Teaching About Cultural Differences Around The World

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2010

I am a 3rd grade teacher. The glitch in our Social Studies curriculum is to teach the concepts comparing/contrasting with other countries. For example, I am teaching about U.S government over the next couple of weeks, so I will be including some comparisons and ideas of governments in other countries. I plan to focus on 3 continents: Asia, Africa and Australia. Does anyone have any cool lesson plans or have any useful websites that will help me in this?? Any information will be helpful. I plan to do Christmas Around The World as well in December.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!!!:cool:

3. cateste

cateste Companion

Nov 13, 2010

4. kiwi_believes

kiwi_believes New Member

Nov 15, 2010

A good book to use for diferent cultures

I have a good book to use with the lesson plans. It show different pictures of life in other countries along with what's legal and what's not. The title is Every Human Has Rights, by Mary Robinson. in the book is also a copy of the U.N.'s list of human rights.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 15, 2010

The first grade teachers at my school have to cover this, and I know they do a grade-level celebration around Christmas time. Each family brings in a food from another culture, and the kids have a big feast. It seems like a lot of fun!