Teachers with long hair - how do you wear it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsRed, Jun 28, 2014.

1. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jun 28, 2014

I have long hair, and it's always kind of frizzy and I get flyaways. I usually just wear it in a ponytail, but even my ponytail is frizzy and not very professional looking at times. Any suggestions?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

1. down
    2. in a ponytail
    3. in a messy bun, especially when I have a bad hair day or don't feel like dealing with it.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

Exactly this. Mine is down 90% of the time until May hits. Then it tends to go up. (hotter, I'm tearing apart my room, I'm too tired to get up early, etc...)

MrsRed- do you ever straighten it? My hair can be frizzy in humidity. It is naturally wavy, too, so if I brush it out dry, it is pouffy (think Kirstie Alley in the 80s/early 90s).

5. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 28, 2014

My hair goes to my mid back. I usually wear it in a low ponytail, just to keep it out of my face, but sometimes I do half up (using a clip), all down straight, all down curled, high ponytail, french braid, bun...basically whatever I feel like that day and whatever looks best with my top (it's weird like that- like, some shirts look better with my hair down).

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

When my hair was long, it was always in a ponytail. I used to japanese straighten my hair so it wasn't frizzy. It's just my hair down makes me hot. Sometimes I'd throw it up in a traditional bun. No messy buns.

Now that my hairs short and curly (I'm growing it out) I still straighten it and put it in a ponytail. I just don't like my hair down at work I guess no matter the length.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

My hair is down past my shoulders. I leave it down, although my girls always seem to enjoy putting it in a ponytail for me.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

I wear mine lots of different ways. When I'm lazy it goes in a low ponytail and is frizzy as can be! And I don't really care about how "professional" that looks.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2014

Mine is usually in a piny tail or clip. I try to wear it down and it just gets in my way so up it goes.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 28, 2014

Mine goes to my waist. It pretty much always lives in a bun.

11. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 28, 2014

My hair sounds similar. While it doesn't get too frizzy in the humidity, it's naturally wavy and a little on the dry side. I was straightening it, which was pretty, but a lot of work in the mornings. Lately I've been putting a hair cream for curls in it right after the shower, and it keeps it in soft, loose waves throughot the day. It will be good for early mornings this coming year...and it's healthier for my hair! It's almost to my mid-back.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

What is the name of the hair cream? I don't hate leaving my hair wavy, but it frizzes and poufs out without product. And I hate 'crunchy' hair.

I despise spending time on my hair. I usually take a shower at night and let my hair air dry. I then straighten it in the morning. It usually takes 5 minutes tops.

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 29, 2014

When my hair is curly, it's several inches past my shoulders. When it's straight, it hits my mid to lower back. Even if I leave it down when I leave the house, it's always up in a messy up do most of the day. I can't stand to wear my hair down, even when it looks pretty.

14. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 29, 2014

I ALWAYS wear mine in a lower bun/ponytail. Occasionally I will wear it half up/half down. My hair is naturally curly.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 29, 2014

I do this "updo" thing with mine usually- I twist the hair into a long "roll" and then twist it up so it makes a half bun with loose hair at the top and I twist a hair tie over it. (Can't find a picture of it)

Otherwise, if I put it up I'll start with a ponytail, but on the last time I'm twisting it through hair tie I'll only pull it half way out creating a poofy bun that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

If I wear my hair down, I use a thin elastic hair band to keep the hair out of my face.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2014

My hair has a tendency to frizz in humidity as well. I use coconut oil and Redkin curl cream after I wash my hair - keeps nice, soft curls that don't frizz.

I wear low ponytails, buns, clip it up, braid it, or wear it down (when the humidity is low).

17. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 29, 2014

Oh, that's not a lot of time! :) I'm just wearing mine curly because I'm trying to embrace my natural hair more.

It's Marc Jacobs Curl Envy. It comes in a yellow bottle and is like $7 dollars at Walmart. I just use about a quarter size for my whole head. I will say, however, that I put a little bit of gel in my hair first and do a scrunching motion. I felt that the cream alone didn't define my curls enough. So the gel helps to get my hair into the little curls, and then I go over it with the Curl Envy cream, which softens them up and makes them loose.

I HATE crunchy hair.

18. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 29, 2014

My hair goes down to the middle of my back. Sometimes I wear a low ponytail, but the vast majority of the time I wear it down.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 29, 2014

I have long hair. I always wear it down, but sometimes pull back the sides. I have a tattoo on the back of my neck that most collars cover, but not all.

20. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 29, 2014

Almost always up in a bun, sometimes in a French braid. My hair is as long as my back.

21. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

Thanks everyone! I guess another issue is that I HATE spending time on my hair in the mornings, especially now that I have a one-year-old. I will try some of these suggestions.

I have straightened it in the past, but it has honestly been about five years since I last did it. I don't even know where my straightening iron is!

