Teachers with rotten attitudes.

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by CyFair, Aug 15, 2006.

1. CyFair

CyFair Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Tomorrow is the first day of school, and I am very excited. I'll be teaching 6th grade language arts in a middle school.

Today the entire faculty gathered to go over some of the things we'll be doing tomorrow. I ended up sitting across from a few of the gym teachers. These guys were horrible. They kept making comments to each other about every teacher who spoke up to ask a question. They made fun of one woman's weight, they mentioned that they wished another woman would "shut the f--- up," and they talked the whole time. They giggled and snickered, used plenty of "f" words, and pretty much acted like jerks. (By the way, they were probably in their 30's.) They were frustrated that the meeting was being dragged out by so many questions, which I guess I can understand, but why do they have to be so nasty?

I was not one of the people asking questions, but one of the guys actually leaned over and said to me, "Can I give you some advice? When we're in these meetings and if you have a question about something, and it's not that important, just keep it to yourself, you know what I mean?" Then he said something like, "Don't you think all these questions are stupid?" I just shrugged and said I didn't mind.

Anyway ... ugh! I guess I know who I'll be avoiding now. Somebody please tell me that teachers like this are rare. I've known plenty of cynical and cranky teachers, but this is over the top.

3. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

not so rare...sorry to say it..but they are everywhere. But the swearing seems a little over the top. But there are tons of great friendly teachers out there...like many on these boards. I also avoid really negative teachers! good luck this year!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2006

Now you know who not to sit next to in meetings! Don't let it bother you too much; keep your enthusiasm!

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 15, 2006

Wow - reading your post makes me very thankful for my staff. We have a great group of teachers at my school. We all get along really well. I hope you can find some teachers at your school who are not so nasty, and then avoid those who are.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

unfortunately some people never grow up. I think these guys are still on summer vacation:rolleyes:

7. CyFair

CyFair Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Well, it's a big school, so it will be easy to avoid the negative people. Most of the people I've met are absolutely wonderful and supportive. I think it's going to be a great school year.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 19, 2006

The PE teachers at my school are excellent and will make great "classroom" teachers if they ever choose to do so !!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2006

There will be negative people anywhere you go, in any profession or area in life. Each of us makes the choice as to whether to take note of them or ignore them.

I say you choose different people with whom to sit, both at faculty meetings and lunch.

10. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

I agree that it is better to ignore them. Also, don't join in any discussion about thier bad behavior with any other the rest of the faculty. It may come back on you.

Unfortunately, in some schools, the faculty make us remember the worst of high school instead of the best of it. I am joining a terrific faculty but I am bothered that they rool their eyes and nudge each other when ever one particular teacher comes around. I see this teacher as quite helpful and kind.

She came to my room my first day I went to set up and she helped me measure and put up bulletin board paper....and she's the one who gave me the paper from her personal stash!!!

I usually befriend the underdog in most situations and I wonder what's going to happen because I can see myself being her friend but it won't go over well with the others.

It's a smal faculty of 20 teachers. I want to avoid trouble but I don't want to be standofish with her because of what others will think!!!! See.....just like high school!!!!LOL

11. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

We have a few of those coaches too and my students go to them for PE, yes soem of the theachers that have been teaching only 3-4 years I fell tend to have this attittude that their time is more valuable than anyone elses it stinks when they are around 1st year teachers but you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders I wiould just steer clear of them. You have fun with your first year!

12. CyFair

CyFair Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Well, my first week went very well. I've avoided the jerks, ignored the gossips, and am getting along very well with everyone else. And as Ann mentioned, I am not getting involved in any discussions of the bad behavior of the gym teachers. (And there has been a lot of that flying around.) I'm 35; I outgrew the need for gossip and drama a long time ago.

And for the record, I'm not anti-gym teacher. (Just in case I'm coming off that way.) I'm kind of an exercise nut, and at one time I considered becoming a gym teacher. I'm just not crazy about these gym teachers.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it was a great week! My students were good, the teachers on my team are wonderful, and I can't wait to go back up there tomorrow. :) :) :)

13. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

Sounds good! Enjoy!!

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 20, 2006

I am glad you had a great week at school! I am glad that I have to eat lunch with my self-contained class so I can avoid all of the lunchroom gossip and the "they ate lunch in their classroom together and they did not invite me..." drama.

15. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

OHHHHH!!!! I had forgotten all about the "can't win wherever you eat lunch situation". It's so true...you get pulled in the gossip in the faculty lounge and if you eat in your classroom alone or with anyone, you will be the gossip in the faculty lounge. Maybe the safest bet is to use Harry Potter's Invisible Cloak for privacy while we eat!! LOL

I'm at a new school this year and I need to think about what I will do for unch time now. A measly 20 minutes and I have to plan for this!!! Just like high school!!

16. kimmy1223

kimmy1223 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

It is illegal to keep special ed self contained student separate if they are in a public school

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 20, 2006

I teach an autism class so it is pretty well up to me as to whether or not I join the general population for lunch. My students needs come first:) . For now we eat in the student lunchroom but I have to stay with my class (some of my students are mainstreamed for lunch but my parapro sits with them too) and the reg. ed. students are watched by lunchroom supervisors. Reg. ed classroom teachers only have to sit with their students for the 1st week of school.

18. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

:) You do need to do what's best for your group and who knows them better than you.

19. kimmy1223

kimmy1223 Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

You do best for your students and I dont believe that children should be excluded even when they have a handicap.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2006

My students are autistic and a lot of them have sensory issues (some are sensitive to noise, bright lights, being shuffled in a crowd, )....and sitting in a lunchroom with almost 300 other students can be overwhelming for them. I would rather exclude them than have to restrain them in the lunchroom with 300 pairs of eyes staring at them (Yes, the the other students magically stop talking when a student begins screaming or tries to run away due to being stressed) due to the behaviors they may exhibit due to sensory overload. Unfortunately the lunchroom routine will not be changed for 11 students - although they now dim the lights for 7 minutes when every child in the lunchroom must eat silently.

It is important to be knowledgeable about specific disabilities before making such a blanket statements. We have to do what is best for the children rather than what one will feel will be "politically correct". Some students need to be taught coping skills before being thrown into the general school population. We shouldn't make a situation traumatic for a child just because WE feel they should be included.

21. kimmy1223

kimmy1223 Rookie

Aug 23, 2006

I have a child who has a disability and thank god she dosent have a teacher like you. My goal along with a group of other parents is to close "special" schools and include all children in the public school system

22. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 23, 2006

Kimmy - I'm not want to start a fight, but that wasn't nice to say "thank god she doesn't have a teacher like you." Everyone has their own style of teaching and certainly I feel not knowing the children I can't judge what is the best thing to do for the lunch situation. I can only read what is posted and offer suggestions. Again, please know I'm not trying to pick a fight. This board is for offering suggestions and learning from each other. We should do just that! :)

As far as suggestions, perhaps try to include the children "slowly" by easing them into the lunch routine. Perhaps if you can start with 1 -2 days a week in the cafeteria and see if it goes well and then add more days as the year progresses. Make it consistent days of the week so that children can get eased into the routine. Make sense? Just a suggestion.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2006

My goal, and the goal of many of the teachers here, is to provide the absolute best education we're capable of, for each of our students. Proud has stated valid reasons for keeping her kids out of the cafeteria-- autistic kids with sensory issues in a bright, crowded, noisy cafeteria. I would think that subjecting these kids to such an enviornment (as the cafeteria) would be an act of cruelty.

I hope that all my kids end up with teachers as caring as Proud!

24. PKoleas

PKoleas Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

I've found (and I'm new as well) that teachers behave in the same mannner as students. Many teachers who conduct themselves in the manner in which you describe, would NEVER allow their students to do the same. A bit hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

25. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Aug 24, 2006

Wow, I know many of you have your own ideas of special need kids especialy if you have one, but I am like Proud, I have one student who cannot eat in the cafeteria due to the noise and things on the walls over stimulate him, it is in his IEP goals to eventually be able to do this and we try it once a week but once a week he does not eat and we wind up taking his food back to class. There are so many things you MUST consider with a special ed class, yes it is great to have them all in the same class, but if you have a child so severe that it disturbs everyone in the class; although your child is mainstreamed,and the law states your child has the right to a normal education, your child could be taking away the rights of the average kids to have an education. I do not know the severity of your child, so I am not stating this is your child but I am in a special needs classroom, I try all day to keep my kids in the community.
    I also don't think all classrooms act like their teachers at lunch or anywhere else, every one of my classes has been different every year. Some are very sociable and some are not, I for one am very sociable but work in a communication classroom where most of my kids do not talk or interact with other and I really do not find that to be the case with other teachers at my school. I feel bad for you if your school is like that that makes for a bad learning and working environment.

I am sorry if I hurt anyones feelings, but those 2 posts upset me quite a bit being a Special Needs teacher

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2006

sorry, I'm losing track. To which post are you referring?

27. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

Alice...you make me laugh because I read that same post this morning, read it again, started a reply, erased it, read it again then finally just realized I had no idea what the post was in reply to. I spent a good 10 minutes going through all this then moved on to another thread. LOL I have too much time on my hands this summer!:) :D :) :D :) :D

But, I'm still wondering what it's all about too.:confused: :confused:

28. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Aug 24, 2006

The best I advice I received concerning negativity was from my cooperating teacher. She told me that she had learned just to stay in her room and worry about the kids because that's why she's there. These types of teachers spend a lot of their time gossiping about the other teachers (and even students . . . please, I do not want to spend my tiny little lunch break talking about them when it's my only time with other adults), so be careful to whom you complain or tell anything that could put you in a bad light.

We just had the meanest teachers retire. They were so mean that very professional and respectable people -- the department chair and the assistant principal -- warned me not to interact with them. I think one of them was a narcissist. She went to the greatest lengths to try to sabotage my friend from getting her class schedule after she retired (lied, convinced another teacher to attend a conference, etc.), and then she refused to share her materials. The last day, as she and her crony were leaving forever, they stopped by my room to rage at me (instead of telling me that my not doing a feature on them in the paper was disappointing, they accused me of doing it to spite them and yelled and yelled and yelled . . . "But it is YOUR responsibility! This was a BIG MISTAKE! HUGE!" etc.). Why would you want to end your entire career on such a note? But for every teacher like that there are several good ones, so don't let the bad apples get you down. :) I mean, think about it, that's all they have to show for their lives . . . being petty and cruel. It's sad really.

29. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Aug 24, 2006

P.S. I think PKoleas is referring to teachers who expect good behavior from their students but don't exhibit it themselves. It's the same phenomenon that I see when teachers talk during meetings. They would never let students talk while they're teaching, but for some reason there are teachers who think it's ok to do that in the middle of a meeting. It's the "lost in a sea of faces" phenomenon. In a big class, it can be impersonal for a student, and so somehow having a conversation during a lesson doesn't seem rude.

30. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 24, 2006

Kimmy1223,

My students are in a public school and they are mainstreamed into the regular program as soon as they are able. The majority of them are mainstreamed for Specials and some are mainstreamed for academics in a regular ed. class that is working at their learning level. I have one student who is out of my self-contained classroom and is a full-time student in a regular ed. 4th grade classroom.

I am sorry you would not want someone who is always looking out for what is best for her students and is willing to put in extended hours including weekend hours to prepare for their program. I have taught students to read after their parents were told by doctors that the best they could hope for was their learning to tie their shoes (unfortunately due to poor motor skills some are still unable to tie their shoes). I have helped parents toilet train their school aged children. I have had parents tell me that their child cannot dress themselves but this same child had been undressing and redressing himself (after accidents) since the second week he arrived, with minimal verbal prompts. I have made students with such severe phonological impairments where they may sometimes have to draw a picture to communicate, know what it is like to feel comfortable with their speech impairment and to talk and share with their classmates and also know what it is like to be accepted and loved by their peers.

Yes, there have been times when I have disagreed with parents but we have always been able to meet in the middle and communicate on a daily basis to re-evaluate our decision.

Please remember what you feel is best for your child may not be best for another child. We are all different; we have different beliefs, we react to the same things differently and we learn differently.

Lucky for my students I have a tough outer layer kimmy1223 and I don't let their parents' harsh words affect the way I relate to them. No kimmy1223, you would be LUCKY if your child had a teacher like me, who will put his/her best interests first, have high expectations for him/her and went out of their way to ensure that he/she experienced success socially and in their educational career!!

31. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 24, 2006

Proud2BATeacher: I sure would want my kids in your class!! :)

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2006

Well said, Proud!!

33. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 25, 2006

I can see from all of your posts that you put a lot into your work Proud! You could teach my kids any day!:) :love: :) :love: :)

34. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2006

You sound like an amazing teacher Proud. Good Job! :)

35. KinderCali

KinderCali Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

just what the doctor ordered

Proud,

You make me proud that we are in the same profession.

I almost cried when I read your post! Keep rockin'!

KinderCali

36. kimmy1223

kimmy1223 Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

Do you walk on water also? give me a break

37. AtoZAdmin

AtoZAdmin Forum Administrator

Aug 31, 2006

Personal attacks aren't welcome here - I'm not sure why you've chosen to bring them out in this thread (starting with the comment about not wanting your child in Proud2BATeacher's class). Please follow forum policy from now on and address the issues rather than attacking someone personally.

38. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 31, 2006

Thank you Amanda. I was getting all fired up reading, and saw that you posted.

I just want to say that all you teachers out there are not appreciated as much as you should be. Parents have no idea what you go through to get a classroom up and running. I spent 9 hours today helping my teacher get her classroom ready. I don't know how she would have managed, seeing she was in meetings for 5 of the 9 hours she was there. I stayed and helped her till the end, even though I only got paid for 5 of those hours. You are never told how much you are appreciated, or how much hard work goes into planning, implementing, etc. I hope and pray that I can be half as good as most of the teachers on this board. You are all a blessing to your children, and as an aide and a parent, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  39. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 1, 2006

Thank you Wifemomteach06, Sometimes it is only the aids that see how much time and effort we teachers put into our classes and how much WE CARE for our kids.

40. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2006

Proud- I know how hard you work. I don't work in a classroom at the current time, but I worked as direct care staff for 13 years in a children's residence. I also know firsthand what it is like working with a child on the autistic spectrm- My best friend's youngest son is 6 years old. It is an overwhelming task to even take him into a grocery store. The flashing lights at the deli counter can trigger a tantrum.

Life for both parent and child is not easy...... I just wanted to let everyone know that to put a child in a situation just because everyother kid is doing it is very very unfair. Different children have different needs and if eating requires a different environment then so be it.

41. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2006

Well said Frizz! I'm a parent of 2 boys on the autism spectrum. It is important to remember that fair does not always mean equal! Both of my boys are very different in their needs. Their IEP's reflect those differences......they are treated very fairly yet have completely different expectations and goals. It is important to remember and to treat these special needs children as individuals and never to lump them together as one group. Proud has made it very clear to me (as a mom of two special needs children), that she takes each individual child's needs into account. That is exactly what I want from my boy's Special Ed teachers.