Teaching 4 & 5s With No Printables- Help

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by isabunny, Feb 18, 2011.

1. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 18, 2011

I have been on this sight many times over the last couple of months and appreciate all the ideas and information. I am a new Pre-K teacher. I was just hired (January) as a lead Pre-K teacher for those students that will be going to Kinder this year. I have three page lesson plans daily with daily information sheets for parents stating exactly what the students did that day, what they ate, if they napped, and a memorable moment from their day.

I bought many curriculum books that were recommended from many of you to help plan my lessons. I have been using them like crazy. I have mostly Kindergarten experience, so know what these kids need to learn before the beginning of the school year. I have few resources to use in my classroom. My problem is that I was told I may not use any printed type material in the classroom (not even for art projects). I had been printing images from the internet to use as collages (like all types of red things for a red collage). I have asked parents to bring in magazines, but don't have any yet. I also have done food groups pictures and made food groupings/graphing. All the printed material I have been using is very hands on/active materials. I just don't know how to come up with all that curriculum without ever using any printable material. Another example is an image I printed of a real human heart, so the kids could see what it looks like. I think most of us are visual learners, so I like to include visuals to many lessons. Many of the preschool curriculum guides use some type of printables (like puppets for The Little Red Hen or sorting Dinosaurs sheets).

So I could really use lots of ideas of curriculum guides I might be able to buy that are theme related, but don't use any type of printed materials. If you have any resources I would appreciate it greatly. Especially resources for printing, counting, alphabet recognition, number recognition, ect... Those skills needed for Kinder without using any printed material to teach the students. Thanks!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 18, 2011

Many years ago when I made the change to an emergent classroom I found that where I thought my group would go on copy day wasn't related to where we actually went. It is rare that I use printed material now. I don't think it is evil, and to be honest we do have workbooks for each child at nap the summer right before Kinder entry. We are a mixed age, multi year, full year, full day program.

When we are making a human heart picture, which we have done, we may:
    read about it,
    jump the same number of times as a dice roll,
    feel our heart beat increase
    do some other actions,
    feel our heart beat increase,
    check out pictures of hearts that aren't valetine-ish
    then make either playdo models or paint or tissue collages that won't look super similar to the book but will help us retain the information.

Then make a bulletion board of the pictures with words and pictures to tell our parents what we did, and tell us what we did...including our reference poster picture that I may have copied for posting at the art or science table.

The good thing about going copy-free was that it made me able to turn on a dime when the children were ready to move on.

Did any of that help?

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 18, 2011

isa, It might be easier to plan if you have a list of goals and/or outcomes. There are standards all over the internet. Look for one that fits in with your school's needs. Many talk about academics, but most are related to skill development.

For instance, Pre-Writing might have goals:
    1. Children can use a pencil to create shapes.
    2. Children can hold a pencil properly.

...so you have to have activities to support this development.
    Some of those activities might be:
    1. Fingerpainting
    2. Using ice tongs to fill muffin tins with cotton balls.

I find a curriculum can be self driven by having some goals in mind.

I am not sure that answers your question, so please keep asking as we love to help.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 18, 2011

Using not copies means no worksheets to me. Is that what your director means. I would really need to use printed material to teach.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 18, 2011

Wa, I think you and I should put on a workshop for PS teachers.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

Yep, I think that often!! We aren't all that far apart are we? Just like 700 diagional miles across a mountain range.....meh....how hard can that be?

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2011

I'd be up for the drive to meet you both. It sounds like you are both inspiring teachers.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

As far as pictures and items for the kids to cut for collages, call your local paper and ask for the ad inserts from older papers. Most papers will give you these and they are full of items that the kids know.

I think you are on the right track. Another thing is ask parents of older children. I donate toys my children have outgrown to the school. My own personal library is books that I bought for my children.

Play is the most important thing you can give for a four year old. I also understand that most parents want to see product. They want to see something that their child produced. I think journals are great. Who says kids have to write in them?

Good luck!

10. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

The director means no printed material at all. I do understand all the different methods of teaching, and do believe that children do learn through play (center activities). But I also believe that as a teacher you should use whatever tools you have, every single day! Most of my students are at this school 10-12 hours a day. Each child is different and learns through different methods. I need to be able to keep the students engaged and excited. Most of what we read throughout life is printed materials, not hand written notes. Anyway, no need to argue about teaching methods and philosophies, I just need to get through my days and try to do the best job I can with limited materials. The methods of teaching I used as a student teacher lead me to getting the highest marks and evaluations. Now I feel like a carpenter with very few tools. Can anyone recommend any websites or books that don't use printed materials? I do lots of making playdough in the color of the month, creative art projects, music activities, reading books (of course I am allowed books), dancing, ect... I just need to really know how to teach those basics without printed materials and some resources I can use to help plan. Thank You!!!

11. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

Thanks! I will use newspapers for collages. What a great idea. I have sent notes home to parents asking for magazines, older toys, costumes, toilet paper tubes, ect... Few have sent in items. I spent my whole first (& second) paycheck on materials for the class and just can't spend anymore. I also have older kids of my own and have raided their costumes, books and old toys. I even brought in a computer (the one that was in the classroom was broken). There are a couple of really rough kids in my class and everyday the items I have brought in get broken. How a child can break hotwheels and dumptrucks, I don't know! I also have a student who tears pages out of books. It is a little hard to watch the toys & books I brought in be broken. Thinking about taking many of the books I brought in home.

Thanks for the newspaper idea. I will go out and buy a couple of Sunday papers (too bad they aren't all in color). Always trying to match the themes with curriculum. Half of my curriculum has to be driven by the current theme.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

Quit buying stuff...go to Walmart, Target, and other stores and get their sale ads. Take ten or so from each place you go through each day. Ask McDonalds for a printed menu...they have them for vision impaired customers. There are free things out there if you just think about it. The local grocery store will give you meat trays for painting, sacks for puppets, and boxes to build with...visit the local post office and talk to them, they have all those free papers that they throw away each week. Call a local real estate agent, that is where I have gotten some of my best "finds"...they gave me copies of ads that had pictures of houses on them, recycled paper for art, I even got old signs that we painted. If you go to the vet, ask if they have magazines that they give to their customers and can you have a few extra--most drug and animal food companies give vets freebies like this that advertise their products and have great colored pictures in them.

Freecycle is great also. It is through yahoo groups. I have gotten so much from it. I have legos of all sizes, train sets, cars, blocks, and even a Madeline doll house with furniture and six dolls from one ad on freecycle. Please don't spend anymore money. And let me know if you want to do something, I am the queen of getting free stuff for my classroom.

13. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

Of course! I am always up for any ideas. I did do the exercise bit and feeling our heart beats. Kids loved it. But they also were so intrigued by the photo (illustration) of the real heart. I could see the cogs turning in their heads! I held up the picture and asked them what they thought it was. They had very funny answers, but one did say it was part of our body. We had been making projects out of valentine hearts the last couple of weeks, so the real heart picture was really fun to show them. I was told no copies could be used in the classroom. Of course I could find a book at the library with a picture in it, but bringing library books to the class has been questionable. I checked out books this last month and I found one tore. I put them up, but others use my classroom after I leave.
    Copy-free can be freeing, but not if you have to plan detailed lesson plans a month in advance. If I was planning week to week I could really change up the curriculum as the children lead. But with daily activity reports (written a month in advance), and filled out individually for each child, it turns out to add a load of work to the end of the day to rewrite everything. I brought this up to my director when I was first employed. I asked her how we could plan so detailed so far in advance when the classroom is very fluid. As a teacher you know some days you get through curriculum quickly and go ahead to the next day or so, while other days you cannot get through much (potty accidents, spills, sick kids, sleepy kids, ect..). So much happens and changes through the course of your day with small children. So I do like to work more fluidly throughout the day, but just can't in the environment which I work. I feel like everything on that daily sheet has to be done according to plan, or the parents will be asking why the activity was written on the sheet and not accomplished. Thanks for the ideas!

14. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

I guess I'm having a difficult time understanding the concept of not using "printed materials." I'm taking this to mean not using worksheets?!

We use printed materials all the time in my Head Start program.

charts (purchased and created with children)
    vocabulary words with pictures (must)
    alphabet charts and number charts
    visual representations of recipes for the children to follow
    visual representation of sequencing activities
    class rules include pictures
    calendar
    attendance chart includes name and picture
    weather chart
    emotions picture chart
    pictures to help increase vocabulary
    environmental print throughout the room
    poster/pictures throughout the room

Are you having a hard time coming up with activities using just what you have on hand? If so, give us an idea of what materials you do have in your classroom and your themes/projects and we can give you some ideas on how to use the materials.

15. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

I would have to see your detailed plan to really understand what you are being asked to do.

Our teachers do a general, detailed lesson plan and individualize for each child. The part on individualization is included on the lesson plan. They choose one goal for each child to focus on from their observations, screenings, assessments, or parent identified child goals. They provide an activity during the week that would help the child to develop the skill and/or concept. Some children share the same goal.

We have a pre-planned curriculum which teachers can add to but, they have to follow the scope and sequence of the purchased curriculum.

