Teaching Abroad in the UK

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss Kirby, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 31, 2010

Okay, I knew there were thread about this before (I know I started some of them!) but I can't seen to get the search to work. So here we go again...

I have been thinking about teaching abroad in the UK for a few years now. First it was just a thought, but I never dreamed I could actually do it! Last summer I studied abroad in Ireland for a month, and I loved it, the time just flew by. I know a month is a lot less than a year, and it was easy because we were in a group and stayed together most of the time, but it got me thinking that maybe I could actually do this! It's the perfect time: I still live at home, so don't have to worry about leaving an apartment or house, I'm about to pay off my last car payment, no other financial issues, I'm single, I have a job but I *hopefully* will be able to take a leave of absence and have a job when I return.... Everything seems to be fitting together quite nicely!

I want to go to the UK because I'd be going by myself, they speak English, and it's not as different from the US such as say, Asia or Africa. I found a few different programs. I was looking into Time Plan, Impact Teaching, and Teach London, and so far I like Teach London the best. It's also part of other agencies, Synarbor and Global Education. Has anyone used any of these agencies or know someone who has? I am really excited about this but SO nervous and unsure.

3. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 31, 2010

Hey Kirby -

That's great! I still live at home too, but unfortunately I have not used it to my advantage the way you have. BRAVA :biggrin:

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has used that particular service, though my girlfriend from High School taught in Japan for two years through a similar program.

My advice would be to request information (phone number or email) so you can call and maybe meet up with someone who has been with the program. If they're on the up and up (the program) i don't see why they would have a problem with that.

MISC Reply:

I've been abroad several times, but never to teach. I think it'd be a great experience and who knows, you may find out that you love teaching in the UK or some other country even more so than here in the US.

One of my girlfriends majored in Japanese studies (or something like that) in college and went to teach in Japan for two years and absolutely loved it.

My Aunt also teaches in Alaska (i know it's still the US, but it feels like another country.) and she also loved the experience. She's been trying to get me to come down and teach awhile there.

If everything is on the up and up, GO FOR IT! And please blog about your experiences so I can get some of your courage and go explore the world as a teacher myself. :-D

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 31, 2010

Thank you so much for your advice! I just e-mailed them and asked if I could get an e-mail address of a teacher in the program. I was thinking the same thing, that would be so helpful!

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2010

There's also the Fulbright program - you and a teacher from the other country exchange jobs for a semester or a year.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 31, 2010

I was looking into the Fulbright program just now and I was getting so excited because it looked perfect!!!!!
    But then I noticed that they needed applications in by October 2009. Shoot!

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 31, 2010

I have checked the UKs website for visa application. I don't know what the site address is just now, but one of the requirements I DO remember is that you must have 5,000 British Pounds (money) before they will consider giving you a visa. (There were other requirements, but I don't remember them.) I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is, but I think it's a safe bet that it is at least 1.5 dollars per pound, maybe even 2 dollars for each pound. That's as much as $10K you must have on hand! I really wanted to teach in the UK but that right there blocked me. I don't know if I'd ever be able to save up that much money. I hope things work better for you.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 31, 2010

Do it while you can!! In a lot of ways I regret buying a home 5 years ago because I'm getting restless to DO something, and my house holds me back. Go for it while you can!

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 31, 2010

I don't remember it being that much money. I will have to double check though.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 1, 2010

Have you considered Australia?

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 1, 2010

Go for it!

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 1, 2010

I would love to go to Australia, but I haven't seen many programs for Australia, and I don't know how it would work with the different school year calendars.

So, I'm bummed because this is the response I got when I asked if I could get the email of a teacher (currently in the program or in the past)

I really wish I could but I’m afraid I won’t be able to help you this early. If/when you receive a contract with one of our schools we will definitely put you in touch with one of our current teachers so that you can ask any outstanding questions. However, due to the large volume of teachers we register and work with on a daily basis, it is not fair of us to ask our current teachers to speak with all of our newly registered overseas based teachers. I am sure that you can appreciate that these teachers are busy with their own classes and lesson preparation. I taught in London for 3 years with Global Education and am more than happy to answer any questions you have. I hope this is ok for now?!

:( I guess I understand though! She is super helpful.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 1, 2010

There are a few people on here from the UK. Maybe start a new thread?

