Teaching 4 classes of 3rd grade Reading

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lbradley1718, Jul 26, 2012.

1. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

So, I found out today that instead of teaching 3 d grade Reading/Social Studies to 2 classes...I only teach Reading. 4 classes that total 100-105 students. I really wasn't expecting this, but Im okay with it. I will teach four 1hr 10 min classes. I only teach Reading, there is another teacher that teacher language arts, writing, and spelling.

There are 6 teachers on the third grade team. 2 are bilingual (they do their own thing ) and of the four other teachers one teaches Reading, one teaches Math, one teaches Science and Social Studies, and the last one teaches Lang Arts, Writing, and Spelling.

Does anyone else's school do it this way?

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 26, 2012

I think our 5th grade teachers will be doing something similar. Reading is not my favorite subject to teach, so I couldn't imagine doing it, but the 5th grade teacher who is doing it is really excited. I don't know how I would keep up with all of the reading groups!

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 26, 2012

I would LOVE to be a 3rd grade math teacher. Everywhere I've ever been, 3rd grade is self-contained.

Reading would kill me. Good luck!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

The school I did my student teaching in had their 3rd grade teachers paired up. One taught ELA/Reading. The other taught Math/Science/SS. Everywhere else has been self contained.

6. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

I haven't heard of it, but I've only taught at two schools, so my experience of what other schools do it kind of limited. I think it would be nice to be able to focus on one subject area. I get to this year, and I'm excited!

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 26, 2012

I did this one year, but with 4th and 5th grades. My best advice is to be very, very, organized. If you are doing guided reading, see if you have some of the same levels in the different classes and double up the lesson plans (for chapter books, class one can switch with class 2 when they finish, etc.) I had 16 different reading groups the year I did this, so I planned 18 lessons a day between mini-lessons for both grades, plus the guided reading lesson plans!

8. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

I teach third grade. I teach science, reading, grammar, and writing in 2h and 25 min. (1 hr 40 min spent on ELA, 45 mins spent on science).

My partner teaches math, social studies, handwriting, and spelling. She would probably teach grammar, instead of me, if not for the fact that she has a Title I math session that takes up 30 mins of her day, 3 days a week. She spends 1h 30 min on math most days, 45 mins on social studies, and 10 minutes on spelling (handwriting and more when she doesn't have title I).

Our 4th and 5th grades are totally departmentalized. They teach writing and grammar/spelling to their own homeroom for 45 mins/daily. Other than that, they all teach two fourth grade classes and two fifth grade classes for 50 minutes each. So it looks like this:

Teacher A: 4th grade math x 2, 5th grade math x 2
    Teacher B: 4th grade science x 2, 5th grade science x 2
    Teacher C: 4th grade reading x 2, 5th grade reading x 2
    Teacher D: 4th grade SS x 2, 5th grade SS x 2

9. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

Our school is going departmentalized K-5...we've been team teaching in 3 & 4th for the past 2 years, and 5th has been departmentalized for a while. We are going to be doing blended learning so our kids will have 90 minutes in the computer lab working on certain skills, then 90 minutes with each of 3 other teachers. So I'm teaching only 4th grade Math...so I'll have 100 students names to learn!

10. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 27, 2012

Last year I taught 3rd grade writing and science. I had two partners, one taught math and spelling and the other taught reading and social studies.

This year I am teaching 5th grade writing and social studies. I am on a four-way split with the other three teachers each teaching one subject each (math, reading, and science). We also have a three-way split on our team. Those teachers will each plan/teach math, reading, or science and then take my writing and social studies plans to teach to their homeroom.

11. richardlousi

richardlousi New Member

Jul 27, 2012

answers to teacher interview questions

What have been your most positive teaching experiences?

12. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

Thanks for you're responses! So now I know it's not just my school. I'm used to third graders only having 2 teachers... So I was in completely puzzled when my P told me I would be teaching 4 classes.

If it was Math I would be psyched about it! But reading is last on subject preference list. :( It just always seems so boring... Ill get over it soon. I'm gonna try to make it fun by using the smart board a lot!

13. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 28, 2012

Do you do Daily Five or Cafe?

14. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

Im considering it. I ordered the Daily 5 Book...Im waiting on it. Do you use it?

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2012

I color-coded my classes to help me stay organized. Keeping all that reading material is going to keep you on your toes.

16. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 28, 2012

I am following some on-line book studies for both books. I am implementing it this fall, and we are switching our weekly schedule from Mon. to Fri. (intro new story and skills on Mon., test Fri.) to a Wed. to Tuesday cycle due to teaching time and classroom schedules.....lots of changes but I am psyched!

I like color coding, that will help.

How will your classes be organized? Will they be ability grouped or a mix of levels? Do you have to use basal series or can you use novels and literature circles to cover the standards?

Just be very familiar with the standards, and maybe consider using non-fiction resources to support the science and social studies curriculum.

I think having only one area to focus on might be easier! :unsure:

17. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

I wonder how daily five will work for me since my classes are only 1hr 10min long. The classes are pretty much ability grouped. I will have 1 GIfted and talented class, 1 English as a second language class, and 2 regular classes.

18. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 28, 2012

That might be tricky...maybe, weekly five?

19. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

That sounds good! Thanks! I'm currently looking at the book now. I went ahead and bought the iBook version and I've skimmed throughout some of it this evening. I think I may let them do "weekly 5" 20 minutes per day and spend the other 40 minutes doing whole group instruction. I only said 40 minutes instead of 50 because I figure I'll use 5 minutes at the beginning of class completing a bell work activity and the last five minutes writing homework in their Agenda books, turning in work , and wrapping up.