Teaching Abroad with CA credential

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by savmck21, Oct 28, 2020.

  1. savmck21

    savmck21 New Member

    Oct 28, 2020
    Likes Received:

    Oct 28, 2020


    I am currently pursuing my preliminary credential in California. Once I have it I know that I need to clear it and get a level 2 credential to ensure that mine does not expire. My ultimate goal is to teach abroad but I think that I should clear my credential either before I go or in a program that allows it to be cleared teaching in another country. Does anyone know of any programs that allows for the credential to be cleared overseas or any advice about taking a California credential overseas?

    Thank you so much!
  3. Tyler B.

    Tyler B. Groupie

    Feb 21, 2012
    Likes Received:

    Oct 30, 2020

    Where do you want to teach? If you are interested in Germany, Italy or Belgium, Cuba, Japan or Korea, you can teach for the department of defense. I did that for 4 years and loved it (Germany).

    If you want to teach elsewhere or with an English speaking curriculum, you'll need to apply to private schools. There's a wide range of requirements based on the school. Most require 2 years teaching experience or more.

    Here's the requirements for a department of defense High School English teacher:

    Conditions of Employment
    • Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Requirement.
    • Proof of U.S. Citizenship required.
    • Direct deposit of pay is required.
    • Two year trial period may be required.
    • Appointment subject to a suitability/fitness determination, as determined by a background investigation.
    • This position requires a Tier 1 (T1) investigation with Childcare Checks since its duties require interaction with children and youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age.
    • Individuals assigned to Italy, England, or Korea, are required to obtain a visa to enter these countries.
    Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.

    • Current Competitive Service Civilian DoDEA Employee within the Commuting Area
    • Current Excepted Service DoDEA Employee within the Commuting Area
    • Family Member Preference (FMP) for Overseas Employment
    • Military Spouse Preference (MSP) for Overseas Employment

    In order to qualify, you must meet the education requirements described below. A major in English or a minimum of 30 SH in English. A maximum of 5 SH in speech and/or journalism may be counted toward meeting this requirement. Course work must include English literature, American literature, the teaching of composition (writing process), and a minimum of 12 SH in upper level English course; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application..
    FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
  4. CaliforniaRPCV

    CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

    Dec 26, 2009
    Likes Received:

    Oct 31, 2020

    One of the sticky points for the OP would be the teacher induction required to clear the preliminary credential. Are there any such approved California induction programs outside California, much less outside the US?
  5. teacherguy111

    teacherguy111 Cohort

    Jan 9, 2013
    Likes Received:

    Nov 3, 2020

    I doubt there are many programs that guarantee it will transfer to other countries. I am from the uk and live and teach in Ohio. I did college and certification here in Ohio. If I wanted to go back to the uk to teach they have something called overseas trained. I think essentially I could teach in the uk (with slightly less pay) and go to classes as I am teaching.
    tash likes this.
  6. TamiJ

    TamiJ Virtuoso

    Sep 18, 2007
    Likes Received:

    Jan 24, 2021

    I think there might be a way to do that online. I looked into it once (I teach out of the US), but I still haven't cleared my credential because it was expensive. It seems like there were a couple of universities you could do it through online, but, again, it's not cheap.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 227 (members: 2, guests: 206, robots: 19)