Teachers who have children in school.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 20, 2019

I have two children in school. Both of them excel in their studies and have found success in the classroom, in extracurricular activities, have friends, and seem to enjoy life...... They both tell me and my wife that they hate school..... I'm trying to square this circle.... please help me understand why they would say this....

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2019

Because they have to sit in a chair most of the day listening and engaging in things that do not really interest them. I get it and I loved school for almost everything but the school part. And I did not have a phone or computer or myriad of other things to draw my attention back then. Be glad they have the work ethic to do well at something they profess to dislike. My daughter is the same and she is making really good grades.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2019

I have 4 children, 3 of which have graduated high school and college. I never once heard them say they hated school. They got up, went to school. All of them were successful 10% or higher in their classes. Took college or dual credit classes Did extra stuff, had friends, made friends. Well rounded kids. My youngest is all the above and more. She is in top 3 of her class, does all kinds of extra activities ( and I do mean all kinds tennis, band, color guard, NHS, theatre, student council) and literally every day I hear I HATE SCHOOL!!!!! The only reason I can give or think of is the three oldest stayed home until kindergarten basically. My youngest son did go to daycare one year when I started college to become a teacher. The youngest has been in daycare since she was 4 months old. I feel bad some days that I didn't give her that time with me, but it's just not possible. Despite being so active she truly is my homebody. She hates to go out of the house for anything. You are not alone in the I HATE SCHOOL thing. She begs me to home school her. (not happening for a lot of reasons)

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 20, 2019

I'm going to be honest and say the vast majority of the time, students (at least in HS, but also in the younger grades) HATE school when they seem popular to parents and teachers, but they aren't popular with the kids at school they most want to be like. They also HATE the regimen of school - they want independence, but they're not quite there yet. Sadly, many of them will go off to college thinking that all college can offer the is freedom from having parental guidance/oversight. My pat answer was always the same - you think HS is hard, but college is worse, in a great way. I believe that is true.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 20, 2019

Huh. My first grader generally loves school. She's pretty average for a student, but she is the type that likes the scholarly regimen.

7. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Nov 20, 2019

I hated school. Loved college, though.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  8. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Nov 20, 2019

I went to Catholic schools From K-3. I enjoyed it. Then went to public schools 4-6. It was easy and fun, so I loved it. I started hating Catholic schools when I went back in grades 7-10. Many kids were spoiled rotten, materialistic, mean, and they had their cliques. I argued often with my parents about going to those schools. I was sick of the religious curriculum and the fake students. I was really unhappy and just wanted to go to high school with my neighborhood friends and play football with them. My parents finally gave in. At the public hs I posted my best grades in years due to being happy, being with friends, and taking classes that interested me. If I had not made the switch, I probably would have quit, gotten kicked out of the house, and never went to college.
    Irony is, I ended up going to a Catholic college, because it was local and they offered a major that interested me. The college did not force religion on you. It was the best of times.

In short, I discovered that being happy at school cultivates success. Not much different than an adult being happy with your job. It's true what they say about "If you love your job.."

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2019

I loved school so much, I decided to never leave...I have two Masters degrees and teach high school, and probably the only thing I would ever leave for would be to teach college.

I wasn't a "popular" kid because I was way too nerdy, but I found my niche and my "people" in the music/arts/drama program, and that is what got me through high school socially. I think if kids "hate school," it may be because they haven't found that "thing" that can be their anchor and home when things get tough.

Backroads likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 22, 2019

Yes, I think they need to find their thing. What they're good at and what they like to do. When I was in school I was a good student but I didn't necessarily love school (except for certain subjects). I did have after school activities to look forward to and hanging out in the library at lunch time with my nerdy group (the cafeteria was too loud so we couldn't read). If some kids are bored at school they might say they hate it because they just rather be doing something else.

11. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Nov 22, 2019

I got good grades, but hated school when I was a student because:
    1. I felt like every adult at the school was out to get me. I felt the the teachers and admin were just walking around waiting to get me in trouble for something. All I heard in the hallways, before school, at lunch, in study hall, and in some of my classes was, "Stop. No. Don't do that. Do this instead." I had some teachers that I enjoyed, but overall, I didn't feel accepted or supported at school.

2. Keeping up with my peers was impossible. I had friends, but everything felt so competitive and I felt like I was always losing. I didn't get first chair. I didn't get the highest grade. I was constantly compared to others, and we were all trying to do the same thing.

3. I don't like crowds of people. They give me anxiety. Walking through a crowded hallway every 45 minutes is the stuff of my nightmares. Shoving through people to get to a bathroom... dealing with a loud, crowded lunch room...

To this day, these are all things I hate, and I've avoided them in my adult life. I found a school with supportive admin. I don't place myself in competitive environments and avoid competitive people. Instead, I seek out teammates. I avoid crowds at all costs (I get to school at 6:30 to avoid them!) I think I would still dislike my high school.

For this reason, I'm committed to helping my child find a school that they won't hate as they get older.

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 22, 2019

This may be different in your case, but I have seen some kids who have fun at school, do well, and have friends, but they tell their parents they hate school. I think it is a way to get their parent's attention. IDK It does concern/bother their parents.
    Looking back, the only thing I really liked about school was the social aspect of it most of the time ( youngest child). I got good grades because my parents expected it. I never complained about it though because I knew I'd be listening to a long lecture about how we all have to do things we don't want to in life and to get used to it! lol
    I never once planned to be a teacher even. I ended up in a teaching program after the U lost accreditation in my field of study. I ended up liking it for a long time. So...it worked out.
    I only remember 1 period in time that my 1 kid complained that he hated school. It was due to a move to a school with a highly different approach to learning/teaching. I think the initial transition was just hard for him.
    If she seems happy overall, will she tell what she hates exactly?
    There maybe somethings she hates. I think youngest children tend to like to have fun a little more than older kids. School sometimes puts restrictions on kids that the youngest really doesn't like. :) I think most people are more laid back w/ the youngest. Just my experience...:)

Backroads likes this.