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

Just as a way to find out what we are talking about.....are you allowed to read books? As long as you can read, the posters and reference materials can (and there are many arguments that say they are more pertanent to the children if they are) hand made in front of the children.

17. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Feb 19, 2011

Blue and Wa -- I'd travel to do a workshop with you guys! Let us know the date and place.

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

I agree, I think we could help more if we understood more of exactly what the director was asking of you. I agree that being tied to a month out lesson plan has it's issues. I have to say when I went copy free I also was headed to emergent theory. This allowed me to BACK PLAN. SUPER solution by the way!

Ok, so are we detailing every second of the day? I get the half of the day is tied to the theme. In my 10 hr full year day we have more than half tied tot he theme even including what we eat on many days.

It isn't that we don't get it, it is that we don't live with your director. For what you have to live with we can only reference your few posts. Just try not to beat yourself up, you were given top marks - you will learn to adapt to this new world.

Challenges like this will only help you design an even better you. Try not to let your mind close, an open mind is the best asset one can have, and one of the most difficult to acheive.

Now as far as how to keep your tough classroom from harming the library books. Take you next box from the Wholesale store and Mark it clearly "TEACHER BOOKS PLEASE DO NOT HAND DIRECTLY TO A STUDENT". Place the library books in here and hope that they stay. Then use them when you are in the room, place them in the box when you leave. If they still come out then take the box with you when you leave. As for your toys that are getting broken while working on behaviors you could do the same thing. Take them with you when you leave. However, this isn't a solution forever. The goal would be to use your teaching skills to work on behaviors.

I am surprised that your printed material rule allows newspaper and magazines? If it does, then that is super! Sounds like you just aren't allowed to use worksheets. I have that down!!!!!!

Post your lesson plan specifics and your upcoming themes and we will be happy to help. Just remember when you wish you could use a worksheet let the children create. The cogs you saw moving could have moved in the "make an image that will help you remember this page in the book" poster making aspect. The visual learners still are learning from the book, and the kinetic learners are being left out. You really can do it......honest.

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

For our color collages we took the scraps from toys (the lost Barbie shoe) the odds and ends from the craft cupboard (straws, beads, feathers and so on) and made the red poster from red flower petals (fake so colorfast), straws, blocks and so on). It isn't only you.

20. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

Ok, all that said. I seem over board now. We do use books, posters, Let's Find Out Magazines, we cut old greeting cards, we use old magazines, we use posters that are premade.

However, there are plenty of articles in NAEYC ( I reallyd on't know how to do hyperlinks.....but they are there....honest) that state that when the children use their own knowledge to make the poster for classroom reference even for the visual learner it lasts longer. They own it more and the poster is less passive. Do I totally agree? Meh?

21. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Feb 19, 2011

Why did the director make this change? Why did she say no printed material? Were you making copies at school and she didn't want the expense? Were other teachers bummed they didn't have what you had? Is it a teaching philosophy? Can you have handmade materials?

Some examples of specific teaching --
    I teach letter sounds by sorting objects or pictures of objects. If you can have magazine pictures or drawings this could still work for you.

I write the kids' names on index cards and they trace or copy them. We do this most mornings first thing as they come into the classroom. Because it's as the kids come in I am often able to give 1 on 1 instruction in letter formation to some kids everyday. Over the week I get to everybody at least once or twice. The kids put a date stamp on the cards. This also becomes a way of tracking progress.

I can use the card idea and, instead of names, use other words, numbers, shapes.

I have a white board easel that I use to write a Morning Message. We use the message to find letters, words, rhymes, etc. I write it with activities in mind.

I use 2 piece rhyming puzzles at circle -- each child get's a piece and they have to find their match. We do the same with opposites and go-together puzzles.

All that said -- I do use printed materials for activities I keep on the shelf. We have what we call Shelf Time -- what others might call Free Play. The kids can pick and choose, and the choices include activities on the shelves. I print a lot of things from the web that support our them and concepts we're working on. I do all of the color printing at home and at my own expense. I do black and white printing at school. Over the past weeks these included graphs for graph conversation hearts, grid games, initial sound sorting, letter matching in various ways, and a heart for the kids to use with a punch.

I'm going on and on -- sorry. Hope something is helpful.

22. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

Miller, you could come present at the training! Come on over!

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2011

Why are newspapers and magazines not considered printed materials? I don't see the difference between your kids using pictures from a magazine versus pics you printed from online?

24. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Feb 19, 2011

Wa -- I take that as high praise! Thanks. I've been on such a learning curve over the past year it's nice to feel I've gained a few skills.

25. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

The index card idea is great and the white board message. I will add those to my classroom right away. Just what I was looking for! We can use magazines and newspapers (but not for artwork that we would hang in the classroom). I didn't really see a difference from items printed online, vs those in magazines either, but I was told I couldn't do it. I love to do collages and it is a great way to fit in with the themes (healthy smile collage, letter of the week collages, color collages). I would print items from the web and let the kids use them, but I won't be able to do that anymore. I don't think it is an expense problem, it is a corporate rule. I work at one of the big chain preschool/daycare centers. They just don't want any dittos, copies or worksheet type products. But this chain (or maybe just our center) doesn't provide any curriculum for us to use, just the themes. I wish they did have approved curriculum books for us to use. It would make knowing what is approved or disapproved much easier. I personally feel like many of the activities sheets that are made for preschoolers are all hands on, game type printables (mini-books, sorting games, dot to dots, putting items in the correct order of events, ect...) I can only use these type of materials if I laminate them and the students use expo markers. This is OK, but then the parents don't get to see what is being done in the classroom and they ask why no work is coming home. I also do lots of games that I make myself from printed materials: matching uppercase to lower case letters, make a match with theme related items, making puzzles out of cereal boxes or pictures of our theme. Some of these things are approved. Hard to work with so many rules and regulations. Thanks for the ideas.

26. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

Yes that is what I thought also, so I still used printed web materials for collages and graphing projects. This last week I found a great project for healthy eating. You make a Big Mouth Box (looks like a box with a face) and feed the mouth healthy foods. I printed all the foods items from the web and let the kids choose which foods to feed Mr. Big Mouth. I think I should still be able to do this. But I also printed food group items (from a curriculum sparks book) and had the kids make their own food group charts for the food groups. We hung these in our Housekeeping center. Like I said I like to use printed materials for charts and graphs that the kids make. Hanging them on the wall reinforces what they have learned and they love to go back over what we had done in class. I was taught in school to keep layering information to build schema. I only use printables/printed materials from the web to reinforce skills or build information. It is of course ok to use books. I have lots of books, but don't always have something to match the theme.

27. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

I would usually plan just as you have said, with the standard or skill first and then find the activity to meet that goal. But I have been going through, just trying to find materials that meet the themes and planning based on theme, not goal. One of you had asked me to post my lesson planning and daily sheets online, but I feel I could get in trouble by posting those things. I work at one of the preschool/daycare chains. We have to sign non-disclosure agreements. In one of my first threads I stated what center chain I work at, but after I thought about it, I probably shouldn't have! Sorry. I would love to get more help with the actual curriculum planning (form filling out). I feel like the forms are not set-up to help the teacher plan their day. I would rather plan traditionally using a time of the day based approach. Many of the problems I am having probably are center specific. Thanks for all the comments! I am getting lots of great ideas. I just looked at the free listings on craigslist and found someone who wants to get rid of magazines. Hadn't thought of that before one of you recommended it! Thanks!

28. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

It was me who asked for the lesson plan. I didn't occur to me that it would be a "market-able" item...since we are all planning. However, I am sure you are right, and I hope that you don't get in trouble for things you have written here.

I think you are right, you are just feeling a settling in time. Perhaps if the parents asking what you are doing during the day is troubling you now that you can't send work home you could do what other's here have done and start a room blog (however, be careful and only use professional speak) or make a photo book during a lesson of what you are doing and how it working toward learning goals so that the parents can check it out. Then as you are adjusting to the director/chain style you can not have to worry about the parents asking why no work is going home....they will see it there...in the book or on the bboard. I have seen these in programs, and run one myself for parents. It solves the problem just wonderfully for me. You are right it does limit what goes home.

We have the healthy eating type games like you were discribing above, we just feed the head toy food that is usually sent with toy kitchens.

What is your next theme? How do you still need help?

29. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

What type of work goes home anyway?

30. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Feb 20, 2011

What materials do you currently have?

I'd like to know your themes for the remaining year and also what materials you have based on learning centers in your room? We can help you to plan activities based on your theme and materials you have.

I love curriculum planning! :)

We have some of the same rules you have in your current program.

Many of us have been doing this for years and we can share where you should invest your precious funds, if you are still spending some of your own money.

I've been where you are, when I first started in the classroom.

31. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2011

I worked in a program where we didn't use any copies, and while it was a bit of a transition at first, ended up LOVING it.

We kept notebooks and cameras with us throughout the day, and jotted down things the kids were saying that showed their learning, and took pictures of activities.

Then we would type up a quick little page with quotes, descriptions, and photos. The parents could read the logs at pick up, and know what was happening in the room.

32. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 20, 2011

Yep, that's what we do! Goes in the files, in the parent book, on report cards (although we don't like that phrase and don't use it with the parent's).

33. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 20, 2011

I really appreciate your willingness to help me! So nice to have support. I am going to email privately the themes so it doesn't give my center away. I think any ideas that are printable free will come in handy. I also would like to try to plan according to standard and then try to fit with the theme (like Blue said). Hard to do with few materials. My room has the basic centers: housekeeping, dramatic play, blocks, science, cognitive skills, computer, library, creative art. I do have materials in each center. My main problem has been to fit what I have with the themes and the standards. So next week is Black History. I don't have many materials (one MLK book). We are going to make "I Have A Dream Clouds" and of course study the book we have available. I am also going to do a hand prints poster centered around peace, love, and compassion. This coming week was a very hard week for me to plan.

34. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 20, 2011

For Black History month I have had hands on activities before. Would you like to see them? Things for sensory table and what not?

35. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 20, 2011

Of course. That would be awesome! I don't have a sensory table, but I have brought in a plastic tub to use for sensory activities.

36. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 20, 2011

Super. I used a tub for years, and now I often run two sensory tables....lest I should give up the tub!

For George Washington Carver was a famous scientist who developed over 300 products that were made using peanuts. I did have a picture posted with his face, but I suppose you could just use his name and leave off the face? Anyway, we counted out 100 peanuts, added some oil, ran the blender and noted that it did look like pb. I believe we tasted it, but at snack I switched it for the regular pb.

2c roasted peanuts
    2tsp oil
    1tsp sugar

was the real reciepe.

Maya Angelou is a famous Black American writer she has written a children's book, autobiographies and poems. I brought in some pictures of her from the backs of the books. She wrote a poem for Clinton's inauguration. So we wrote on of those mad lib, fill in the blank "poems" on a subject related to hers. It was fun, and the parents loved it.

Bebop and Charlie Parker
    Motown
    Michael Jackson

We had a huge dance party and compared the styles of music and instruments. My husband is a musician so at the time this was a topic we were used to. We painted while we listened to some. He found us many genera of music and of course all of the CD's had faces. Ella Jenkins was part of this part of the lesson.

Alfred Cralle invented the ice cream scoop so we had an icecream bar that was supposed to open in the sensory table. but we actually ended up running it in the playdo center. We failed to wet the sand down enough to allow it to go into the scoop and then come out again. And we discovered that sand that is fine would have worked better than our course stuff that had been donated. However, playdo allowed us to still mold the scoop form and then add sprinkles and jimmies with beads. It was a win win. We graphed with scoops, smelled extracts, voted, tabulated and just generally had fun with the ice cream idea for a couple days. Then I made a fruit and milk smoothie that we all drank through straws....no ice cream. Too much sugar for our program. But it was a great lesson. I believe that year it was even still cold enough to talk about freezing for this lesson and so we froze stuff in popscicles forms.

This lesson went on and on that year and we ended up reading Ananzi tales and many other avenues I have long forgotten.

37. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 20, 2011

The peanut projects sound so great, but our school totally nut free! I am a vegan, and it is really hard not to get my daily dose of almonds. I love the Michael Jackson idea. I will run with that. The ice cream table is a great idea. How much fun would that be! I will try to find a book on Alfred Cralle. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

38. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 20, 2011

One book will have several people....but they will be reference from the big kids section most likely....just use the shot of the person. Don't read the book obviously.

39. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 20, 2011

The book would mostly be for me! I like to know exactly what I am teaching about. Of course visuals of the individual and their inventions from the book will be used. Maybe some short facts and figures. What a great idea for the ice cream. Can't wait to add it to curriculum. I will have to make some interesting playdough colors this week!

40. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 20, 2011

We really had a blast with the ice cream scoops once we took it from the sand table to the playdough. The children's museum here used our lesson plan and they did it in the sand table a few years later....it went really well for them. Just remember to get it exactly wet enough.

The ice cream store we ended up with had it's own sign, and aprons and hats and we used beads for jimmies and sprinkles. We had menus we made and so on and so forth! I think it lasted well into the leprechaun season. I was so fun! We were making change and everything by the end! So much fun!

41. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Feb 21, 2011

Other ideas for Black History Month...

Please, PLEASE do an inventors theme. It is much more meaningful to connect AA to important inventions for children since they rarely see this. They get enough exposure to the music and sports legends.

Do a friendship board.
    Check out Teacher Tom
    http://teachertomsblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/love-is-winning.html
    and few other preschool/early education blogs for their incredible ideas related to MLK. Seach the January blogs for other ideas.

Talk about aspects of fairness.

Talk about standing up for what you believe.

Perserverance and persistance are other ideas you can introduce.