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2014

I'm totally with you on the time thing! I have it down to a science. I take a shower at night, let it air dry, straighten in the morning. It usually takes me about 5 minutes to straighten it.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2014

I wear my hair down every day to work. I just wet it a little, put some mousse in, and I'm ready to go. I used to wear my hair in ponytails a lot, but I always hated how unprofessional it was. My hair started to get easier to manage when I was in Hawaii, and it's stayed that way since I moved back home.

24. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

My hair is long and naturally very wavy an has a lot of curl..think cindy brady pipe curls:D so I keep it down and wear headbands a lot..i have an assortment of them so I use them almost everyday.

In the summer time, bcuz its soooooooo hott I wear it up in a high ponytail or just wrap the curls in a big ol' bun and this is the look currently for summer school, or around the house when I am not working, running errands, etc.

25. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 2, 2014

If I wash my hair at night it is still damp in the morning. It takes about five minutes to blow-dry at that point. Straightening takes about 25 minutes after that. But I can go without washing it for a couple of days so that 30 minutes breaks down to ten minutes per day.

I don't always do this though. The intial 30 minutes is hard to find!

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2014

If i haven't showered by 7, mine will be wet in the am too. If I showered later than that, I have to do just a few minutes of blow drying.
    I use my flat iron on the highest setting :blush: I can do bigger chunks and not have to go over them multiple times.

27. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 2, 2014

I usually wear mine down. I shower at night. Most mornings I don't even have to bother with straightening it as long as I dried it well the night before.

I usually cut my hair short though at the beginning of the school year.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2014

Alright, I lied. It took me 7 1/2 minutes to straighten my hair. I timed myself this morning ;)

29. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2014

My hair is shoulder length, not long but not short either. I just had it trimmed. If I don't blow dry it gets weird waves. I blow dry it & then either pull it back with a headband or leave it straight. Sometimes it needs the help of the straightener.

30. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 6, 2014

My hair is prone to frizz, so i always have a ponytail holder on my wrist or in my pocket to whip it back into a ponytail or a bun. even when it isn't frizzy, my hair tends to fall in my face when i lean forward and tries to get into my mouth if I'm eating (gross).

When I wear my hair down, I like to throw on a headband so it looks pretty and stays away from my eyes, face and mouth. when i don't have a headband i use my sunglasses to hold my hair, but that's only in a pinch b/c it looks so unprofessional.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 6, 2014

What products are you using to help with the frizz? I spray my hair with a leave in conditioner after I wash it (with shampoo and regular conditioner) then let it air dry. Sometimes I use gel or style cream. I like wearing my hair down and don't want to put it up so I have to take measures to make sure it doesn't look frizzy.

32. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 6, 2014

I live in Florida and frizz is an issue! I love the leave in conditioner called "It's a 10!" It's expensive but totally worth it. My hair is straight on its own but has developed a wave in the back ever since I had my son.

I really want to try one of those flat irons that you can use on wet hair. I saw one at Ulta the other day and it looks promising! Any success with it, anyone?!

33. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 6, 2014

This is what I do too! Shower, air dry over night and then straighten in the morning. I only straighten every other day since it doesn't need to washed everyday. It's usually always down M-Th because I am wearing slacks, dresses or skirts. On Fridays, since I wear a school shirt and jeans I will sometimes put it up in a ponytail or bun.

34. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 6, 2014

I love this convo!! I was just thinking the other day I wanted something better to do with my hair.

Most of the time I do half up in a clip. Sometimes a ponytail but I don't like that I end up with an awkward wave from that. When my hair is longer I do a bun but I don't like how my hair is when it starts getting really long...

35. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014

I don't really do ponytails, so I wear my hair down 99% of the time. The other 1% I wear it in a low bun.

36. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2014

I can't wear my hair down, I don't know how people stand it! I get so hot with my hair on my neck. That and it gets all tangled during the day by the end it's just a mess. And that's if it's not windy in the morning and it gets blown all over my face before I even get to my car.

I wear ponytail variations. High ponytail, side ponytail, braid my bangs back into a ponytail, twist the front into a ponytail, french braid front into a ponytail, bangs in a poof into ponytail, double pony tail, etc.

My hair isn't quite long enough yet, but I also wear braids, french braids and fish bone side braids.

37. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 7, 2014

Very trendy lucybelle!
    Oh man I wish I could braid my hair...I was practicing this weekend lol but it's not quite long enough yet...

38. hu615570

hu615570 New Member

Sep 18, 2014

well,My hair is really short,so I don't need to do that things with my own hair,but I have to do it on my hair extensions,which bought from besthairbuy,a wholesaler specialized in hair extensions for women's beauty.and I think it interesting to deal with it!

39. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 18, 2014

So I grabbed one of those donut sponge things this summer to try and I LOVE it. I wear it almost every day. It keeps my hair up and out of my face, it's super secure and when I take it out, my hair has lovely curls that I can wear down if I want.

Here are some late-night-still-at-work selfies of mine today:

[​IMG]

You can see a YouTube video of how to do it here.