teaching addition

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by txmomteacher2, May 9, 2007.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 9, 2007

Ok I know somewhere there is a more experienced teacher who can help me. I am first year teacher. Funny thing is I am the behavior teacher who has been forced (not the best of words but it will work) to also teach the kinder resource kids. I wont go into detail about why they are resource so soon but they are mainly behavior issue kids as well. All year they have been learning their numbers. I feel fairly competent in saying they can count 1-20. Their on to on correspondence still needs a little work but I need to get these boys started adding single digits. I have tried the manipulatives, I tried making it a game still they just dont get adding. I will ask what is 1+1 and they give me 5 different answers none of which are correct.
    These boys are very concrete so I am guessing that I just havent found that right technique. HELP!!!!

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 9, 2007

When I introduce addition we spend a few days doing addition stories. We use the plastic counting bears and I will give a story like this:
    One day 3 bears went to the park (the kids each take 3 bears) While at the park they saw one more bear (they take another bear) how many bears are at the park now.

I also have a large number line that we use to solve addition problems. I make mini number lines and give the kids a plastic bear so they can do it along with us too.

I break the kids up in pairs and give them a pair of dice. They roll the dice and write an addition sentence with it and they write the answer.

Right now we are creating addition sentences in the pocket chart. I have paper frogs and I put up 2 frogs and then add the + and then add 1 more frog and then the = and they come up and put up the answer.

Hope this all makes sense.

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 3, 2007

I do dice math with the kids-- I TOOK TWO SQUARE TISSUE BOXES AND COVERED THEM WITH WHITE PAPER then I colored dots on each of the sides to replicate dice. they roll the dice and then count the dots on both dice to add and if they are subtracting they count the smallest number of dots then cover up that amount on the larger amount and what's left is the answer. I have also made a number chart and give them a counter . the cover the first number with the counter and either count forward or backward depending on whether it's add or subtract to get the correct answer.

5. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Jun 3, 2007

We make a ladybug craft. Roll the die 2 times to see how many black dots should go on each side. Then they write the addition sentence on a sentence strip. Attach it to the ladybug... and you have something to hang in the hallway as well!

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2007

For the one to one correspondence (which would be helpful to understand before the addition) -- you can try listening to a numbers song (on lots of children's CDs... and school CDs). We have a caterpillar that we lay out on the floor. There is a head shaped card and then each number as a "body" piece, and then a "end/tail" piece. I let the kids lay them out in order and we take turns listening to the song. You jump to the 1 when the song says 1, 2 when it says 2, etc. Our song goes "1-2-3-4-5-6-7... 8... 9... 10 and 11...." (I'm singing it in my head but I'm sure it's not coming out as well on the computer...) --- but anyways, they have mastered the one to one because they jump from number to number as we count. This transferred to the song using manipulatives because they remember the jumping and will do the same with bears, etc.

As for the addition, the "Counting up" method has been very successful with my special needs kids. It is sometimes hard to get them to understand to pick the bigger number to count up from (8+2 ... dont' choose 2...) but - as long as they understand the counting up concept, you're good to go. There are many songs at songsforteaching dot com (I can't post websites). There are CDs you can get that have really catchy tunes about addition, counting up, etc. I have found a LOT of success using music / movement type concepts with my kiddos (active!).

7. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

I use dominoes a lot when teaching addition and subtraction. You can make a sheet with domino patterns and have them draw the dots on the domino and then write the corresponding number sentence. My Kinders did very well with this!

8. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

I am sorry I can't post my Domino addition sheet...my files are still at school! :(