Teaching Abroad... I just might have the guts to do it.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2009

So for a while I have been thinking about teaching abroad in England but now I'm starting to think about it more seriously for next school year. I'm worried, with the economy, about my job when I come back. But I'm going to be guaranteed a position if I take a leave of absence, even though it might not be in the same grade level or school. But I'm thinking it would be the perfect time to do something like this. I just finished my master's degree, I'm single, still living at home so I can save up more money and also not have to worry about storage for my things if I leave. After being in Ireland for a month this summer I just want to travel as much as I can!

Anyway, I know there have been threads on this in the past but has anyone done this? Some of the programs I have been looking into are www.timeplan.com and www.bluewaveinternational.com. Does anyone have any experience with these programs? Thanks!

3. ally06

ally06 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

Awesome! I did this a few years ago and had a great time. I had a Year 5 class for a term, travelled over the summer and then did supply teaching for a few months. I went through Protocol Teachers and found it very easy to get set up and had heaps of work.
    Let me know if you want to know anything else :)

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2009

That's great! Where did you teach? What were your living arrangements? How much money did you make? How did the company you went with help you get settled?

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

I taught overseas at a Dept. of Defense school in England for 2 years while Dh was stationed there. Great pay, great benefits. I say do it now, while you're young and unencumbered, and while you have your family's support back home (for storage of your things, etc.).
    Kim

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

Be very careful about the UK. Our Government does not recognise many of the overseas teaching qualifications (even if they are better than ours)!. Also you need to look at what age group and what subjects you are offering. You could find yourself on an 'unqualified' payscale which means right at the bottom (£17,000) a year. Also the sorts of schools that have vacancies and would take you (in the Government sector at least) will be in the most 'challenging' areas (challenging is what our Government calls 'impossible to teach in' schools). Many of these will be in the middle of cities and the cost of living in many of our cities (especially London) will be unaffordable to someone on a low salary. Currently we have a scheme where teachers are bused in from Wales (about 100 miles) each week to London, live in dormitories and then bused home again at weekends!

If you can find the right school in a better part of the country 9I would not recommend London) then you could be OK. Remember though living here will be a lot more expensive than in the USA. Gas (petrol) is currently about $7 per gallon a 1 bedroom appartment in a city outside of London could set you back at least $600 per month and that would be living in pretty poor areas.

Good luck.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

I have a friend who knew someone who taught on a military base and it was a great experience. I don't remember the contacting agencies, I briefly looked at the ones you posted and didn't recognize them.

It's an incredible opportunity for you especially if your district will hold your job for you.

Just look at it this way, in 10 years will you regret that you didn't take advantage of an opportunity like this?

8. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Misskirby--If I were in your shoes...I'd jump at the chance to teach aboard. This would be the best time to do it--no kids, no SO. If you choose to do this I hope you keep us posted on your adventures.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2009

I was thinking about a military base for you, too, when I read this, and thought it sounded awesome. I'd never have the guts to do it, but I bet you can learn so much from it. I have two teacher friends (from college and h.s.) who teach abroad in Japan.

10. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I taught overseas for several years and it was the best time of my life. This was in Asia, and as I left the economy was just starting to sink. Had I stayed, I would have lost my job as the company I taught in (private school) closed a year later. Be prepared for that possibility. I know that the economy is bad here in the US, but I hear it's also very bad in England and everywhere else. Be sure you have enough set aside to fly home.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

MissKirby~I so wish I could do something like this. I say do it know before you talk yourself out of it. I'd make sure to read reviews from people who have gone through the programs you're thinking about going through. I have 2 friends currently in S. Korea teaching.

12. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Ok you made me think of this ad I read on craigslist. I have NO CLUE how legit it is but if I was younger and had no kids I might consider it. The salary is great.

