" moment?

Another, sort of unrelated question...when given a district-wide directive (for every teacher, every subject) to have your students write a 5 paragraph essay in a grammar based language class, what kind of topic would you give students? We have done at least 4 essays this year already and have a research based writing assignment coming up, so I want to avoid doing more research.

3. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 13, 2014

I would have them research a current events topic and write a research paper on that topic. I would ask that they include two articles on the topic and one book, correctly referencing the materials.

Since I'm a science teacher I would have them make a connection with what we are learning in class.

If you want ideas I would ask the other teachers in your team what they are teaching at the moment and see if you can have your students write about each topic for one of the four papers.

For example, Science paper could be about weather (7th grade) or pollution.

Math could be: "How do you use math in every day life?" They could research jobs and how math is used. Or write about their favorite meal and how much it would cost to make it. Including factors like gas money to go to the store, food, electric bill for the stove, etc.

World events would be a great topic as well.

There are so many options.

4. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 13, 2014