Teachers...

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by corney, Sep 10, 2009.

1. corney

corney Companion

Sep 10, 2009

Am I asking too much for responses back from my childs teachers? I have sent in notes on homework etc. and never get any replies back. It's starting to bother me that I'm not getting any test results or comments about how my child is doing. They use www.thehomeworksite.com to post homework assignments and their test grades. The homework is always updated but the grades haven't been since 8/31.

My daugher is has been labeled specific learning disabled and has an IEP so it's real improtant I know how she is doing and where she needs extra help or if she is improving..

Any suggestions? I'm being told to contact the principle. I just don't want these teachers labeling me a helicopter parent, but my child really struggles.. her education is paramount to me all I want is some feedback.. is that too much to ask??

3. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Sep 10, 2009

What week of school is your daughter in?

I know we're only in our 3rd week and I'm still struggling with all of the paperwork.

We use an online gradebook and I'm one of the few teachers to keep it updated almost daily with homework and test scores. Of course we've only had a few tests thus far and I'm still trying to get some grades for science and social studies.

It could be that not a lot has been graded but the teacher should still have an idea of how your daughter is doing. I try to respond to notes from parents (granted, there have only been a few) within 24 hours. If you're not getting the feedback you'd like to see from your child's teacher, I don't think it's unreasonable to contact the principal. You may want to ask the principal if she knows the best way to get in touch with your child's teacher.

4. corney

corney Companion

Sep 11, 2009

I can understand being a bit unorganized if this is a new year for some teachers, but these (she has two) teachers have been teaching for years.. yes each year brings a whole new cast of characters to the class room but I would think they would have their grading and paper trails organized by now.. maybe I just expect to much..

This is the end of the third week of school.. she has had two spelling tests, two reading tests, a math test that I know of. I've only gotten the results of one spelling and one reading test back.. today there will be more..

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 11, 2009

I think by now she should be able to give you some feedback. Have you emailed her? Called her? Sometimes notes get lost in the shuffle of everyday. Can you stop by after school (try to call first) just for a few minutes?

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2009

I agree to the suggestion that you try to email or call. I have found that with my students with LDs, sometimes notes that I send, or ones that parents send to me, get forgotten about and they are found in backpacks or desks days (or weeks, or months) later.

7. corney

corney Companion

Sep 11, 2009

yes I have emailed both of the teachers and have gotten no responses. I don't have their phone numbers. By the time I get off work the school it locked up tight. One sent a verbal message home with my daughter, she's 8, she can't remember to bring all her homework home, how can it be expected that she get the message to me.

The notes I send in are either stapled to or written on the homework.. I got one reply out of about 10 so far. It's very frustrating.

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 11, 2009

Yes that does sound frustrating. I think you need to be a little firmer now. You seem to have done everything you can think of, and you have done it right. The teachers are slacking. Call the school and ask to speak to one of the teachers. If you don't get a call or email back, I would find time to go in maybe before school. Or I would be calling the Principal. That much of a lack of communication isn't acceptable.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2009

Maybe when you get in touch with the teachers, you can set up a system for communicating. I have a couple of parents that I exchange almost daily notes with using the kids' assignment planners, but you could also use a notebook specifically for that purpose. That way, all the communication could be in one place (especially helpful for looking for trends, etc.). And jotting a note in a notebook would be fairly quick for the teacher. (Or, at least they could say that they saw your note and would get back to you).

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2009

Email the teachers again with a cc to the principal.

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

Which Teachers

are you trying to get in touch with? You said that your child has an IEP. Is it the general ed. teacher(s) or the IEP case manager? I have had parents come to me when they have not been able to reach a gen. ed. teacher and then I get in touch with that teacher if it was in between my typical check in rotation when I was doing resource.

12. corney

corney Companion

Sep 14, 2009

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I'm calling for a meeting with the principle and the teachers, including the IEP case manager, I'm not responses from any of them.