Teaching a Novel/Help

Discussion in 'High School' started by anewstart101, Oct 27, 2013.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 27, 2013

I am a mild moderate english/reading high functioning autism teacher. I teach high school.

I have never taught a novel before first time for everything. I picked a jr high novel for my class because I have some freedom. I want to do 9th grade novel in the spring.

I am feeling my way through this. We do some projects. Read the novel/discuss it. I have been giving chapter quizzes

no comprehension/scores are horrible ----

How can I structure the period to help with comprehension. I was thinking of listening to it audio version follow along/ powerpoint/ use notes to help on the quiz.

Class periods are 53 minutes long. I am also doing the vocabulary for each chapter.

Thanks in advance

3. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Oct 28, 2013

What I do with my lower level kids is have comprehension questions for each chapter, and also have them summarize each chapter. If the chapters are long, summarize as you go. If the movie is available, show clips of the important scenes. Audio books are also a huge help, but I switch off between group reading and audio book so they get practice with both.

I also have my kids act out parts of the book and do partner sharing stuff, but I don't know if that would work for your kiddos.

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 29, 2013

I have bought way to much on teacher pay teachers. I have done a lot if reading and research --- this area is new to me ---