Teachers who have taken maternity leave

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elm512, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Sep 11, 2011

I found out recently that we are expecting and due in May. Is there a standard # of weeks teachers usually leave for maternity? With my first I gave birth at 36W4D and with my 2nd 38W, both naturally. I do NOT want to work until I go into labor!

3. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

It may depend on what your contract says. Last year, I worked up until the day before I was induced. In my district, we are only allowed to take up to 12 weeks. If you took any more time than that, it was not guaranteed that you would return to your same position. I only took 8 weeks because I wanted to save up some of my leave in case my son or I got sick during the rest of the school year. Also, maternity leave is not necessarily paid leave. It depends on how much sick leave you have stored up. My district would not allow me to take any unpaid leave until I used my paid sick leave days. Some places allow employees going on maternity leave to use the sick leave bank, but each place may have it's own rules for that.

All in all, check with your human resources department to find out how it all works in your district.

4. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Sep 11, 2011

I'm hoping to take off at 37 weeks. This would be like the last day or 2 in April, and 6 weeks before the end of school. We can take 6-8 weeks before having to use FMLA. We can take leave before birth with the note of a doctor (no problem for me, I had an unexplained placental abruption that almost killed me AND my son, he doesn't even want me working NOW!) I will have enough leave through sick, personal, annual and extended sick to cover about 4 weeks. The other 2 we can eat. Just wanted to make sure 37 wasn't too early by "social" standards.. it seems most women at my school work until they pop (although, they have no little ones at home.. this is #3 for us!)

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 11, 2011

I had to leave to go on bedrest at 26 weeks, so I am no help, but I think 37 weeks sounds good to me!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

I'm in a Catholic school; I have no idea whether or not that matters.

The only child for whom I worked through the pregnancy was Julia. (Brian is adopted, and I was a SAHM for Kira.)

I worked all day February 3rd. I took Brian to the pediatrician for an ear infection, hit CVS for his prescription, went to the chiropractor-- I had pulled out my back a few weeks prior with a little slip on the ice-- came home and went into labor. She was born at 8:30 am the next day.

I took 6 weeks maternity leave.

(I also took 6 weeks when Brian arrived from Korea, but that's a different story.)

7. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Sep 11, 2011

I took off when I was 38 weeks with my 2nd (my first was born over Christmas break, so that was easy). I'm actually planning on working up until this Friday Sept 16. I'll be 38 weeks with my 3rd kiddo then. And I'm planning on taking 12 weeks just like I did with my other two. I have a great sub and she can handle it til I get back.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 11, 2011

I think planning on leaving at 37 weeks is perfectly reasonable. My first came early and my second, while term, was a little early too. I worked right up until labor. It does make those last weeks go a lot faster!

Please, please, please, do not assume that this baby will be early though! I have had a few friends in the same situation as you - both first babies were early. Then their third ones were late and they had to be induced! By the time they took off and the babies were actually born they each had a LONG month to wait! Prepare as though the baby will be early but don't expect it just in case!

Congrats!

9. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Sep 11, 2011

Thanks so much for the replies!!

I wouldn't mind ONE BIT if he/she decided to come at 40 weeks... 3 weeks of "vacation" while my kids are at school (aka time for mommy to get ready for the baby and nap and watch reality TV..hehe) sounds HEAVENLY!!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

But would that mean less time AFTER the baby? ( I have no idea, just posing the question.)

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 12, 2011

I'm guessing she is planning on returning next school year either way, since the baby will be 12ish weeks old.