Here is the ad:

Kindergarten Principal (Abu Dhabi, UAE)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2009-07-29, 2:26PM PDT
    Reply to: NJarrett@caneducom.com [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABU DHABI – FEMALE PRINCIPAL - PUBLIC SCHOOL KINDERGARTEN FOR GIRLS
    A dynamic world class young female professional (due to gender school segregation) is required for brand new model Kindergarten Pilot School in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
    Qualifications - Native English speaker or Bilingual English/Arabic, with a minimum Masters Degree in Early Childhood / Primary Education with 5 years of ECH teaching, and 5 years of Principal experience in a Kindergarten school.
    Contract Period - Two year contract period with option to extend.
    Special Feature – due to its unique characteristic, the Principal will be required to participate in various professional events illustrating the schools philosophy and progress.
    Compensation Package – A handsome 12 month salary, no UAE taxes; international air travel for spouse and up to 3 dependent children under 18; air-conditioned apartment; a settling in allowance for furniture/appliances; comprehensive healthcare coverage, a generous summer vacation; numerous statutory holidays; a family vacation travel allowance after 1 year; and year-end bonus.
    Please submit current resume to N. Jarrett @ NJarrett@caneducom.com by deadline of August 15 2009.

Compensation: USD115,000 annual
    This is a contract job.
    Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    Please, no phone calls about this job!
    Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

13. ally06

ally06 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

The first job I had was in Kent for a term - I had it set up through the agency before I arrived. The agency didn't actually help with accommodation but they put me in contact with a lady from the area who did. She found me a couple to stay with for a week or so until I found something. I ended up looking on gumtree.com (I think!) and found a guy who lived within easy walking distance of the school who had a spare room. He was great to live with.
    When I wanted to do supply teaching I went to live in Croydon (South of London) and again found accomm. with a Polish and Bulgarian couple through the same website. All my accomm. fell into place very easily!
    I think from memory I made about 90 pounds a day and there were very few days I did not have work.
    I had a working holiday visa so I didn't have to have work set up before I went but it made me feel a lot better to have it organised!
    Anyway, I'll stop rambling but I am happy to try and answer any other questions you have :D

14. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

From September this year English and Welsh schools (but not Scottish) are bringing in a new system for supply (substitute) teaching. Under the new rules the schools are hiring 'unqualified' Cover supervisors. These people earn roughly halfthe pay of a teacher and are employed strictly to cover for absent staff. It is expected that this move will reduce drastically the requirement for schools to buy in expensive supply teachers. There may be loads of vacancies for ciover supervisors however the situation on supply teaching is not clear. Also many of the agencies, seeing an opportunity to make more money, are hiring supply teachers but on cover supervisor rates of pay! For many of these teachers it is either take the lower rate or not be employed!

But again this can vary from region to region and in areas where they just can't get people willing to stand in front of classes (Inner cities mainly) then schools will probably have to bite the bullet and pay for proper supply teachers.

15. ally06

ally06 Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Wow! I'm really glad I went when I did!

16. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

Check out the website Dave's esl cafe
    It has the most comprehensive job listings and also has discussion boards and all of that. It is a good place to start.
    Good luck!
    I did the Peace Corps. I still think about going abroad again and teaching. It would be great. Good lick!

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2009

Miss Kirby, I say go for it! :thumb: Any kind of travelling is the experience of a lifetime & if you're actually going to live & teach in another country, that's on a whole other level of immersion & experieces as oppsed to just going there for a 2 week vacation.

You're young & footloose & fancy free w/ no spouse or children obligations. Travel as much as you can & have the money for! Not that I'm old, but I wish I had travelled more by now.

18. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

Wow, that sounds like a terrific idea! If you can manage it, do it! Take every opportunity that you can!

19. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

I wish I could do it too, Miss Kirby! One of my dearest friends and teaching buddies grew up in a school in Russia (her parents were missionaries there), returned to teach there for a few years, then came back and taught in the States, and spent the last year in Jerusalem. Great adventures, all, and she has many friends all over the world from the experiences. I don't know if you'd consider Christian schools, but ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) has lots of openings all over the world posted on their website.