Teaching a sample lesson to get a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gemgirlxoxo, Jan 19, 2012.

1. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Jan 19, 2012

Has anyone here had to teach a sample lesson during the interview process? My college supervisor told me that some schools observe you teaching a sample lesson before hiring you. Just wondering if anyone here has experienced this and how common it is?

Just thinking about having to do that in addition to interviewing makes me nervous.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2012

My school asks for demo lessons.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2012

My school does it if they can (if they can get interviews in while school is still in session). We did it for all of our open positions last year. I didn't have to do it for my job because I was hired in July, and obviously there were no kids to teach haha. I don't know how people do it- I'm pretty sure I would just melt into a puddle of nerves! Especially since it's a whole class of kids you've never met and know nothing about!

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2012

I had to do an interview with a panel of teachers and students, and teach a demo class for the principal - 70 minutes. (In my case, the class did not have a permanent teacher, so I subbed for a few weeks and then got the opportunity to interview - and teach a demo - for the full time position.)

6. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Jan 19, 2012

Did the students ask you questions during the interview? I'm assuming it was high school students?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2012

Many of us have done one somewhere along the way. It's a great way for those doing the intervewing to get some idea of who you are as a teacher-- how you interact with the kids, how you explain the material. If you interview before school ends for the summer, you can probably expect to do a demo lesson at some point.

Think of it as a great opportunity to showcase how strong a teacher you are!

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2012

Yep, I just did that very thing this past Tuesday. I prepared a lesson and taught it, about 45 minutes, to an actual class at the school. In the past I have done a demo lesson to a panel of teachers and principals. I was comfortable doing the sample lesson, but I have been teaching a similar grade for 3 years now, which likely helped me feel comfortable.

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 20, 2012

Yup! I actually did a demo with my kids I had when I student taught (long story....) It was actually my most difficult class and they worked their tails off for me that day. I was so proud of them.

They gave me a lesson topic, told me to plan a 40 minute lesson, and then asked me what technology I wanted. There was a panel of 8 people (principals, teachers, dep't chairs, superintendent) .

Almost all schools in my area do demo lessons.

10. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Jan 20, 2012

On Long Island, they will definitely have you do a demo lesson.

11. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for the answers :)

How long do they give you to prepare for the lesson? Also, how many people observe you teaching the demo lesson?

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2012

They'll most likely give you a few days. As to who will observe, it will vary. Figure Principal, maybe department chair or AP, maybe someone else.

They KNOW it's not the "real you" teaching a typical lesson. You'll be plopped into the middle of a school year, with kids you don't know. You weren't in class yesterday and you won't be there tomorrow.

But they can get a sense of your style, of your ability to answer questions, of who you are in front of a class. Then they can compare to how they felt about other candidates under roughly the same circumstances.

Again, don't sweat it. Think of it as your chance to wipe away the competition.

13. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jan 21, 2012

Washoe County (NV) School District just started implementing such an idea. It is another boondoggle, as it is human resources rather than principals at school sites who screen the applicants to go on the teacher pool by using the "demo lesson" approach. How the district feels people with no training as teachers are qualified to know if somebody can teach (and it is dumb anyway considering these teacher applicants are either experienced teachers or have just graduated from student teaching) is a mystery to me.

Besides, people who already have family connections can simply jettison the process or the panel rubberstamps the applicant knowing his or her mommy or daddy or hubby or wifey is already employed in the district. It isn't going to make it more fair for applicants.

14. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Jan 21, 2012

I've had to do two of them. Both had four or five staff members watching the lesson. Someone did a demo lesson at my school a few weeks ago and I think there were probably about 7-10 people watching her. It will really depend on the school and who's available.

Some tips (if you end up doing one):
    -Ask about what technology they will have available and try to incorporate it
    -Create one specific goal that you know you can meet in the allotted time. A big mistake people make is trying to do too much in the time given.
    -Be able to identify the standard(s) you are teaching
    -Have the kids make name tags. Use their names when you call on them.
    -Be ready to talk to the principal about how you would extend the lesson
    -Try to have some sort formal assessment, so that you can analyze whether or not you achieved your goal

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2012

I had a week from the time I interviewed and then did my demo lesson. Afterwards, the P took me to her office, we had coffee, and I was offered the job on the spot.