Teaching a split

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ChelserG90, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ChelserG90

ChelserG90 Rookie

Aug 28, 2015

I don't think I'm managing my split very well. The second grade reading tests came back low, and now I'm just completely discouraged. I'm trying to teach as many things together as possible, but second grade and third grade really don't have a lot in common. I'm thankfully getting help with math, but reading is just tough.

I try to get get the second graders started on something independent, but they just completely struggle to stay independent. They want to ask questions about things they could probably ask someone in their group about. I just find myself being kinda mean and snappy sometimes, and that's not me. I'm not usually like that. It's not their fault they're in a split. I don't want to make this miserable for them, but I feel like they kinda are.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be better than what I have now. Right now, I'm lost on what to do. I really have no idea. Everything I try isn't working. :/

I was thinking of doing a modified choice menu type thing. Where they have to complete a task each day, while I'm teaching the other grade. I don't know.

Right now, the second graders have three rotations, and that occurs with music. They struggle to rotate by themselves, which is why I don't really want them to rotate. They get too loud and it takes way to long for them to rotate. They, also, start fighting with one another. They're frustrated, because I'm frustrated too. I just want to make this work, but I really don't know how.

3. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Aug 29, 2015

I'm in the same boat, but with 1st and 2nd. My kids are also very dependent, and unfortunately our curriculum is very song-heavy and very teacher-led activity heavy. I have parent volunteers who have been good about coming in regularly, but they can't take anyone out of the room and there's just TOO much noise in my small classroom. If you figure anything out, let me know, too!

4. ChelserG90

ChelserG90 Rookie

Aug 29, 2015

Splits are hard, aren't they? :/

If I were you, I would try to find parts of the curriculum that match up. I think you will be surprised to see how many similarities you find in 1st and 2nd grade. I think doing independent groups with 1st and 2nd would be hard, because they really need to be eased into that position. Unfortunately, a teacher really doesn't have time to "teach" groups in a split class.

Luckily, I have a math interventionist helping me during math. She takes one group and I teach the other.

My reading test scores came back for second grade and they were pretty bad, so I'm trying to find a way to improve my instruction for them. Then again, I didn't really teach them how to take the test, so they may have just gone with whatever answer. I think I'm going to have to read my test to them for a couple weeks, because they are doing badly.