Teacher's working out?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Aug 17, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 17, 2010

Does it cross any professional levels if the teachers and staff get together to work out? They have decided to collect $10 from everyone ever month and whoever losses the most weight by Dec gets to keep that money. I don't have the $ to pay so I wont be participating on that aspect. However, I don't mind working out with them, but I also don't want it crossing any professional levels. I hear about this in the office all the time. I just wanted someone elses feedback.

Sorry if its in the wrong forum, i wasnt sure where to post it.

3. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 17, 2010

A bunch of us are planning together to work out together after school a couple of days a week. One of my co-workers is a certified aerobics instructor, so she's going to lead us in some work outs. I don't see any problem with it. I enjoy spending some time with my co-workers outside of the school setting.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2010

Maybe it depends on your school culture but teachers in general do get together as friends to do stuff often. Here it would be no big deal.

5. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 17, 2010

I think you are right, it does depend on the school. These are women that do hang out (some of them) after school, they go to parties and go drinking together. I, on the other hand, am one of the ones I am never invited. The reason behind inviting us all to participate was for the $$ to have more in the pot. We start next week, its worth a try I guess. I just hope I feel comfortable with them. They are starting a bootcamp right away, so we shall see. I am out of shape!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2010

It's not unprofessional.

7. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 17, 2010

I think its a good idea. The local school district where I live has a partnership with the YMCA for the teachers to do a program similar to "The Biggest Loser."

Its a great way for us who are working on their license or looking for a job to make connections, discuss subbing jobs, class management techniques, etc.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2010

It's funny this thread comes up at this time because I am emailing around to see what teacher wants to go water tubing with me this week. Lol.

9. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2010

I don't think it's unprofessional at all. Most of the time, we spend more time with our co-workers than we do with our own family. The staff at my school are mostly mid 20s-early 40s and we are all friends. We have staff get-togethers outside of school, and even had a professional retreat this past summer, where we stayed at a co-workers cabin. I also think it is good for morale to have relationships outside of school.

10. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 17, 2010

Aren't coworkers supposed to socialize and have fun?

I think the idea is that you don't fraternize with your boss(es), or the people you manage (in your case, the kids). And that's just to make sure everyone is on a level playing field. Kids excluded, I don't see anything wrong with big group fraternizing with the boss.

I've never heard of coworker mingling in any profession to be bad. Now, certain types of mingling and when it's done *I'll assume people know what I'm talking about* are not very professional. I'd also assume that standard work practice is in play -- no socializing well working, aside from quick small talk.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2010

I don't see it as a problem, but you might want to keep it somewhat on the DL.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 17, 2010

There are several of us who get together to work out after school. We don't have any contests or money involved. We just work out. After school we change clothes adn work out. We do pilates, walking, or various workout DVD's.

13. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 17, 2010

I've heard that when it is a competition to see who losses the most and money is involved that you are more likely to lose the weight. However, the flip side is, people can be competitive and bring in doughnuts to share. Not that sweets are entirely bad :lol:

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 17, 2010

We used to do that too. One of the teachers would lead us in aerobics. No one had a problem with it. I actually still have the step in my room! ;)

15. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 17, 2010

I think it is fine. It helps to build a better school community.

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 17, 2010

A bunch of teachers at our school did a "Biggest Loser" club last year. We put in $20 and had monthly prizes based on % of weight loss. A lot of them did boot camp once a week, but I couldn't do that part because I was in grad school at the time. It got me jump started losing weight and I've lost 46 lbs since we did it last January. I say go for it and have fun.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2010

My school has also done a "biggest loser" competition. One of our gym teachers works for Weight Watchers and they actually tried to get a class together for the staff. I've worked out with co-workers in a classroom using a workout dvd afterschool.

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 17, 2010

I met a teacher at the park every day this summer and we walked 4 miles.

Now that we are back in school, at the end of the day we are walking 4 miles inside the school (when it cools off, we'll walk outside). Other people have mentioned wanting to join.

No biggie at my school.

19. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 17, 2010

I don't think there is a problem with teachers getting together after school and do things. However, I don't think it's appropiate to demand or expect everyone to join and even contribute to their adventures.

If someone says to me: "hey, we are going to start a workout club, would you like to join us?" Then I have no problem and I would think it is great to build community.

On the other hand if I'm approached like:: "there will be a workout club and everybody is expected to join and contribute with $10.00". Then I would be very upset and I would consider it unprofessional.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2010

We did a Biggest loser at my last school, and some people would get together once or twice a week and do videos in someone's room. They just made sure the door was locked and there were no windows in case there were kids after school. No one cared. We were encouraged by the admin, actually. Our principals were all on teams.

21. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2010

I coach a girls running program, and I invite all of the staff to run/walk with us. We have 10 or so that join us 2 times a week. It's great.

22. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 17, 2010

No, not at all. They actually hired someone to do yoga and aerobics classes in our school gym a few years ago. Everyone would pay a weekly fee to go.

23. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 20, 2010

We start Monday. I am excited. I won't be able to do it for long because I was offered a second job and I think I'm going to take it. But maybe this will still be my motivation to keep up with them. Thanks for your responses.