Teaching 2nd Grade after 2 Years of 4th/5th

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by km9115, Aug 24, 2009.

1. km9115

km9115 New Member

Aug 24, 2009

Hi! I am teaching 2nd grade after teaching 2 years of 4th/5th math. I've spoken to the other 2nd grade teachers in my school on what to expect, but am still left wondering what surprises await me, since none of them have taught the upper grades.

Has anybody ever switched from 4th or 5th down to second? What changes can I expect?

Thanks in advance!
    KM : )

3. elemtchr

elemtchr Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

I taught 4th for 1 1/2 years and now am in second. You will notice the difference. With these kiddos, there is so much guidance they need. 4th graders generally know how to do things the first time you tell them. Lots of repitition is needed. There is still a lot that they cannot do on their own. On the upside, they each have their own personality which I didn't find too much with the 4th graders. They all have their own quirks, but they are too cute and they will do anything to please you. I'm enjoying it so far, but it will definitely be an adjustment. Good luck to you!

4. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Aug 31, 2009

2nd graders still want to please you. In my experience, by the time they hit 4th grade, they're pretty much over you.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 5, 2009

I taught 5th grade and then moved to 2nd grade last year. It was really hard the first few months for me. The biggest difference for me was having to not assume anything. They think so concretely and literally in second grade! And many of them are very sensitive. I had to tone down my sarcasm a LOT...I also have to be very very specific with instructions and walk around to make sure everyone understands. One good thing is that they are very much teacher pleasers and want you to like them.

If you tell a fifth grader to write about their favorite place to go on vacation, you'll get a couple paragraphs or more. If you tell a second grader the same thing you might get this:

the beach

They need a lot of assistance, but they are great helpers and will love you! I love second grade :)

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 5, 2009

Remember that when you tell them to read "silently" they will all read outloud. They haven't transitioned to silent reading yet.

At the beginning of the year only about half can successfully write on wide rule notebook paper. You are better off starting off with handwriting paper and transitioning to notebook paper.

Don't assume they know which side of the notebook paper goes up, that the holes go on the left, or that the red line means STOP HERE! They don't know it.

They will want to show you and tell you about every little thing they draw, or write, or do. You have to learn how to set limits without hurting their feelings. I often say "I only want questions right now -- not stories!" and if they start giving me a story, I cut them off and say "that is a story -- I only asked for questions." If you let one tell a story, 22 more hands will go shooting up wanting to tell you an incredibly similar story (and about 90% of them probably never happened...;))

When you have them vote, they wait to see how their friend is voting and will put their hand up after you have finished counting. YOu have to be very specific. Vote now! If youre hand isn't raised, it doesn't count. They will often vote twice if you aren't careful. I make them stand up for one option and sit down for the other. Then I can clearly count the votes and it is obvious if somebody changes.