Teaching a 2/3 Split

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by theteacherinme, Jul 5, 2010.

1. theteacherinme

theteacherinme Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

Hello! I am teaching a 2/3 combination classroom next year. I will have about 14 second graders and 10 third graders. I've taught 3rd grade for some years now, but I've never taught 2nd. I do math workshop, reading workshop, and writing workshop. I am easily able to differentiate my instruction since I teach this way...so that's a plus! Any tips for teaching 2nd grade? Any tips for teaching a split? Also, any tips for dealing with parents? I know that some parents are hesitant about their kids being in split classrooms. I am so excited to try something new and challenging!!! :cool:

Oh, and also...I might be pregnant! :) Meaning, I might have to leave 2 months of the school year! :eek: I have been trying to get pregnant, and will be super excited if I am...but I know that some parents will be unhappy about their kids in a split, and if the teacher has to leave! :confused: Advice??

3. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jul 6, 2010

Well I'm not sure about teaching 2/3 combo,but I thought you taught based on ability and not the grade level. Some 2nd graders may be able to do 3rd grade work and you may have 3rd graders who are on a 2nd grade level or even lower. You can continue to reading, math and writing workshops, 2nd graders are able to do workshops and ALL the students would benefit from them.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

I use the Daily 5 and it allows for all abilities at the same time.