Teachind spelling to a sixth grader who never properly learned

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Heavenlybrat926, May 11, 2005.

1. Heavenlybrat926

Heavenlybrat926 Rookie

May 11, 2005

Teaching spelling to a sixth grader who never properly learned

My sister never really was taught so great how to spell and she really cant spell. she can spell basic words but she cant really spell anything else. She tries hard to spund the words out but yet she cant write them down on paper. If I read her writing I feel as if Iam reading a first graders work not a sixth graders. She is a pretty good reader except sometimes she adds words or letters to her sentences, but she will go back and fix it. I really wish I knew what to do for her I started again with the basics like letter sounds but she knows all the letter sounds. I really want to find out what is wrong and why she cant spell. If any one has any ideas that will help her spell, or help me teach her to spell I would be so thankful. I just dont want her going into seventh grade like that. She is not classified under learning dissabled so I dont want her to fail in middle school becasue she cant spell. :( thank you in advance if you have anything to help me.

3. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

May 11, 2005

Some people are just not great spellers. As long as she reads well and understands what she reads, I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure she has good dictionary skills and the use of a spell checker. I've had many really bright students who couldn't spell worth a darn. One of them is about to take her Bar exam! Good luck, and I think it's great that you're looking out for sister!

4. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

May 11, 2005

help with spelling

That's thoughtful of you to help your sister.

I had a lot of trouble spelling partly because of a slight hearing loss. The audiologist said it wasn't bad enough for a hearing aid but it sure played havoc with hearing the differences between letters such as b, d, t, and many others. Then there is also the problem of words which are spelled differently but sound the same.

Spelling with memory cues helped me in elementary school and even now. I created a page of words with memory cues on my site. If visitors want to add some of their suggestions, my email address is listed on that page of the site. Many people have already added suggestions.

I hope this helps.

Betsy
    Learning Abilities Books

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  5. Jaime99

Jaime99 Rookie

May 11, 2005

Yes. Comprehension is paramount. Don't let any well-intentioned teacher discourage your sister by giving her bad grades on spelling (or grammar, even). Some of the best writers and thinkers in the world weren't and aren't the best spellers; that's what editors are for.

Which leads me to believe much harm is done by teachers taking points off for spelling.

I suggest asking some math or science teachers (no stereotypes here ;-)) if spelling is a necessary skill for life. It isn't. It's just another thing that can help.

On the other hand, spelling can be improved, if the speller tries and actually wants to. It won't come naturally, as it does others, but it can happen.

The key, I think, is making some connection with your sister's brain that isn't normally there as she reads. For instance, does she see colors in letters (or sounds)? This is a type of synesthesia and can be used to 'feel out' if a word is spelled right. I often use this skill. Or perhaps other cues can be learned. Ask your teachers and good luck.

6. Heavenlybrat926

Heavenlybrat926 Rookie

May 17, 2005

sometimes even the use of spellchecker on the computer dosent even help her because she spells the words so wrong and the computer has no good suggestions to the words she types that dont even look or sound like the word she wants to type. I will get a sample of her sriting one day and post it and maybe some one can give me suggestions on whats wrong with her spelling. I reallly love her and dont want to see her fail in life, I want her to become a vet like she wants to. please any suggestions would help.