Teaching ABC's

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Mrs_Barrett, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jan 10, 2006

I teach preschool special education. I have mostly 4 and 5 years old. They all are going to be going to our transitional kindergarten next year, or least some of them. The one's who won't go full time, will be 1/2 time my room and 1/2 time TK.

I just started teaching the alphabet and I was wondering if this is something that any of you teach too? Yesterday was our first day, and I am teaching the letter M this week. I know some of them won't comprehend what the letter M sounds like or be able to write it, but I'm hoping that some will be able to identify the letter and say the letter.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done this? I tend to set my objectives way too high, and this is my first year teaching preschool sped. I'm thinking that this might be too much for them.

Please help!

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 10, 2006

I have used the alphabet people it works pretty good.

4. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jan 10, 2006

I used that when I was a little kid. Do you know if they still produce any of those materials nowadays?

I currently use Frog Street Press materials. Along with their music. I have some old material from when I student taught (that I made copies of). Where we make puppets and read a story and practice the sound of the letter.

I just didn't know if this was too hard for students who are special needs?!

5. Angela2006

Angela2006 Rookie

Jan 10, 2006

I am teaching pre-kindergarten and I use the letter people. My 4 & 5 year olds love the letter people. My set was given to me by the previous teacher but you could order some at this website. www.abramsandcompany

I have the huggables. The kids love to see and touch the letter people they are a part of the class now.

6. MomtoWyatt

MomtoWyatt Rookie

Jan 10, 2006

They still do produce the letter people but some of them have changed. (you would find it on the internet under abrams publishing). They are very expensive! I went on e bay and typed in letter people and got a CD of the songs and the coloring sheets for about 20.00. I took the coloring sheets and cut around the letter person and colored and laminated them to use in the classroom instead of the blow up dolls (now they have puppets also). My kids love them. We do lots of different activities each day with the letter person of the week!

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2006

I think the children will benefit from you teaching the alphabet, as long as you have fun with it...lots of songs and games. That's the best way to teach them. I have foam letters cut out and made a letter tree this year(around my chimney!) We learn about one letter a week(no special order, but I do stay pretty much in order) This is what we say in circle about the letter tree...
    ALL...Lots of letters we do see.
    Teacher...What letter will you pick from the tree?(choose one student) and hand them the pointer
    Child...I will pick the letter "R"...they point to it(you can help or have a friend help)
    All Together...The letter "R" sounds like "rrrr"
    Today I gave each of copy of the letter R, block style, and had then color it RED...and had a pile of buttons for them to sort through and pick out only the RED ones to glue on their r's. It was great!

8. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Jan 11, 2006

I teach spec ed preschool also and I just started the abc's. I started with letter A and will probably go in order... I used a ditto with A on it and using red & green paint to make apples with our thumb prints, made the stems using brown crayon when paint was dry and then I had the class use Ant stickers to place on the Apples..... they had fun..

I have this great alphabet book that has songs for each letter... Its Sing & Read Alphabet by Fog Street Press (I believe that's the name it's in my class), and then I make pictures of the words in the song or used objects if I had them and hid them in the class and the kids have to find them. They found alligators, astronauts, apples, airplanes. They really enjoyed the hunt for everything.

You can also play "pass the letter" the same way you play hot potato... Enjoy & Have Fun.....:)

9. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Jan 12, 2006

Grammy Teacher I love the letter tree idea.... I can't wait for my class to learn a few more letters and try this. Thanks for the cool idea....

10. kdilly713

kdilly713 Rookie

Jan 19, 2006

Last year I had 4 & 5's. We would brainstorm once a week words that started with the letter of the week. We first talked about the letters sound and then I asked if anyone knew any words that started with that sound. Obviously some letters are a little more challenging than others, but I was amazed at how well they did with the activity. It was one of those "gotta fill a few minutes" kind of things that turned into something we did all of the time. I always made sure to sprinkle in words myself when they struggled and encouraged them even when they came up with a "different letter" word. I'd say something like "good try, but that starts with __. Can you think of something that starts with ___?"

I have 3's this year and since after Christmas, we have had a letter of the week. I come up with words that start with the letter (that I can draw). We talk about the letter and the sound it makes using the word pictures. They are remembering the letters pretty well - granted its only been 3 weeks but that's a start right? I figure the more they are exposed to this year lessens the stress on me when I have them next year before they head off to kindergarten.

11. JulieC

JulieC Rookie

Jan 19, 2006

We use sandpaper letters and only teach the sound. We do get kids who already know their letters and then we say "This is the letter M which makes the sound MMMM" Try following up with sounds "I Spy". My three year old loves it and is already half-way through his abcs.

12. TEACHER ELISE

TEACHER ELISE New Member

Jan 19, 2006

I Teach Pre-k And We Do The Letters All Year Long,i Use Pictures And Words On A Chart. I Do This For Every Letter. We Do Alot Of Hands On Projects That Go With The Letters.
    I Hope This Helps
    Elise

13. buterfly

buterfly Companion

Jan 23, 2006

Kdilly173, I use the same approach to teach letters in my classroom! The kids are having great success with it. My non-English speaking students (who do speak a bit more than they did in the beginning of the year) can recognize and name letters and tell me words or point to pictures that start with said letters!! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having success w/ this approach :)

14. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Jul 8, 2006

Alphabet Mini Book Stories

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can look or purchase mini alphabet books.

I was looking for a mini book like a letter a week mini book.
    Words that begin with the letter "B" and so on.

Sample: Barney Bear

Barney bear was very brown. His fur was thick and burley.
    Barney would climb a large branch for his nap. While he was sleeping he was awaken by Brenda Bluebird sining her favorite song.

This is just kind of what I have been looking for. There are small pictures to the story and the child can color the pictures and they also circle the letter in the word that starts with the letter of the week.
    In this case "B"

Any suggestion would be apprecaited.

Thanks so much

15. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

With my little girl I made an alphablet book and stuck in photographs of people she knows that with the letter. Maybe you could focus on the children in the class first.
    Whenever we get into an elevator she always says, "do I push B for Bernie or G for Gabby?'

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

Lori (SpecialPreskool) would be a great person to ask. She also teaches Sp. Ed. Pre-K.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 9, 2006

I teach K-2 mild autism, and I will be using the Orton-Gillingham program this year. It should work great for your 5 year olds and it needed parts could be easily adapted for your 4 year olds. It has it all - letter recognition, phonics, reading and writing. It seems well organized and once you get used to it and once you get organized it is suppose to be really simple and fun. I was emailed all of the cards, so I just have to print and laminate them and the rest of the material will most likely cost less than $10 to put together- my kind of program, cheap.

There is tons of information on the internet on this program and I have been to 2 Orton-Gillingham workshops (one better than the other :)). If you are interested in the program I could e-mail you the cards and I could photocopy and mail you the handouts and my notes.

18. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jul 9, 2006

Your standards can never be to high. My supervisor used to tell me that it was my job to introduce them not to expect them to learn them. However, I felt that I had failed somehow if I settled for any less. Most of my Pre-K know all their letters and sounds before they leave me. The more you teach and review letters covered daily.