Teaching a novel you find boring

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Odradek, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Odradek

Odradek Rookie

Jan 21, 2019

I have to teach Brave New World, which I find horrendously boring. Ever been in that situation? How do I fake it???

This is not a very substantive post, just venting instead of lesson planning.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 21, 2019

I have been there. I do two things in those situations. One, I find something to like in the book. Even a boring book has some good points. Two, I sometimes use it as an important time to practice revising in writing. I don't criticize the book, but I do ask them to find some ways to make a certain part of a chapter more interesting. Working in partners or small groups they usually can see that they can revise a popular piece of literature. Revising someone else's writing is often much easier than revising one's own writing.

4. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jan 21, 2019

Great ideas. I have also has students get in groups to draw a picture of a certain plot in a chapter. It needed to be accurate and have a short summary.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2019

The long expository chapters at the end are challenging. When I taught 1984 and got to Goldstein’s Book, which is very dense and dry, I’d assign chunks of it to students to rewrite in the form of a textbook for a 12 year-old. They had to understand the text well enough to explain it in very simple terms. You might try something like that.

ms.irene likes this.
  6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2019

You have to find what's interesting about it, or your students never will. That is the job of an English teacher -- to take what would otherwise be a dusty old book and find what is still fascinating or relevant about it.

Brave New World was actually one of my favorites in high school -- I read it on my own, not for a class. Even back in the dark ages (late 1990s, lol) I saw how relevant Huxley's depiction of the "future" was to our current society. I would think the connections could be even stronger, today. What about having students look into ways we are all "soma"tized (as in, sedated) -- through our addictions to TV, movies, social media, etc -- or even the literal addictions we are plagued with -- most lethal overdoses being from sedative-type drugs (fentanyl, opioids, etc).

Or, what about looking at Huxley's "Doors of Perception" and pairing it with a close reading of lyrics from a Doors song (being the inspiration for their name)? I know that music is "oldies" now as it was for me back then, but a lot of high schoolers are into classic rock now and would think the lyrics are interesting. "People Are Strange" would connect thematically to BNW, for example.

7. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 29, 2019

I have two options for this situation:
    -Option 1: Maintain the targeted skill/concept/theme, but change the novel
    -Option 2: Instead of reading the book, change it to a film study or a creative project. Instead of assigning nightly reading/guided reading, maybe try having students make chapter annotations and create a collage of major events that develop the novel. Also, use a multi-media approach or even have students role-play events in the book.
    Note: I have only taught high school English many years (way more than a decade ago)...for 1 year. I teach elementary, so my suggestion may not necessarily be as relevant.

8. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 29, 2019

Sorry. Accidental double post.
    Would like this to be deleted, please.

9. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 11, 2019

Luckily I get to pick my own novels!

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  10. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Feb 17, 2019

I have not taught (or read) Brave New World, but in general for novels/short stories, etc. that I don't prefer to teach but have to, I try to bring in current-day articles, video clips, TED talks, etc. that touch on a topic from the novel. Relate it to something going on today.

11. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 17, 2019

In the future, make the novel fun for you and your students. Maybe plan a few games that relate to the novel.