Teaching about the Elections to HS Life skils

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Giggles1100, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

I am being observed next week, I have always gotten Superiors on all my evals, but this principal does not give Superiors AT ALL, I want to knock his socks off and show him how far I have brought this dept in 3 years, we went from functioning at a Pre-k K level to really working at all levels from Pre-K to 7th grade and the restructuring of the dept with my other 2 co teachers has been phenominal for making our kids more "NORMAL" I took over a class that was 18 years outdated 3 years ago the life skills kids had never even been to a pep rally or eaten lunch out of the classroom, now we are all over campus and can actually do group learning twice a day.

SO I got notice that I am to be observed next week and I normally do a fun lesson on Presidents and in the past I have tried a class election and it has bombed but now that I am co teaching with 2 other ladies, I think we can make a classroom election work with posters and such. Some of my kids can vote but they know about as much about the candidates as my 1st grader so I will review some with them and do some of my past president names and what presidents are on money and how much does a George Washington and a Lincoln add up too etc. But does anyone have any other election type things they do I can try? We have 16 kids together we divide up into groups too and we function from 4 years to the avg. 14-15 year old, but we are not the best at writing or spelling, and they work well together. Anything you have done or websites you have gotten good info would be great.

TIA

Heather

3. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Hi Heather,

It sounds like you have some good ideas. I don't have much else to offer, but I came across this newsletter that listed out "Your Rights as a Voter with a Disability." If you can use it for anything, here's the link: http://www.arcofdentoncounty.org/images/ArcLetter1108.pdf . It's on page 7.

Good luck showing off your students! :)

Nicole

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2008

I believe Scholastic has some neat election activities online. I teach everything except social studies so thats about the best I can do.

Thanks for the link about voters with disabilities. I have one student that will be voting this year. He is high functioning autistic but still may need someone to help him vote so this will be great to show him.

5. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Yes that was a great link I have a few this will be helpful for. Thanks I am going to Scholastics now!

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2008

News-2-You has an awesome activity packet with voting/election activities (to include math skills, cooking, etc. -- "president's pancakes" is this week's cooking project.)

They also have a neat "newspaper article" that talks about the election and the candidates.

My severe to profound kids with autism are able to distinguish the symbols for democrat and republican because of this article!

If you or anyone you know has a subscription - this would surely be a wonderful resource.

Also, enchantedlearning has some cool stuff about voting and elections.