Teaching a subject you used to hate?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissKatie, Dec 20, 2011.

1. MissKatie

MissKatie Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

I'm a high school Senior, and I just declared my college major in Middle Childhood Education- Language Arts and Mathematics. I am minoring in Spanish.

I am curious as to how many of you are teaching a subject you once despised? I grew up hating math - utter loathing. I told my seventh grade math teacher that I was never going into a math field, but now, in all likelihood, I'm going to be a math teacher... and I'm alright with that.

I'm still not too fond of my current math class-Calculus is a shock at first. However, I started tutoring an ESL student in math this year, and I like it. I remember struggling in math, and it feels good to help someone else avoid my fate.

So, I'm curious: Is anyone else here teaching a subject they once loathed... and liking it?

3. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Dec 20, 2011

Yes, I too HATED math! Guess what .. I now teach 7th grade math! :lol: How does that happen? But I like!;)

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 20, 2011

I didn't hate math growing up, but the language arts classes were definitely my favorite. In high school, I discovered I like math and really love teaching math.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011

There are things I hated in school I enjoy teaching now. And things I loved in school that I don't like teaching.

It works both ways.

6. kme93

kme93 Companion

Dec 20, 2011

I hated math when I was in school. After taking the AP Calc test, I remember telling my teacher "This is the last math class I'll ever take!" After changing my major several times, I ended up with a math degree and teaching math!

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 21, 2011

Yep! Hated Chemistry but now I teach it. I even hated Chemistry in college but it was easy to get a degree in it, so I got one. Because of that degree I was asked to teach it an fell in love with TEACHING it. Still not my favorite subject to learn though ;)

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2011

Sometimes the best teachers are those that didn't enjoy the subject they are teaching or those that struggled with the subject that they are teaching.

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2011

I can say there are subjects in school I did not enjoy as a student and still do not like as a teacher. I know that I am a better teacher with the ones I enjoy. The kids know it too.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2011

I believe this because I always loved reading, English, and literature - but honestly, I am not really a fan of teaching it.

11. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Dec 21, 2011

I was never a fan of science, but love teaching it to my fourth graders. A "teaching science" professor in college made me feel confident in being able to teach it.

I think I enjoy teaching subjects I didn't like as much because I am able to make students feel differently about them. If you struggled with a subject and eventually got it, you have all that experience to put into how to teach the subject from a different view point.

12. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Dec 21, 2011

I did student teaching in social studies and special ed. I've loved history since I was like... two, but I discovered I hated teaching it. It's not a tested subject and there is just so much apathy about the subject from both teachers and students (in my experience, that is!).

My first job was teaching science. I didn't like science and never did well at it. Two weeks into teaching, a strange thing happened - I fell in love with science! By a month into the job, I was hitting myself for not getting a degree in chemistry. :)

13. MissKatie

MissKatie Rookie

Dec 21, 2011

I totally agree, everyone! I just never thought- not in a million years- that I'd be a math teacher.

I've had some great math teachers, and some pretty atrocious ones. The teacher made all the difference each year. Because of the teacher, I'd either love math that year or hate it. Regarding the bad teacher, I'd always think, "Gosh, why don't they do things this way? That would make life so much easier!" Now, I can be in charge.:)

I love English and art, and I also think my creative, right-brained students can benefit from a math teacher who can actually understands their minds, while insisting that numbers are so bad.:)

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2011

I never understood science and therefore hated it in school. In 7th grade I had to reimburse the school for all the glassware I broke. In 10 grade chemistry, I exploded sulfuric acid and had holes in my jeans all day.
    I taught science for 15 years and LOVED it! I think I had an understanding of the basics that students need to succeed in higher levels of science.
    Now I'm teaching English. I loved it as a student. We'll see how it goes.

15. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 21, 2011

Yes! I really didn't like math growing up (and I wasn't great at it either). Now I teach math to students with learning disabilities. I like teaching math because it's really cut and dry. There's only one right answer for every problem. In something like language arts, you can discuss something forever and come up with many possible answers. I find it easier to assess in math, and there are many more hands-on activities for math.

16. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Dec 21, 2011

I entered college thinking (an vocalizing) that I HATED science. And now I'm wrapping up my science education degree and I wish I had the money to go on to get my masters in Microbiology.

17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2011

I hated, hated, hated math growing up. I was very "book smart" growing up and did very well in school, but math was the one subject that always tripped me up. It never seemed logical to me. I studied my butt off and somehow always ended up in the advanced class (I believe partly only because I was in advanced for everything else) and I really should not have been. My dad's best friend from work is a math teacher. When I was little I used to tell him, "Math teachers are torturers of children." :)
    Now I can honestly say math if my favorite subject to teach, and the one I'm best at teaching. I teach special ed so all of my kids need that extra support- and I find in math I often understand why they don't "get it." I also understand what I need to do to break it down to levels other people who are good at math wouldn't even think of. Kids often make astonishing progress in math with me. I love that I'm able to do for them what people couldn't do for me when I was in school. I also found math incredibly boring in school and I love that I'm able to make it fun in my class. I also think that really struggling with a subject helps me empathize with my students on a much more "real" level. I don't get upset if they don't understand something I've explained 15 times in a row, because I was that kid! I know they need to see it another way, or maybe they need to hear it 30 times or 200 times.

18. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Dec 22, 2011

I hated, HATED, math growing up. I never understood it even in college. Now it is my favorite subject to teach. I love seeing the kids get excited when they get it. I also think that I can teach it in a way that my lower kids can understand since I struggled with it so much.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2011

One thing about teaching elementary is you will be teaching something that wasn't necessarily your favorite. You'll get over it because you'll want it to be fun for the kids and will likely begin to enjoy it (or at least not hate it) yourself.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2011

I also find that I missed a lot of the simple concepts in math when I was a kid. Even though I am teaching only 1st grade, I have been able to make things click by just realizing the concepts behind them, so teaching math has been a great thing. Of course, we certainly teach math much differently than I learned it, so that might be part of it.

21. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2011

There is no guarantee of that. I am honest with my students. They know the subjects and activities I enjoy and the ones I don't, I tell them upfront. That is not something I am going to fake and I tell them that they do not have to like everything we do either.

22. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Dec 22, 2011

I teach all subjects in all grade levels.

There are many subjects that I do not like, but I must do so. I am not certified to teach some subjects, so my content knowledge is limited. Most teachers are willing to give me resources to help me do my job more easily.

23. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2011

I was an English major in college because I loved the subject. I am VERY happy to be teaching 2 periods of English. I did well in high school math, but never took it in college because wasn't interested in it. Now, I'm an inclusion teacher an Algebra and Geometry, and I teach my students a pullout math tutorial. I love teaching math! I love that it's straightforward. There are actual steps that lead to a correct answer. ELA can be so subjective that it's often difficult and time consuming to grade.