Teaching 4th!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Jun 30, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 30, 2014

Hi!

I was just hired today to teach fourth grade! I'm super excited!

I've been mostly teaching primary grades lately, so a lot of what I've learned has to do with teaching kids to read (phonics and such) and basic number skills, and classroom management has been mostly geared for young kids too. Any great resources to recommend or programs to check out for teaching intermediate grades? Classroom management systems to learn about? Ways of operating literacy instruction - I'm thinking Daily 5 is probably too "young" for this age group? I'm not totally unprepared, just an information lover. I have a lot of great ideas but would also appreciate any tips or starting points on what I should be studying up on.

Thanks!

:love:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 30, 2014

Congrats! Fourth grade is a blast. You'll love it.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2014

Daily 5 can be modified for this age group and works well.

Each time I have taught 4th grade, writing instruction has been a big component. You might want to check Nevada standards and see which tests you will be preparing your students for.

Are you going to be able to move early enough to spend some time checking out the school and see what your resources are?

5. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 1, 2014

Congrats!! I,too, am moving to 4th. At least, I am looping with many of my 3rd grade students,so I'll know students and families!! It will be a new experience for me,but both daughters teach 4th so I'll probably have more things I could do than time permits. Good luck.

6. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

4th grade

I taught 4th grade in northern nevada this year, and it was a requirement that we use Daily 5 k-4. I love daily 5, and will say with some adjustments it worked great in 4th grade.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 1, 2014

Congrats!

8. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jul 1, 2014

Daily 5 works well with this age group if they are trained right. They enjoy being more independent!

Congrats!

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 1, 2014

Thanks! I will give daily 5 some more thought then.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 1, 2014

Should I still put my collection of picture books and easy readers in the library, along with higher level books? I need to get a lot more chapter books.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 1, 2014

I would. You never know the level of readers you might have in your class.

I also wouldn't go crazy purchasing books yet I would wait to see what's in your classroom, their might already be tons in there!

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2014

I use a variation of the Daily 5 with 3rd and would think it would work well as part of a Reader's Workshop in 4th. I LOVE teaching math as a math workshop. You'll still be able to do lots of small group work and they enjoy read aloud. Don't hesitate to do a group time and read aloud just because they are older. Have fun with your new adventure.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2014

You're definitely going to want to keep picture books for read alouds. I would keep the easy readers closeby too, I've had struggling readers in 4th before that needed those books. Chapter books are definitely important. I would see if you could get some gently used ones at flea markets or library sales this summer.

14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 2, 2014

Thank you everyone for the information!

Bunnie, this is smart advice. It will be hard for me to not buy books, but I think that it is a good idea, especially since I'm packing up my stuff to move down there. :)