Teaching a K/1st combo class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by I <3 OWLs, Jun 19, 2015.

1. I <3 OWLs

I <3 OWLs New Member

Jun 19, 2015

I just found out that I will be teaching a K/1st grade combo class in the fall. I did this for half a year before, and am not afraid to admit that it needed to go better. That said, I am having difficulty figuring out exactly how to fix it. The biggest problem was how dependent the kinders are. I am reading the Daily 5 book, I think that might help to get them working independently. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, last time I taught the curriculum as if they were separate classes. It was a planning & time management nightmare. I am thinking about doing the large group instruction to the first grade material and doing small groups by ability. The good thing is there are only 10 kids right now (7 1st & 3 K), and I had six of the firsties last year, so I know them well.
    Anyone ever teach this kind of class? Have any suggestions?

3. Kteacher11

Kteacher11 Rookie

Jun 22, 2015

I've taught Kinder and first and know how much of a range (academically, socially) can be seen in students at that age. A lot of content overlaps in K/1, so I would try to teach whole group material when possible and then differentiate through conferencing and small group instruction, like through guided reading and guided math groups. I'm excited for the opportunity you have in being able to truly assess where students are on any given developmental continuum and teach them the skills they need. Good luck!

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 22, 2015

I teach Transitional first.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 22, 2015

I truly believe that K/1 is the most difficult combo class to teach.

Last year, we had a K/1 combo at my site and that teacher's car was always the last one in the parking lot each evening. She is transferring to another site for the upcoming school year in order to get out of the combo class. I truly don't blame her. Plus, her class had a revolving door. In late February, she got a kindergartener who'd never stepped foot in a school before! He was like a feral cat! :(