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 1, 2010

I have a couple FB friends who live in the UK. I know one is having trouble finding a job since she moved back from Georgia. Let me know if you want me to ask them any specific questions... I know one of them taught in Ecuador and loved it there -- I believe she taught in a british school.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 5, 2010

Okay so I found out that I would need to have saved 2800 pounds which is currently 4456 dollars to apply for the visa. I have this much, and I'll hopefully have more soon since I'm paying my last car payment next week! :D So, I should be good on that. Just keep as much as possible in there because the exchange rate might change..

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 5, 2010

If I actually go there I know I'm going to be so darn confused... because whenever I hear "pounds" I think weight.. not money.. ahh!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 6, 2010

Yay! Go for it Miss Kirby! They must have changed the requirements. I don't have anything in savings because I'm putting it all toward debt, so I won't be going anywhere for a while. keep us informed.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 6, 2010

And you will get used to the money system. It is the driving that would scare me.

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 8, 2010

Yeah, I would not be driving, unless I rented a car. That scares me too, not having a car!!!!!

I guess you are required to have earned enough money a year before you arrive. I added it up and I just barely made it. If the exchange rate gets worse I'm going to be really mad that I can't teach there because my school district has budget cuts!

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 26, 2010

Okay it's been a long time since I've been on here but I just wanted to give an update!!

I was not able to get into the teach abroad programs I was looking into because the UK changed the requirements to get a visa. Plus, it's ridiculously expensive to get a visa, and I was really worried about losing my job at my school when I returned. So I spent that lovely chunk of savings and did another study abroad program in England this past summer. It was a great experience, and I visited a school there. It was so amazing! I didn't want to leave. So, I decided to apply for the Fulbright teacher exchange after all! I'm working on the application right now and it's due in October. I will let you guys know what happens! :D

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2010

Sounds like a great opportunity!!! Good luck! We're taking a trip to Europe (England, Paris, maybe Rome) this summer!

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2010

I am teaching here in Mexico, but am from California. This is my second year. I love it. Our school pays for all the visa and everything, which is nice. We have a teacher from England who teaches at our school here in Mexico. In fact, the teachers are from all over (England, US, Australia, the US, and last year we had a teacher from Russia). Good luck with your experience.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 27, 2010

Thrilled for you, Miss Kirby!

By the way, driving on the left isn't that big a challenge: everyone else will be driving there too, after all. What's really hard is remembering to look right rather than left while crossing the street.

24. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 1, 2010

Okay, I applied. I just got off the phone with one of the Fulbright panel members and scheduled an interview for Saturday. I was expecting it to be a phone interview, since that's what it said online and that's what she said in her voicemail. But when she found out how close I was to her she asked if I would be interested in doing it in person. I get really nervous in interviews, I thought by phone would be better! Plus, what she thinks is close is really an hour away for me. So I told her phone interview, if that works for her. Not sure if that was the right choice. Feeling so nervous and second guessing everything I sad. Yikes! But, all I can do is my best and hope that is enough. I'm looking for any advice from people who have interviewed. I found a couple things online with interview questions people have been asked. I think I need to practice!!

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 3, 2010

Good luck! I am sure you will do well.

26. smalltowngal

Dec 3, 2010

Good luck!

27. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 1, 2011

I had the interview, and I just got a letter from Washington saying that the peer review committee has recommended me to be matched! So excited!!

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2011

That's wonderful!! Congratulations!!!

Any idea of the timeline?

29. smalltowngal

Jan 2, 2011

Great news!!!

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2011

Thats great, Miss Kirby!

31. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 2, 2011

Between January and March matching will take place. So I suppose I should hear sometime in between. They'll send information about the proposed teacher to each school to approve before they are matched. I'll know the latest by early April. Ahhhh!

32. smalltowngal

Jan 2, 2011

How exciting!!

33. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

:celebrate: Yahoo! Congratulations!

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

That's so very exciting! Keep us posted. I might be interested (later on) to see how you went about all this. Now that we have been here in Mexico, we are thinking (future wise) to try out other countries. International teaching is so huge, and when I first went into teaching I never even thought about it doing it internationally, but I am loving the experience. Good luck and update us!!!!!

35. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

Any update?

36. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 5, 2011

I was accepted, but did not get a match. I am planning on applying again for next year. It's so hard... the waiting... :\