Teaching abroad?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rebecca1122, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Dec 13, 2008

Hi everyone-
    I am a junior in college pursuing my elementary education degree. As I get closer to graduation, I'm thinking more about all the possibilities of where I would like to teach. Teaching abroad, especially in Europe, is something I have been thinking about recently. Probably not for an extended time but for couple of years before I have a family or other responsibilities. Does anyone have experience in this? How do you go about finding a job and/or getting certified to teach in a foreign country? Any advice or experiences you would like to share would be wonderful! Thanks! :)

3. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Dec 13, 2008

Every country is different. Most such jobs are in EFL, as one might expect, but there are lots of jobs available teaching other subjects in immersion or international programmes. Do you want a job teaching adults or kids, and do you want a job teaching at a public school, international school, or private academy/

4. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Dec 13, 2008

I would like a job teaching children...elementary age. Any kind of school really, as long as I feel it would be a good fit for me. I think schools in all three categories could potentially be a good fit. What I imagine is doing roughly the same job I would be doing here, i.e. being a classroom teacher for any grade k-5 teaching all/most subjects the way teachers do here, only in a different country. I don't know if this is a probable situation or not, which is what I came to find out!

5. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Dec 15, 2008

I have no idea, but aren't there English speaking schools in other countries? If nothing else, for military families?

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 15, 2008

It's super easy to get a job teaching English in Asia, all you need is a BA in anything, no teaching certification necessary, just a mastery of the English language without an accent. I did that after I graduated for a year and loved it. I was in a major city and had all the modern conveniences I am accustomed to.

Getting a job in a DOD (Department of Defense) school on a military base is very competitive, especially in elementary, I tried that and gave up after awhile.

Getting a visa to teach in another country can be difficult, just as it is to get a visa to teach in the US, lots of headaches involved unless you do an exchange program.

If you want the feel of teaching abroad without leaving the safety and convenience of the US try the southwest, 90% of my students and their families don't speak english ;) One year I had 42 students and 22 different languages spoken in my classroom.

7. luteran

luteran New Member

Dec 17, 2008

teaching abroad

I taught in Mexico for 2 years and I have friends who are teaching in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
    I went through UNI (Google UNI Overseas Recruiting Fair)
    They host a job fair every year in which schools from overseas interview and hire.
    ISS is another association that holds job fairs for international schools.
    Basically you sign up with a service and then you travel to one of their fairs - usually held Feb-Jun.
    European jobs are difficult to get - lots of people want them and most do not pay super "well". Many of the European schools go to the London Fair (as opposed to Iowa where I went- just FYI). Most of these schools help with getting all your paperwork in order and travel expenses etc... packages depend on the school/area where you are going.

If you are interested in a specific country I would suggest googling/searching for International or American Schools in large cities in that country and looking at their websites. They usually tell you what job fair they attend. For example I have friends teaching in The Ben Franklin International School in Barcelona, Spain.

Most international schools want 2 years experience from the states - any state certificate is fine.

You might also look at the Council of International Schools (CIS).
    Good Luck.
    Sorry for not including links – I am a new member and unable to post a message with an actual link.

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 17, 2008

I did my student teaching abroad. If you are that interested, talk to your advisor to see what you can do about student teaching in another country and then maybe you can get your foot in the door somewhere. HOWEVER, like luteran said, most international schools require 2 years experience from schools stateside so you might want to check into other opportunities outside of international schools.

9. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 17, 2008

There are definately opportunities to teach abroad without experience, but there are lots of good/bad jobs too! So definately think it through. I am Canadian and a lot of American/International/Canadian overseas schools hire Canadian teachers who are new to the profession to teach abroad. I've had friends that got sweet jobs that pay off their debt fast and others who got not so hot jobs. But where I live our expectations for pay, benefits, etc are quite high so anything less than what I can get here seems low to me :)