Teaching a mini lesson tomorrow! help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ssteachernyc, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ssteachernyc

ssteachernyc New Member

Oct 3, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm a newly certified teacher and have been applying for jobs this summer/fall. I have recently got a call to interview for a High School and have been asked to prepare a 10 minute mini lesson for an interview tomorrow on a topic of my choice. Although I went through a year of student teaching, presented lessons in front of my professors and a department chair I am extremely nervous/stressed! I can really use some feedback/suggestions to help ease my anxiety.

All mini lesson's I have experience with are meant to introduce the subject that my students will be focusing more on in groups (during the activity part of the lesson). However my mini lessons really consisted of a 10 minute lecture / asking "why" / critical thinking questions.

Here is a sample of my 10 minute mini lesson for tomorrow:

1) What is a Cold War?
    2) What is a world superpower?

While the committee acting as students answer those questions, I plan on writing my notes on the board (or should I prepare a powerpoint? although they did not specify what technology would be present). I feel I should be done with my notes in a maximum of 2-3 minutes, where I then begin my lecture. During the lecture I have two questions consisting of "Why did the USSR/US emerge as world superpowers?" & "What benefits would a country gain by having economic,political & military influence in the global community(then scaffolding answers). Afterward, I plan on explaining the students will be breaking into groups, analyzing the secondary source document, answering the questions and then we will go over them as a class. Then handing out copies of the document to the hiring committee, concluding my 10 minute mini lesson.

Although this is the mini lesson of a lesson I presented to an AP who was impressed, I am very worried that the hiring committee will be turned off by my mini lesson "lecture" as it does not show many components of differentiated instruction or include the students (despite the 4 questions total). The only way I can "grasp" my students attention is by using my charisma, but I have a feeling I may slip up a few times due to my nerves... Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I use the document meant for the activity as my mini lesson instead?

Thanks again for your help!

3. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Oct 3, 2011

I wouldn't do this. Two reasons.

1) As someone who student taught social studies, I can tell you that there is no way you will be able to fit that into 10 minutes. Depending on how the students respond to you, it might take 10 minutes just to get them ready for group work. (Also, what will the students be doing while you write your notes?)

2) Most interviewers will not want to see straight-up lecturing. It's seen as a cop-out (trust me, I went on enough interviews to come away with this). Unless you are a very good lecturer, the students may tune you out.

My suggestion? Have the students do the work. Walk them through an activity or a quick simulation, and then ask a few probing questions at the end. The students will be engaged (and you can show off your excellent management skills! ;-)) and it will be something different, maybe even memorable! If you do have the use of technology you might be able to find a java-based web game to augment your activity.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2011

I'm not sure I follow the progression of your class. (Though I must admit, math classes probably flow differently from other more lecture-oriented classes.)

You say you should be done with your notes in 2 or 3 minutes. does that mean you plan to just have them copy a series of notes from the board or the powerpoint? Otherwise, I would think the notes would be part of what they were doing throughout the class.

Here's what I think I would do: describe the President Reagan speech where he demands "Mr. Gorbachev, TEAR THAT WALL DOWN!!!" and talk about why the wall existed and what it meant. Maybe do an activity where you "build a wall" between rows 2 and 3, and declare that no one can cross that line. Does your friend on the other side have your book? tough. Is your significant other on the wrong side of the wall? Tough. Talk about the Berlin Wall and how it was the symbol of that Cold War.

Or start with Billy Joel's "We didn't Start the Fire" and talk about the line "Bay of Pigs Invasion." They've probably heard that song a billion times and never known what the words meant.

Or, maybe better yet, talk about last month's preparation for Hurricane Irene. We took our boats out of the water, put in all the lawn furniture, stocked up on canned goods and water. Then compare them to the bomb shelters people were building in their basements after the Cuban Missile Crisis. One was an enemy we could see on radar and prepare for, the other was an enemy we could see across the water and were terrified of. Show them a map, and show them just how close Cuba is to Miami, and show them exactly why people were so afraid. It was war... without a shot being fired. You can talk about how terrifed we all were that WWIII would be the end of humanity.

I think that 10 minutes is just enough to reallyl get across the idea of WHY it was a Cold War, and the horrible implications of it.

If you have access to a laptop and can get internet access, I be you can get the clip of Khruchev shapping his shoe on the table at the UN. http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1843506_1843505_1843496,00.html

5. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Oct 3, 2011

I would do the student activity as opposed to the lecture. They want to see if you can engage the students.

6. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Oct 5, 2011

How did it go?

7. tinat70

tinat70 Rookie

Jul 11, 2014

help with my my 12 minute lesson

Hi
    I am trying write a lesson plan and prepare 12 minute of English or ELA lesson for my Interview...any ideas what I can do? I appreciate it. Thanks.

8. tinat70

tinat70 Rookie

Jul 11, 2014

re your SS lesson

that's right. I agree. it is important to start quickly with a short introduction, explaining a concept, or the quick lesson and give the "students" assignments or tasks. They should do group work or I would have them pair up, discuss quickly with a student next to them..give answers , review, and conclusion. I would really pay attention to the time and practice this short lesson.
    Mine is suppose to be 12 minutes...I am still not sure what I must do...in English or ELA...should I do it at Middle School or High School grades? Any ideas? thanks.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2014

This might receive more responses if you started a new thread rather than tacking on the end of a three year old discussion.:2cents:

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2014

Welcome to A to Z! It's always great to see new members join us! This forum is very helpful and filled with kind and helpful people. It can seem a little difficult to navigate but starting a new thread is really pretty easy. Go to the DISCUSS tab and then click on the category for where you want to post your new thread. You get to give it a title and start it out. You will get many replies right away this way. Posting on this thread might not work best since it is an old thread that died out already. You will be amazed at how many people will reply with helpful suggestions to your inquiry. Welcome again!:welcome: