Teachers working Abroad

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Aug 23, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

Do you ever plan on going back to the USA?

A coworker and I just had a conversation about how much more relaxed working abroad is. We don't have high stakes tests nor administration breathing down our necks. We have so much freedom to teach what is interesting and important. We have time to do labs and fun activities. We go on lots of field trips. Classes are small, kids are well behaved and we get all the resources we need. It's really awesome.

We both worked at Title One schools before this school and we both agreed if we went back, it wouldn't be to a Title One or a public school at all. And it's mostly because of the administration and "the suits" (district people) as we like to call them. We'll probably try to search out a Montessori school or at least private.

What are your opinions?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I would like to teach abroad.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

It's great! Do it!

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 23, 2012

I'd like to teach abroad, too. I have a few abroad options for student teaching but I don't know if I'd want to make myself even crazier by doing that.

6. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

Mike, what options do you have?

I was considering going to BU for college. Had I gone there, I might have gone abroad. The university I attended didn't offer student teaching abroad.

Lucy, it's really nice to hear how much freedom and how many resources they give in your school!

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 23, 2012

Australia (Kingaroy), Mexico (Puebla), or the UK (Cardiff, Wales; or Plymouth, England).

If I had to choose, I'd go with Cardiff, solely because that's where they shoot Doctor Who :lol:.

8. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 23, 2012

I taught abroad for several years (public and private). For me, public school challenges at the school I worked at in Spain were similar to those I saw here - lack of funding, large class sizes - I wasn't in charge of student letter grades so didn't experience the pressure that their regular teachers had from administration and testing, but I know they had some pressure. Younger teachers in particular had a really difficult time finding a good position and had to go through an extremely rigorous assessment process.

The private school I taught at in Costa Rica was similar to the environment you described, much more relaxed overall and fun to teach in.

I would look into private schools if you plan on coming back - it's really a world of difference. I teach private now, and there is a lot of freedom with curriculum, methods and styles. However, there are some very good public school districts that encourage this as well, so I wouldn't count them all out altogether!

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

Maybe it's a Costa Rica thing!:lol:

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

I would be interested in teaching abroad, except I don't really know how to go about doing it. What avenues are out there? I teach and speak French. Oh, and I have a husband -- do you have any idea if it's possible to do with a non-teaching spouse?

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 23, 2012

I got my job because a teacher tried teaching abroad. She wanted to try teaching overseas--China, I believe--for a year. I did her leave replacement. (I kept her job, and she was given another job. It was the same position, but another classroom.) She returned for a year or two, and then she decided to leave permanently! She loved it.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

I just moved to another country and applied for jobs when I got here. There are programs you can pay to go through. With or without non-teaching spouse.

13. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 23, 2012

I just moved back to the U.S. from abroad. My position abroad was challenging- I had really large class sizes, complete disarray of a system in reform, but I loved it. I think every place just has it's quirks. Now I am back in the U.S. and job hunting- it was so easy to find a job abroad and I wonder if I made the right choice in leaving!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

Be ready for a visitor if you do. :D I'll probably try to get a job with a DoD school in the UK or somewhere in Europe.

I wish I had the guts to just up and move to another country! I probably would if I didn't have a spouse or child.

I had a friend I graduated HS with that taught in S. Korea for a few years. She loved it! One of the posters here that used to post often did her student teaching in Ireland. How cool!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

I definitely enjoy teach abroad much more. The atmosphere is so much better, and since so many teachers are from abroad (half of our teaching staff), I don't feel isolated and out of touch with my people, making it very possible to stay here for a long period of time . Our grade-level head has been teaching at our school for 13 years, and many other teachers have been here for many, many years as well. When I think of teaching in the states now, it really makes me unhappy to think about the stress that's involved. I really don't know what the future holds, but things have worked out nicely and I am not thinking about going back, and I honestly don't know if I will.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

Financially speaking, it's smarter to land your job while still in your native country. Foreign teachers are paid much higher than national teachers, and we are talking a big difference. This is the case for American-type schools. We now have a competing Canadian school in the city which apparently pays very well, but of course, foreign teachers are given preference for the English-speaking positions, and that's where the money is.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

I hear of people using companies, but when I looked I just searched for international schools in the country. Then I started emailing. The nature of international schools is that teachers come in on contracts that generally last for two years. Many teachers will stay longer, but some will leave after the two years. The nature of these types of schools means that you will find openings fairly often. At our school, though, openings fill up really fast, and most international schools begin recruiting at around October at the earliest. So, someone looking to really do this needs to be very active about it early in the school year.

18. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 23, 2012

I did my student teaching in New Zealand. I would have stayed there and lived there forever but my parents decided to move to Paraguay and I felt like I had to come back and say goodbye to them. I couldn't afford to go back without a job and so I stayed...

And now I'm married to a man who never wants to move...

That's my sob story!:lol:

19. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

I loved teaching abroad, but two important factors sent me home:

1) I wasn't a fan of the socialized health care system in Spain - of course, now the U.S. seems to be headed in that direction.

2)Pay was much lower in my situation as a non-citizen - I hear the American schools pay well, but I never went that route. The private school I taught at in CR was owned by locals, and most of the teachers were like me, trying to get experience and enjoy life before we went back to the "real world." Actually, many teachers I worked with opened up their own schools in the Heredia area, and some have done well. Pay was just enough to get by and travel some. You could do more if you had savings, of course.

I found both jobs before moving, and I would advise the same, but it is possible. A friend of mine lost her teaching job in NJ a couple of years ago, and moved to the same area where I lived in CR without a job, but she was able to find one after she got there.

If you can teach abroad, go for it! I'd love to do it again somewhere new. It also looks great on the resume:)

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

The American schools pay very well for foreign hires. I would suggest anyone looking into teaching internationally really investigate the salary and benefits package that the school offers. The US government helps partially fund some of these American schools, which is why you find a better pay in those schools. But, only foreign hires are eligible for that sort of pay, which is why you want to land that job while in your native country.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

I'm far too much of a homebody to teach abroad.

I love to travel. But my mom is almost 83. I wouldn't want to be all that far away from her.

My home is here.

22. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2012

When I go abroad, I'd like to do it for vacation. :)

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

Hmmm...interesting.

24. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 26, 2012

I'm looking into teaching abroad next year. I have no spouse or dependents, and I'll only be 26 so it's a great time to go for it! I'm mostly interested in international schools but I don't think I'm going to use major recruiting companies like ISS or Search Associates. I registered for TIE online, however, because I've heard good things about their database.

International teaching has interested me for a long, long, long time, and now that I'm done my Masters degree, I feel like nothing is holding me back except for me. ;)

It's awesome seeing other international teachers on this forum! If any of you keep a blog or have advice for an aspiring international teacher, feel free to shout my way.

25. TheTeacherLady

TheTeacherLady Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

I am considering teaching abroad in the next 3-5 years. I think I'll stay where I am until I pay off my student loans and car payment, and until I have some money saved up. Luckily, I'm only 24 right now, so I have plenty of time to consider it. :) It sounds absolutely wonderful!