Teaching 3rd next year-where do I start?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LMichele, Apr 13, 2014.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Apr 13, 2014

I found out a few weeks ago that I will be moving into the classroom next year I am currently a push-in/pull-out reading intervention teacher, and have used an intervention program purchased by the school, so planning was always taken care of.

I am overwhelmed at where to begin with 3rd grade! I want to get started little by little so that I'm not completely overwhelmed over the summer & next year.

My question is-where can I start? We are purchasing a new math program & don't have the teacher's guides yet. (I'm hoping to have them by the end of the year) I have read through the SS program, but can't plan much until I see how much (or how little) time is given to SS in the schedule next year. Reading is primarily guided reading, and we will assess students at the beginning of the year.

I do have the standards for Math & ELA. Should I begin by making some centers for those subjects that will review 2nd grade material for the beginning of the year? I also have a bunch of books that I want to use for read alouds & mini lessons next year-should I begin with those by creating lessons based on the CC ELA standards?

Help! :dizzy:

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Apr 13, 2014

Personally, I would likely begin with thinking about classroom management, routines, and procedures I would want to have in place to make my classroom run smoothly once all of the curriculum details come together. These are things that I know won't change when the curriculum is put in place. We always have changes to something (Reading block, interventions, schedule, a new way of doing something) when we go back in the fall, but I know my classroom management plan is specific for my room and will help me and my students be successful in the classroom.
    Since you're going to be in 3rd, you definitely could begin working on some centers linked to the standards so that you have them ready when you need them. Will you use interactive notebooks? If so, you can plan the structure and organization of the notebook. There are many things not linked directly to the curriculum that you could do that will help yourself be ready for when you go back.
    I'm not saying this is where you need to start. Just giving some ideas. Best of luck! :)

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2014

I could never plan lessons before the school year starts. Even though we don't have a specific reading program we have units with themes that we have to follow for reading and especially writing. I agree that you should plan or prepare things that don't relate to curriculum. You can start gathering a library and leveling books or focus on stuff that relates to behavior management.

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Apr 14, 2014

I'd love to use interactive notebooks, but I'm not really familiar with them. I guess I can look into that this summer.

6. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Apr 14, 2014

We use TC for writing, so we'll be following that curriculum. For reading I guess I just want to go through my books and pick out which ones can be used for read alouds during minilessons for different standards. My library is already huge from my current positions-I'm close to 1,000 and I still can't stop buying!

I do like the suggestion of starting with management. I'm used to groups of 2-5 students, not 26!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2014

26...Wowza...:eek:

8. janis

janis Companion

Apr 14, 2014

3rd grade is a great, yet pivotal age in el ed. They are still impressionable but are beginning to become independent. I always start with their ability to reply (both verbal and written) in a complete sentence. We always do this day one! Multiplication is another big step, but if I were you, I'd save the biggies (6, 7, 8) until 2nd semester.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Apr 14, 2014

And that is on the small side for NYC!

10. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Apr 14, 2014

We just switched to the Singapore Math program, and they start multiplication in 2nd grade. I'm not sure how high they go up, but I'm sure I will definitely need to review what facts they were taught this year at the beginning of next.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 14, 2014

This is my second year in 3rd... First year 27, second year 28. I'm potentially looking at 31 next year, based on preliminary numbers.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2014

Wow. The most I've ever had was 24 and that was YEARS ago, with an aide. Our class sizes are currently in the 18-21 range.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 14, 2014

18-21 sounds heavenly. Simply heavenly.