Teaching 101...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iris1001, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Oct 13, 2020

Greetings, all.

So, I'm on the fence about going back to school for a master's in education. As you may already know, I got my teaching certification through the Alternate Route program in New Jersey. I can't think too much about the past, because it's done and over with, but I would have loved to learn more about the profession before being tossed into it.

Maybe I'm just a bit anxious because it feels like I'm a new teacher this year (because of Covid and whatnot), but more than anything, I'd love to become a better teacher. This is my fifth year teaching, and I just want to learn more. I want to better service my students. I need some help with pacing, "do now" activities, differentiation, implementing vocabulary, etc.

I'm worried because I'm not sure if I will be able to afford a second master's. My first master's was from an Ivy League school, and I got it in humanities.

Are there any classes I can take to become a better teacher? Please share with me any good teaching books, resources, etc. I feel like it's not enough to buy lesson plans from "Teachers Pay Teachers." I want to learn how to differentiate my instruction, organize my classroom, manage the students, etc.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2020

I would suggest trying out some free or low cost webinars or PD courses that are available at almost every NJ university. TCNJ has some reasonably priced courses that are essentially weekend courses that address some of the areas you are concerned about. You can pick and choose courses, such as PBS TeacherLine, that never have to end in a second master's degree, but can focus on exactly what you want to learn more about. Adding a TOSD might give you experience in differentiating your lessons, and it is something that doesn't have to become a master's degree. I would recommend, however, really shopping around for a program because they are NOT a one size fits all with the varied universities in NJ. I have, personally, some misgivings with TPT, as far as lesson plans go. There is material that I like, but lesson plans I have tried from TPT don't seem to work for me right out of the box, so I end up having to do so much work to make them successful in my own classroom that I feel it was a waste of money. That may just be me.

Iris1001 likes this.
  4. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Oct 14, 2020

This was immensely helpful. Thank you so much! I will definitely check out TCNJ's PD seminars. :)