teaching a modified program at the same time as a regular program?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by nicolek, Sep 16, 2006.

1. nicolek

nicolek Rookie

Sep 16, 2006

Hi all,

If anyone has some suggestions i would really love to hear them. I am teaching grade 8 science, but in my class there are about 15 students on modified programs. Most of them are at about a grade 4 level in science, while the other 10 students are very smart and will do well in the regular grade 8 program.

How do I go about teaching this class? So I treat it as a split class? The tough part comes when there are movies to show, or field trips to go on. The curriculum is very different from grade 4 to grade 8 and there is little to no overlap in the subjects we will be covering throughout the course.

What do I do????? Thank you!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2006

We tend to provide only accommodations in the content areas, or we may modify the number of expectations addressed, but we always teach the grade level curriculum. Often the difficulty is not in the content area (for example, science), but it is in the language involved. Could you keep all students learning the same content but present it in different ways for the different students? Try to find easier texts, provide notes, offer alternative assessment options, focus on the "key" expectations.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 17, 2006

Since deaf students often come in with different lanaguage capabilities, that's pretty much the approach we take as well. We offer the same content, but more/less challenging work or modified language content/approaches.

5. nicolek

nicolek Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

than kyou for your replies, however the miistry of education requires that these students get more than adaptaions, they are enttled to a modifed program. It sure is tricky though!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2006

You can modify the number of expectations that they have to meet, without modifying the grade level. (For example, the modification can be that they master only 3 of the expectations for a certain strand of science instead of all of them). Another modification could be relating to the written expectations...the lower students could write less, be scribed for, or do oral tests. I have several students who (when I write their IEPs in the next few weeks) will be working on modified grade level expectations in Science, Geography and History. Their report cards will state that this.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 17, 2006

Do you have an aide or a special education teacher work with these students? They should have someone in your class providing small group instruction. Terry G.

8. nicolek

nicolek Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

unfortunately there will be no aide this year in my room.

So Mrs. C, for science 8 you recommend that the modified students learn the same units (optics, cells and systems, fluids and dynamics, and water systems on earth) just at a modified level? I know I can give them extra time, less questions, different texts etc, but those would all be clsssified as adaptations. So does the modified part of the program come into effect when I am looking at the learning outcomes of each unit?

For example with optics here are the learning outcomes :
    C1 demonstrate knowledge of the behaviour of waves
    C2 explain the properties of visible light
    C3 compare visible light to other types of electromagnetic radiation
    C4 explain how human vision works

So the modified kids would not be expected to master all of these skills? Or do I just modify each learning outcome and expect the modified kids to understand the learning outcomes at a different level than the non modified kids (ie less detail etc)?

I can not remember what their IEP's from last year said, but will they just say "working at a grade 4 level in science"? Or will it say more specifically HOW I am meant to teach them ("working on a modified grade 8 science program")...or is that all up to me?

Thank you so much...I knwo I can get a lot of these answers tomorrow (monday), but it is nagging at me now!

Thanks!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2006

For my students (I can only speak from my experience) I may choose to have them work only on one expectation, for example:
    C4 explain how human vision works.

On the IEP I would list this as the Science expectation for this unit of study. My report card comment would read:
    "The mark in Science is based on the expectation of the IEP which vary from grade level expectations. Sally is working on a grade 8 modified program in Science. " Then I would report on the achievement of the expectation.

I know that things vary from province to province, but this is what I will do for my students.

10. nicolek

nicolek Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

ok thank you! You have been a huge help!